turbo boost actuator

Started by Anonymous, September 9, 2013, 20:19

Anonymous

Been thinking about actuators as the one on mine don't open until 7 psi and I really want it to be 3-4 psi if not lower. Trouble is I can't find one to do that. But all this got me thinking is there any electronic actuator kit that could be used to control it.

As I see it something like that would respond quicker and keep the wastegate shut when not wanted helping with spool.

What do you guys think?

stupink

Small bit on garrett/honeywell.
 m http://turbo.honeywell.com/our-technolo ... actuation/ m

in theory you can use it, but i'd be suprised if you can find an aftermarket kit to control an actuator like that suitably.

and you're probably right about not finding an actuator that will open at 3-4psi, because theres going to be a minimum spring strength or the penny valve will blow open instead of turning the turbine.  not sure what the lowest psi is, but i've seen 0.3bar actuators before on standard cars running electronic boost controllers (anything not electronicly controlled will have a stronger actuator) so that may be the limit..  my old calibra turbo if i recall was 0.3bar on a standard actuator. plenty of other options too.

sorry quite jabbery writing.. very tired words falling onto page quicker than brain puts them in order  s:D :D s:D
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

spit

I'm all for keeping things simple, so know nothing about electronic actuator technology. Sorry   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I wonder if you can get adjustable mechanical wastegates where you dial in the opening pressure from piddly to woahh by pre-tensioning the spring? Or is that silly?

We had an actuator problem on Kris's C2 install and went for a replacement actuator as the optimum weekend solution. I believe it originated from a Saab. Weak spring, it only allowed the Garrett 4-5psi max until we put the mechanical BC into the feed pipe. That'd fit with the 0.3 Bar theory.

Kinugawa (or something like that) is a name that I vaguely remember - I think they make actuators across a range of pressures...... I'm not sure how good or cr@p they are!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: