car hesitating on acceleration

Started by pumpx, September 10, 2013, 20:07

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "mrzwei"Yeah, that would make more sense. On re-reading the article they were referring to a diesel   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
oh dear  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The causes of many of these things is annoying simple when you find it ... usually.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

hc06nch

Hi pumpx,
I don't suppose that you have an OBDII reader that can log live data from the car? If not, it may be worth getting hold of one - when I had a very similar problem to what you're describing here with my old BMW 318i I managed to eventually work out what the problem was by using this data. I think getting some basic information from the car's ECU would start to narrow down what this problem might be...
Regards,
Nick

pumpx

i have a bluetooth obdII reader thats sending data to my phone on the torque app.
im not sure if logs live data and how to find out if it does

hc06nch

I haven't used the torque app before, but it looks like it's able to get hold of useful info. If you can work out how to do it, go for a drive and log the 'fuel trim' value whilst doing so (from what I can see you're able to do this by adding a display -> Fuel/Air info). At the time you get the hesitation in acceleration you're talking about, is the the fuel trim a (-) or (+) % value, and generally by how much?

pumpx

it was hard to get exact numbers but as far as i could see the short term fuel trim was -1,6% and the long term fuel trim was -5,5 % at the fault point.
the fuel system status was: closed loop, using o2 sensor for fuel mix.
does this help i any way to know what the fault could be?

hc06nch

Not what I was expecting really - the values you've given seem ok, and suggest no fuel starvation. To me this would rule out problems with fuel supply (clogged filter, faulty pump etc.), and probably point to there being no vac leaks on the intake either. Can't really suggest anything without a little more detailed info, which I'm not sure torque would be able to supply - sorry I can't be more help...

I did wonder whether the vvt-i system may have something to do with it... I have absolutely no experience of vvt-i so know very little about how/when exactly it operates, but I have heard of people having problems with 'jumpy'/'hesitant' acceleration and this being the cause of the problem. I'm sure somebody on here can advise regarding this, and will more than likely give numerous reasons why this suggestion is not likely to be the case!

pumpx

i tried to listen to the engine while its idling and found out that this part was ticking like a diesel engine.
is it suppose to do that and is there any way to test if the part works ( the blue green one)

Wabbitkilla

Yes that valve does tick, it's the VSV valve and uses vacuum from the intake to suck fumes from the petrol tank through the carbon cannister.
Must say I think it's mainly operational under throttle.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

pumpx

ok so it isnt that part thats making all the fuzz then?
well it ticked when the car was idling and when i drove it no difference in ticking.
is it any way to test if its functions properly?

Wabbitkilla

Yes, take it off and try blowing through it, then attach 12v across the terminals and it should click and let you blow.

12v = open
0v = closed

pumpx

tried to blow with the car of no air flow.
started the car and tried to blow if, any air came through it must have been minimal.
didnt hear the click

Wabbitkilla

The car pulses the valve under certain conditions, the only way to test the valve is to take it off and use a battery

pumpx

okey i will try that.
do i have to use a car battery or do you think a regular 9v would be enough?

Wabbitkilla

Don't know about 9v, but a 12v car battery will ... i've done it and it's what it's designed for.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Tip ... small speaker spade female connectors slide straight on the terminals of the valve   s:D :D s:D  
You don't need to worry about which side goes to +ve as it's just a coil solenoid and isn't interested.

pumpx

ok thanks  s:) :) s:)

pumpx

tested the vsv it functioned properly so its not that part

andyhull

My 2 had a very similar issue mate, and I checked everything as you have. I cleaned the MAF and it was still the same, so I took out the MAF and started the car. It ticked over fine and throttled up perfect to around 3000rpm at which point it then starts acting up. ( normal with MAF unpluged )
So I bought a new one and hey ho it cured the whole issue. Now I know you said you have replaced the MAF, but it could be a duffer mate. If you have any 2 owners close to you, ask them if you can swap out the MAF to test it.

I am not saying this is the cause mate, but there are deffo reports about bad MAF's coming off ebay, I was lucky and got a good one
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

pumpx

i have tried to use the maf i had inn my previous mr2 that i know functioned it didnt help

pumpx

well changing the fuel filter didnt do much  s:( :( s:(
tried to unplug the maf again just to be sure and problem was still there so not the maf either.
i am clueless on what to do next.
i really feel like just selling it right now and buy another car :/

redarrow

Drive to the nearest member willing to help
And try there maf sorry but sounds maf...

But only a guess these maf are centernental
Trust me one day they seem ok another
There broke very weired stuff.

There a pipe under one of the front
Headlights see that connected properly ok.

Might be a hole in a pipe even a pin hole
Makes huge diffrence.

You can also do a exhuast joint cheek use
A paper or tissue to look for escaping air.
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

pumpx

i cant possibly think that all my 3 mafs are bad.
what pipe are you talking about and under what front headlight.
how do i find out if there is a hole in one of the pipes i already tried finding a vacuum leak with a can of carburetor cleaner.
didnt find anything.

Wabbitkilla

I've no idea what pipe Redarrow is on about, and I've been mucking about with these cars for over six years.

I wonder, were these MAF's new / known quantities, were they from Toyota and did you reset the ecu after fitting one of the replacements?
You don't say where you are in your profile so it's hard for any other members to offer any more help other than the to-and-fro of ideas and guesses here.

normanh

Does your yellow engine light come on when you turn the ignition on? I suspect someone may have done the bulb in to hide a fault, if so get a code reader on pronto it could be something silly like a coilpack or injector playing up. To be frank I thought a dodgy fuel filter was a bit more than a long shot more like a non runner in the race.
Norman

mrzwei

Quote from: "pumpx"its an Norwegian car since i live in norway
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "mrzwei"
Quote from: "pumpx"its an Norwegian car since i live in norway

Duh ... sorry!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tags: