Big end cap bolts torque spec

Started by Gustavo7, September 13, 2013, 04:58

Gustavo7

Hi all!

I have replaced the big end bearings on my MR2, toyota spec for the con rod cap bolts is:

1s step: 20nm
2ns step: 1/4 turn.

I dont think it is really accurate. I have decided to go 26nm in one step.

I was advised by some members here to follow the original torque spec, apparently 26nm is way too low.

My question is: do any of you know how much torque is applied if we follow the toyota spec?

If any of you have the chance to find it out without dropping your sump (in case you have a spare engine on your shelf  s:) :) s:)  
I would be really appreciated!

(As it would save me a bit of work)

Cheers!
Gustavo

Anonymous

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Gustavo7

Thanks For your input Les!

But what I want to know is how much torque that 90'degree turn will be equivalent to (20nm + 1/4 turn = total torque of..?)

Cheers!

Anonymous

I would think in actual torque measurements 90 degrees could vary but as you see on the specification, new bolts and nuts must be used, failure to do this will result in snapping them when tightening or worse still snapping when the engine is running......

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Gustavo7"Thanks For your input Les!

But what I want to know is how much torque that 90'degree turn will be equivalent to (20nm + 1/4 turn = total torque of..?)

Cheers!

I think I would prefer to follow the spec of the manufacturer who are the experts. Guestimating what the resulting torque is will just end up with problems IMHO. If you want it precise then get an angle plate to make sure you're turning it the extra 90 degrees.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: