Another newbie with doubts

Started by Wilderman, October 3, 2013, 10:36

andyhull

Quote from: "Wilderman"Well ive decided to follow advice & hold off doing any work myself until ive contacted the dealer. I tried ringing them today but I just got an answer machine telling me the owners on holiday until tuesday so I left a message. Also sent an email. The frustrating thing is thats its such a fun car to drive & its supposed to be a sunny weekend!
By the way thanks again for all advice, its much appreciated.

So why dont you take the advice given by mightyquin

Quoteby Mightyquin ยป Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:48 am
STOP!

Don't do any work to the car yourself, or you may end up complicating things further.

I would top up the oil to the full mark (make certain, let the oil settle etc) and go for a couple hundred mile drive. Check oil again. If it's lost oil again then drive straight back to the dealer.

Explain you had an oil change after buying the car, that it's losing/burning oil, and mention the sale of goods act if they get funny about it. You may have to take them to court under that act if they refuse to help you - worst case scenario.

Give yourself a bit of ammo and also let you fully record the oil loss in terms of miles = % loss
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

Wabbitkilla

The trouble is we've seen all this before, people rightly fall in love with a car and driving it and ignore the problem.
Next thing we know it's costing them lots of money trying to put it right and then they end up sickened and either get rid of the car or fall out of love with it.

Good luck with the dealer, remember the law is on your side and the car was not fit for purpose when sold regardless of whether the dealer claims they knew about the oil use or not.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrzwei"
Quote from: "rbuckingham"Also if your Toyota is like my local Toyota then you might as well take it to the local pre school and ask the kids to fix it.

Just thought I'd nominate my quote of the month   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

but its so TRUE don't you think.

redarrow

Sorry but ive had problams with the chain tensioner
And there no way that the oil your
Using is anythunk to do with this situation.

It toyota exsperts being lazy and not
Doing any millage cheeks aginst the oil
And it lost.

I got my car around 2 years ago and i had a leak
From the tensioner for 2 yeard that long and the oil
Was still ok ill admit i used 1/2 pint fill up over the
2 years but your problam sounds very bad.

Just return the car get full refund look for
A better deal from here on the forum, member
That sell there cars on here are usally very honest.

Regards john
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

Wilderman

Sorry, dont mean to keep bumping up this topic but I found quite a helpful site regarding consumer rights when buying a used car so I thought id post a link as it may be useful to other people in a similar situation.  m http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandar ... advice.htm m

Mightyquin

Any update?

Wilderman

Well I couldnt get hold of dealer until tuesday 8th oct as he was on holiday. He wont give a definite answer either way until his mechanic has had a look. Problem is this mechanic is on hols until 17th oct so its slow going. Its so tempting just to go for thrash!

Sonner34

Be firm with them, many dealers will try anything to worm themselves out of it.
2004 Silver MR2, For Sale, low mileage and pretty standard

Wabbitkilla

Not acceptable, reject it and threaten Trading Standards.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

redarrow

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Not acceptable, reject it and threaten Trading Standards.

+1
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

Wilderman

Maybe I should be more firm but he does come across as a reasonable bloke and he hasn't turned around and flat out refused any further dealings with me. He's even replied to emails! I guess im being overly optimistic but he said as a dealer he may have more clout with Toyota to get the engine sorted out at a reasonable cost (to him). I know its very unlikely but its worth a try as i like the car that much. As frustrating as it is for me I cant see him gaining anything by stalling for a week. If he starts to come up with excuses once his mechanics back then i'll put the pressure on and make it known im aware of my consumer rights. If that doesnt work then i'll get the wife and her colleagues involved..who just happen to be solicitors   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

mrzwei

Quote from: "Wilderman"Well I couldnt get hold of dealer until tuesday 8th oct as he was on holiday. He wont give a definite answer either way until his mechanic has had a look. Problem is this mechanic is on hols until 17th oct so its slow going. Its so tempting just to go for thrash!

Don't go for a thrash, tell the dealer you're scared to drive it because of the oil consumption issue which is making it not fit for purpose. You need a car now and seven days is too long to wait. Can he offer a loan car until the 17th?
Dealers are used to this sort of thing so you have to stay assertive (not aggressive) and get into broken record mode. Start keeping an accurate note of any conversations and be prepared to put things in writing if he keeps stalling.
Usually, most dealers have got the T shirt, know the form and they will try to sort any problems out.

As always, easy for a third party to advise, but the law is in your favour as long as you keep the pressure up.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Mightyquin

I know you say you like the car, but essentially the dealer is saying he doesn't believe you, and he wants 'his mechanic' to give him his opinion.

I really can't see him stumping up for a new engine or engine rebuild, he's stalling IMHO. As has been said, you have a legal right to reject the car and demand your money back.

If you do want to give the dealer the benefit of doubt I'd be inclined to take the car back to him on the basis it's not fit for purpose (and you don't want to cause any avoidable damage), ask for a loaner car as already suggested (of equivalent value!) and see what his mechanic has to say when he's back off his holiday.

That's not unreasonable, so if your dealer is being up front with you he shouldn't have a problem with it. If he does have a problem I'd take that as a warning sign and go straight for the refund.

trickyD

I managed to get a cam belt repair on top of a second recon engine both fitted from a small Indy garage just for asking (strongly). With the Cam belt they even came 150 miles with a trailer to fetch!

They aren't all bad!
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Wilderman

Quick update. Dealers mechanic finaly got round to looking at car today. As expected he's replaced cam chain tensioner oil seal and told me to continue to drive car and monitor oil level. Looks like ive got an excuse for a nice little road trip this weekend as I want to get at least 50 miles on it before monday.

Tags: