Squeaking noise from front left wheel...

Started by 85db, October 2, 2013, 20:52

85db

When I turn left and also anything over very light braking there is a squeaking noise coming from the front left wheel. Generally going in a straight the noise isn't there but there has been a few times. Turning the steering wheel right can get rid of the noise. At first I thought brake pads but from what I can see of the outer one there is quite a bit left. Any ideas what this could be?

AndyM

Inner pads on mine wear quicker and I had a set fail a few months back with the outer pad looking ok still. Definitely worth getting the wheel off and having a good look.

Also check your wheel nuts. I had two loosen and then when turning into that side it moved the disc slightly and caused a squeak and vibration.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

spit

Pads can shimmy about a bit sometimes.

Worth taking the wheel and caliper off and re-seating the pads with a bit of copaslip on the lugs and shims. Worked for me when I had similar symptoms on standard discs. Had something similar on EBC disks too, but that was down to them warping   s:? :? s:?  .

Also. check the wear on the inner pad as its notorious for going a lot quicker than the one you can see. And check your wheel nut torques.

*edit: what Andy said!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

85db

Cheers guys, I'll take a closer look when it's a bit less miserable outside...

85db

Finally got round to sorting it out. There was plenty of life left on the inner pad, but it was all pretty grimy so I just gave the shims and the back of the pads a bit of a clean and applied a little brake mounting paste. Squeak now gone!   s8) 8) s8)

Tags: