Regain your lost BHP?

Started by AckersMR2, September 26, 2013, 18:33

AckersMR2

Wasn't sure whether to post this in Performance or Maintenance as technically it's getting back BHP you've lost rather than increasing it?

Anyhow, anyone see this weeks 5th Gear? They said there's a saying that on average a car loses 1bhp per year and to test this they took a 1995 Corardo VR6 which as new had, so VW claimed, 190bhp and the car now had 177.5bhp.
Firstly they added a bottle of Redex to the fuel to clear out the fuel lines and filters, ran it for a week and gained 6bhp!!!
Next oil, filter and air filter change, another 2bhp.
Finally plugs and leads and nearly a further 3bhp resulting in a total 11.2bhp increase.

To summarise they said if your on a budget for a fiver for a bottle of Redex will give you the greatest gain.

I'd say the other gains are very dependant on how well you look after your engine but the cleaning of the fuel system is probably something that is often overlooked?
My only car is a Ducati 

ray835

now if you came up with something to regain ones youth yo'ud be on to a winner   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

Jay67

Quote from: "ray835"now if you came up with something to regain ones youth yo'ud be on to a winner   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
could try drinking the Redex?
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

Jandaw

You regain your youth by simply buying a Roadster. You maintain your youth by keeping it.

I bought mine last year just before my 75 th and now I'm 10 years younger! And I'll keep on unwinding the years.

Redex. Huh!

tomaky

Thats the way Jandaw!
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

ray835

tom you shouldn't have one yet until 2040   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

tomaky

Haha i feel 65 if it makes it more believable  s;) ;) s;)
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

AndyM

Watched this last night as well Ackers and thought I might put a bottle of Redex through it and see how it goes. I'm just ordering another 5l of oil, filter and air filter cleaning kit for a bit of pre-winter TLC so it's as good a time as any.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Two's Company

I watched it before and wondered whether cleaning all the crap out of the fuel system and burning it in through the engine could do some damage?

swampy_donkey

I'll give some RedEx a go tomorrow! Are there different types? (I know there are petrol and diesel, but are there different petrol formulas?)
K&N panel filter - Markiii Pipe - TRD Style Bar - Chrome Filler Cap - Hard Top - Clear Side Indicators - Visor Plugs - Dev\'s Keyhole Covers - Silver Callipers - Pioneer DEH-4400BT + CD-SR110 - Red Leather Interior - Red footwell LEDs - Mud Flaps - Custom fit luggage - OBDII reader

swampy_donkey

K&N panel filter - Markiii Pipe - TRD Style Bar - Chrome Filler Cap - Hard Top - Clear Side Indicators - Visor Plugs - Dev\'s Keyhole Covers - Silver Callipers - Pioneer DEH-4400BT + CD-SR110 - Red Leather Interior - Red footwell LEDs - Mud Flaps - Custom fit luggage - OBDII reader

Jandaw

"Doesn't harm oxidizing catalysts" it says in the above link.

But, as the original Redex was sold by the shot as an upper cylinder lubricant I think I'll leave petrol additives to the distillers. I'm not sure the VW Corrado in the feature had a cat and I've removed my precats but if oil + cat = problems then why risk it.

Has that put the cat amongst the pigeons?  (no pun intended)

evileye_wrx

Would redex have the same effect as V Power?
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

tomaky

simmilar as far as im aware it makes your fuel a higher octane and has the same cleaning affects but just in a higher concentration, am i right?
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

andyhull

been about years Redex, its good stuff. The regular maintenance of your 2 should keep from a drop in BHP, its standard stuff surely ?
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

AndyM

Grabbed a bottle of the 'Petrol injector' version at lunch, will run it through with the next tank of fuel.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

mrzwei

Interesting.
As said, it has been around for years (like me   s:D :D s:D  ). Originally marketed as an 'upper cylinder lubricant' and the petrol pump attendant would try to sell you a couple of squirts from the gun at each fill up at 1p (old money) a squirt.

If you read the Halfords / RedEx blurb: 'Redex petrol treatment helps stop harmful deposits building up in the carburettor (what the hell is that?) and in the fuel system which can reduce a vehicles performance'.

So basically it's a system cleaner designed to reduce carbon and gum build up so it's a good thing but you will need to use a 250ml bottle every two refills, you can't stop using it if you want the best effect.

For me, something like Shell V Power will get the same, if not better result, plus if your ecu is tuned for the higher octane then you will get not just catch up but a real performance gain.

I'm going to give the Redex a go on my old camper van (with carb).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Markb

The green label Redex is for newer fuel injection cars......the original red label is for older carburettor cars,whether its any different i don't know.

Bernie

I have used in the past on my previous 2 BG44K
and it worked well

Got it from powerenhancer uk
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

shep1975

A friend of mine told me about that programme the other day. Put some redex in and may do an oil and filter change today. I don't have a new sump plug and washer though so might wait till I do. Anyone recommend some good high tension leads?

normanh

Shep - we dont have HT leads on the 2 we use individual coilpacks fired by 12 volt pulses by the emu.

Norman

shep1975

Quote from: "normanh"Shep - we dont have HT leads on the 2 we use individual coilpacks fired by 12 volt pulses by the emu.

Norman

Cool. Learned something new today. Thanks!

MR2-MIKE

Sorry to butt in chaps, any of you gents watch wheeler dealers?

This came up a few episodes ago

m http://www.terraclean.co.uk/terraclean%20history.html m

I believe it is around £90 but judging by the reviews/testimonials it seems to be worth it, thinking of getting it done quite soon so will post results  :-) :-) :-)
2004 Sable Grey MR2 w/ Red Leather Interior

To Be Continued...

normanh

Been discussed before on the forum here think most believed it to be snake oil!!!!! I certainly dont believe it.

Norman

trickyD

I used a bottle of STP complete fuel system cleaner and it temporarily resolved my lazy start but it's sneaking back in.
I presume it hasn't completely removed but just dislodged some crap?
It definitely makes a difference though!
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Tags: