Pre-Post FL engines - not so clear cut?

Started by ad_car_08, September 24, 2013, 11:52

ad_car_08

Hi all,

Was being good and used the search function to grab some more info about "post 03" engines. From reading this - http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33717&hilit=post+03+engine&start=60 - it appears it's not quite as clear cut as "get a post '03 car. The engines are better". Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like it depends on what pistons etc were used, rather than just the year of car registration.
I'm looking at a 52 reg MR2, wondering whether there's more chance of it having a sturdier engine than my old W reg. The seller claims it has full service history with stamps (apparently last service was within the last week or so). The jist I got from the thread was that pre and post 03 engines are about as bad as each other. It's the 05 reg '2s that have the new engine technology and are more robust.

I'm obsessing over looking for a post 03 car to buy, but I'm wondering whether I can allow for 02/52 reg cars in my search criteria? It doesn't seem quite as clear cut as I thought.
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

spit

You're right, its not as simple as pre vs post.

Pistons were redesigned twice and rings once. Piston changes were December 2001 and May 2005. Rings were upgraded from November 2001.

From what we saw in Nic's FL engine, the second piston redesign intended to make a big improvement to oil flow control.

(pics borrowed from  l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16852 l )

1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ad_car_08

So basically a well maintained 2002 should be just as good a well maintained 2003!
[/size]

spit

I really don't know.

The true answer could be 'pot luck' depending on what you get! Cylinder heads changed part numbers mid-'02 and the blocks were revised at the end of '02. So, a lot was going on around that time. I don't know the exact nature of the revisions.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ad_car_08

From the lack of replies, it appears no one else does either
[/size]

Anonymous

It all really comes down to how well its been maintained, all of its life. If been regular on service with always good quality oil then chances are its going to be ok. another way to look at it is the early version is much cheaper than the 05 so if the engine is a pup then you got cash spare from the saving to get matt to do the engine.

ad_car_08

are you on commission?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[/size]

MattPerformance

I think Richard's point is that I am seemingly the only person offering a menu price for a known quality rebuild using genuine Toyota parts.

The long and short of it is that the very latest engines (2006 onwards, possible 55 plate too but unknown for the moment) have the design changes to deal with the oil control ring failure issue.  ALL engines prior to that suffer with the problem but the mileage at which it happens very much depends on the service history.  Personally I recommend spending less money on oil brand and changing it more frequently (i.e. twice a year instead of once a year) - that does depend on the driver however and the way the car is used.

ad_car_08

Im planning to use it on track, so buyinguess it would be preferable to do ut twice a year.
That blows my "must buy a post 03" buying criteria wide open then!
[/size]

MattPerformance

For track days quality oil AND regular changes (every four or five track days) is essential.
I have rebuilt almost as many 03-05 engines as I have earlier ones, so that give you a pretty clear indication.

ad_car_08

I'll only be doing the occasional track day, maybe 3 a year if I'm lucky, so I'll probably plan to change the oil every 6 months.

Just been looking at the threads detailing the services you offer - makes me breath a little easier knowing that if I do run into trouble, I know where to take it and not get fleeced!
[/size]

Tags: