Possible gearbox issue

Started by wallzaveerz, October 20, 2013, 19:56

wallzaveerz

Hi Guys

Thought things had been going a little too well, had a trouble free couple of months but in true roadster style I now have a new problem.

Theres always been a bit of a rattle from the gearbox/ bellhousing on tick over out of gear but nothing worse than other cars Ive owned over the years and it went away when you pressed the clutch or drove the car.

This has now developed into something more sinister, there is now a constant severe "jangling" from that area that only goes away when the clutch is pressed, it persists when the car is driven and sounds like a metal biscuit tin full of nuts and bolts being shaken.

My initial thought was the release bearing but if it was that i would expect the noise only when the clutch was pressed, not the other way round as this is.  This leaves two possible culprits, the clutch itself or the input shaft in the gearbox, the car drives absolutely perfectly, just sounds horrendous.

Do the gearboxes have any inherent faults or can I be fairly sure a new clutch is going to cure this?

Andys-N20

Sounds like the gearbox to me. If its that bad you should be able to identify the problem easily with the gearbox removed. Slight problem being you would'nt be able to drive her.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

wallzaveerz

If it was the gearbox though wouldnt you think you would feel something?   Im still quietly confident that its the clutch but I have sourced a gearbox just in case the worst happens.  Could do without the expense though.

Jandaw

Aren't release bearings noisier when not under load?
I would assume that before spending a lot on a gearbox.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jandaw"Aren't release bearings noisier when not under load?
I would assume that before spending a lot on a gearbox.

I would agree sounds like clutch to me too. Have it inspected by a garage, thankfully clutch's aren't that expensive on the roadster.  s;) ;) s;)

wallzaveerz

Ive heard clutches do all manner of peculiar things over the years when theyve been on the way out so I'll keep everything crossed until Wednesday when the box comes out.

SteveJ

Check the pre-load spring inside the clutch release cylinder. If it's broken or gone soft, the release bearing can chatter against the clutch housing 'fingers' which would make the noise you've described.

wallzaveerz

Ah right.  Priceless info, yes it is a "chatter".   I'll get that checked.   Thank you.

revi001

It sounds to me like the clutch, I think SteveJ has diagnosed your problems.
Standard as is.

wallzaveerz

Sounds like it.   So will just a new clutch and release bearing cure it then?

wallzaveerz

Well as usual if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Half a grand lighter in my wallet and it's fixed. Needed a new gearbox. Gutted about the cost but at least I've got my car back, and in fairness it's a lot lot better. Guess you don't realise how bad something has got until you fix it.

Tags: