Quick advice please

Started by Wilderman, October 19, 2013, 11:46

Wilderman

Please see 'Another newbie with doubts' topic. Picked up car after having cam chain tensioner oil seal replaced and within a few miles I have an amber engine warning light on. Is this conclusive proof that the engines knackered? Id like to know quick as the dealer shuts at 4 and id like to get it back to him today. Thanks in advance

ChrisGB

Most common fault is failed  oxygen sensor(s). I  would  not  assume a duff engine  from an ECU light.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Andys-N20

+1
Its possible they unplugged something and did'nt put it back on.
Might be worth giving it a quick visual inspection.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

trevsmr2

You dont seem happy with the car ,and keep finding issues ,so take it back and look around for another

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200961101760? ... 1423.l2649 m

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-model-51 ... 0822207%26 m

Mightyquin

Most likely to be an O2 sensor but you need a code reader to be certain. There's a full list of fault codes on this forum.

Take it back and let them check it. Amber light doesn't mean 'don't drive' the car.

Wilderman

Its back with the dealer now & he's getting his mechanic to check on monday. He was actually quite apologetic. He said himself he'd rather have it checked before I drove it any further.  Thanks for advice chaps

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Wilderman"Its back with the dealer now & he's getting his mechanic to check on monday. He was actually quite apologetic. He said himself he'd rather have it checked before I drove it any further.  Thanks for advice chaps

Sounds like a fair result.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

andyhull

Quote from: "trevsmr2"You dont seem happy with the car ,and keep finding issues ,so take it back and look around for another

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200961101760? ... 1423.l2649 m

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-model-51 ... 0822207%26 m

+1
They seem to be a bunch of amatuers mate, when you took it back with the EMM light on, he should have put the reader on it and told you what it was. It takes 1 min not 1 hour !!
Get rid of it mate and get your cash back, plenty of good looked after cars available   s:) :) s:)
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

Bernie

As has been said before there is the danger of falling in love with the car and hanging in there, they need to either fully assess what's wrong and fix it, maybe give you a warranty or get your cash back and find a better one.

At least you know your rights so keep the pressure on them it's not 'fit for purpose'
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

roger

Quote from: "andyhull"They seem to be a bunch of amatuers mate, when you took it back with the EMM light on, he should have put the reader on it and told you what it was. It takes 1 min not 1 hour !!
)

It is the weekend!! What car sales operation has the workshop open on a Sunday?
One reason why its always good to get your own reader, you get to know what the fault is immediately the light comes on.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

andyhull

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "andyhull"They seem to be a bunch of amatuers mate, when you took it back with the EMM light on, he should have put the reader on it and told you what it was. It takes 1 min not 1 hour !!
)

It is the weekend!! What car sales operation has the workshop open on a Sunday?
One reason why its always good to get your own reader, you get to know what the fault is immediately the light comes on.

What kind of dealership allows sells cars with massive oil consumption ? and the reason the EML was not on probably when he took the car, is because it would have been reset after a battery disconection !! They would have seen it in status though, and should have checked all that after doing the tensioner seal
Sorry but this just does not sound right at all to me !
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

Mikeymead

Hi Wilderman,  did the mechanic check the car today as promised, what was the verdict?
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Wilderman

The eml light was due to lambda sensor but they said its been cleared & hasnt come back on yet. I didn't get chance to pick it up yesterday but im off to get it soon. Oo look the suns shining too, thats bound to mean everythings ok! :-/

ChrisGB

Chances are that the code will be back sooner or later. Not a big job to fix, but better if garage fixes it. I would accept the car subject to the dealer replacing the sensor of the light comes back on in the near future.

Chris

Mightyquin

If they haven't replaced the faulty sensor the EML will come back on after 10-20 miles driving.

mrzwei

I'm sure you won't, but don't take your eye off of the ball here. The real issue is the oil consumption, you need to keep reminding the dealer of that.
Also, make sure that the EML comes on when the ignition is switched on.

Really a sad state of affaires when we have to make statements like that, on the face of it the dealer is being reasonable but gets tarnished by the reputation of others.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

ChrisGB

Quote from: "mrzwei"I'm sure you won't, but don't take your eye off of the ball here. The real issue is the oil consumption, you need to keep reminding the dealer of that.
Also, make sure that the EML comes on when the ignition is switched on.

Really a sad state of affaires when we have to make statements like that, on the face of it the dealer is being reasonable but gets tarnished by the reputation of others.

I forgot about the oil consumption issue,  this being in a separate thread.  That would concern me more than the CEL.

Wilderman

I definatley havent forgot the oil consumption issue! Im trying to rack up the mileage as quick as possible, even the wife is using it to get to work and back this week (this isnt hard for her though lol). Im checking the oil daily now. As long as the EML light is caused by just the sensor alone im not too worried about it at this stage. Oh yes, and it has now come back on.

Anonymous

If it still using oil give it back and tell them to sort it because if you leave it to late on that one then you certainly will loose your foot up your arse when you kick yourself.

andyhull

I am thinking this is a wind up !!!!
so let me get this right !! the dealer told you what the EML came on for, and identified the o2 sensor. Then he gave you the car back after a reset ??? And you trust them enough to believe the oil consumption is fixed ???

I know you love the car, but surely you are not blinded as to whats going on here   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   basically they dont know their @@@'s from their elbows or are playing you for a fool
Not in a million zillion years would I leave that dealership without my cash back,,, get the money back, walk away from the car and look for one from this site maybe.
As posted before, your foot will be seriously lodged up your nether regions if the warranty runs out !!!!!! and belive me just by coinsidence they always blow up just outside of warranty   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

MattPerformance

Quote from: "andyhull"What kind of dealership allows sells cars with massive oil consumption ?

To be fair to car retailers/ dealers, how can they know if the engine is consuming a lot of oil?  They can test drive the car (no smoke evident), rev the nuts off the engine (no smoke evident) and very often they'll get it serviced prior to sale (normally without checking the oil level first - why would they check it??!) so the oil level is right when they sell the car.

It is the unscrupulous people who sell their own cars on (or trade them in) that are at fault here because, let's face it, the reason they got rid of the car is because they knew it was using a load of oil and was about to fail.  I know I work in the trade and I have (kind of) my own agenda on this matter, but I think it's very unfair on the car dealers who sell a car in good faith, having bought it in good faith to then be stomached with a big bill to repair an engine that was faulty.  That said, they make a profit and that is why the law makes them responsible for the odd occasion that this kind of thing happens (certainly I agree that the consumer should not bear the cost but I just feel a bit sorry for the "dealer").

I have said before that I get many enquiries for engine rebuilds that come to nothing... then discover that the enquirer no longer has the car!! Should I name and shame?!!!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

andyhull

Quote from: "MattPerformance"
Quote from: "andyhull"What kind of dealership allows sells cars with massive oil consumption ?

To be fair to car retailers/ dealers, how can they know if the engine is consuming a lot of oil?  They can test drive the car (no smoke evident), rev the nuts off the engine (no smoke evident) and very often they'll get it serviced prior to sale (normally without checking the oil level first - why would they check it??!) so the oil level is right when they sell the car.

It is the unscrupulous people who sell their own cars on (or trade them in) that are at fault here because, let's face it, the reason they got rid of the car is because they knew it was using a load of oil and was about to fail.  I know I work in the trade and I have (kind of) my own agenda on this matter, but I think it's very unfair on the car dealers who sell a car in good faith, having bought it in good faith to then be stomached with a big bill to repair an engine that was faulty.  That said, they make a profit and that is why the law makes them responsible for the odd occasion that this kind of thing happens (certainly I agree that the consumer should not bear the cost but I just feel a bit sorry for the "dealer").

I have said before that I get many enquiries for engine rebuilds that come to nothing... then discover that the enquirer no longer has the car!! Should I name and shame?!!!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Can see both sides of the coin here, but the fact they have also simply reset the ECU knowing the sensor is faulty ??? That smacks of either clueless or stalling for time. You are correct that they make money on the car, and thats why they give a warranty to encourage people buying them over and above book prices, but when they are obviously stalling for time ???
Also dont forget they said it was the tensioner seal causing the loss of oil !!!!!!!  not in a million years sorry

Wilderman

As I said in my original post the dealer only had the car for a day before i bought it (admitedly I cant be 100% sure of this) so theres no way he could of known about oil consumption issue. When he told me what caused the EML I actualy said I wasnt too worried about it and that I just wanted the car back for now so I could drive it to check the oil issue. It would seem a bit pointless to get the sensor done if I have to try and return the car to him after a week because of the oil. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and he has been pretty co operative so far so I cant be too critical. Anyway, once ive got another 100 miles or so on the car ill see where the oil level is and let you all know how it goes. Thanks all again for advice and interest   s:) :) s:)

Wilderman

Ok, as we all expected my engine is knackerini. After the cam chain tensioner oil seal was replaced and a 132 miles of driving the oil has dropped from maximum to about a fifth full. So its on with the unpleasent business of trying to return the car and get a full refund. Shame I cant get a refund from Toyota for the money i spent on having it serviced   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

MattPerformance

What is the age and mileage of the car?

Tags: