MOT Advisories

Started by ad_car_08, September 26, 2013, 12:59

ad_car_08

Hi,

Found an MR2 I'd really like to buy, have asked for the MOT ref number to check the history and found that the most recent MOT shows quite a lot of advisories.
Now, a few times I've been in the position where I've gone to pickup my car and there have been a few advisories, I've taken a sharp intake of breath and the receptionist has said "ahh, don't worry about 'X' or 'Y', the Tester has to note them but it's fine"...but I just wondered if someone with a little more experience could reassure me?

The advisories were as follows..

Steering column slightly corroded but serviceable (2.2.C.1d) - Seller has said "Steering column he said he has to note the slight corrosion however still serviceable" Had a rubbish UJ on my old one which I replaced, so that's not a problem
Nearside Rear Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3) - Seller has said "Misting on rear shock he says he has to put it but part is still serviceable". The same advisory note was on the 2012 MOT too
Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1) - Seller said "Tyres are still fine, legal is 1.6 and they are 3mm" which made me wonder, if that was the case then why would the MOT tester note it as an advisory?
Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1) - Same as above, and ad mentions "tyres have plenty of wear remaining"
Front Service brake efficiency only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.A.7) - This concerned me a little. Thought maybe a sticky caliper? I had a sticky rear caliper on my other MR2 years ago, which was a right PITA. Advert mentions "The brake discs and pads were done recently"

Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components
Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay
These are what baffled me most. The seller said "This inspection panel stuff is nonsense, apparently because it has panels underneath to protect things and they won't remove them to inspect things they have to note it??" which kinda rings true, but wondered if someone with more experience might confirm? Fair enough the under trays might not have been put back correctly, but the engine covers??
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

mr-ed_smt

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components
Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay
This is standard MOT tester arse-covering speak. It basically means they weren't able to check all underside/engine components because of the standard-fit covers. It get it on both my cars on most MOT's. Nothing to worry about.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

ad_car_08

Thought so, but wasn't sure if I wasn't just "wanting" it to be that!
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Tags: