Eml problem

Started by Paulm280885, October 23, 2013, 19:49

andyhull

yup its the post cat sensor,, either replace with genuine denso or do the resistor fix
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

Andys-N20

P0136 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2) or as said above the post act one.
If in doubt one way to prove the heater circuit with a multi-meter/ohm-meter is to unplug the sensor. Take a look at the wires and there will be two the same colour (colour varies by brand) put the meter across these two wires and check the resistance. You are looking for about 12 ohms... If its burned out you will get an infinite reading.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

Paulm280885

Had a new exhaust and sports cat fitted recently could this be the cause

Wabbitkilla

P0136 cannot be fixed with a resistor, it requires a replacement sensor. P0141 is the heater circuit failure which can be fixed with a resistor and checked as per the above post. As the sensors get older they get fragile, just removing them from one exhaust and fitting to another can result in failure.

Go to sparkplugs.co.uk and buy a new Denso sensor to replace it.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

andyhull

denso denso denso,,,,,, denso cost mucho dinero mate,   now I am not totally convinced that all us 2 owners should always use denso replacement parts, especially for something such as a post cat sensor
i have used a NON denso Maf, and its working perfect,,,, surely someone has tried non denso post cat o2 sensors ?
well if mine goes i for one will be trying one
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

Andys-N20

Quote from: "Paulm280885"Had a new exhaust and sports cat fitted recently could this be the cause

Yes its likely that it was on its way out anyway.

to andyhull. I use NGK / NTK for my plugs and O2's, they are OEM quality.
One on amazon for £51.60
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.

Wabbitkilla

Denso costs about the same as NGK, horses for courses buy what you like but I've always found the Denso ones .... reliable.
Just don't bother with second hand ones, they're likely to go faulty quicker in my experience.
You were lucky with your MAF, I've seen plenty of cheap ebay ones be useless.
AS for Denso costing mucho dinero, I remember the days when they were over £120, nowadays they're under £60 so quality is worth it.
You want a cheap car go get a Yaris.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Paulm280885

Hi just order my ppe intake from monkey wrench so order a denso 02 sensor from them $39 is it an easy job to replace these

Andys-N20

You really need a O2 socket to get it off.
22mm. with a cut out for the wire. This is one I have:
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Exp-22 ... 5d2c4d298a m

Quote from: "Paulm280885"Hi just order my ppe intake from monkey wrench so order a denso 02 sensor from them $39 is it an easy job to replace these
Bargain, but maybe you have import tax to pay?

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"AS for Denso costing mucho dinero..... You want a cheap car go get a Yaris.
s:D :D s:D

There are some cheaper O2 sensors on flebay... not much cheaper either, and they are so bad quality the only guarantee that comes with them is that they are guaranteed to break within a year lol. Thats why they only have 3 - 6 months guarantee on them.

andyhull

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Denso costs about the same as NGK, horses for courses buy what you like but I've always found the Denso ones .... reliable.
Just don't bother with second hand ones, they're likely to go faulty quicker in my experience.
You were lucky with your MAF, I've seen plenty of cheap ebay ones be useless.
AS for Denso costing mucho dinero, I remember the days when they were over £120, nowadays they're under £60 so quality is worth it.
You want a cheap car go get a Yaris.

strange you said that lol cos it appears that plenty of parts from the mk1 yaris are the same as the roadster !!!!!!
look no one is saying that denso is poor or not worth the cash, but what im saying is there are other makers of sensors, and if they give a guarentee and cheaper then its worth a punt on areas that are not critical, such as postcat o2.
Speaking of yaris , I wonder how many garages or repair outfits, knew about the front wishbone and ball joint being the same as the 2 ??  well £500 for both sides on the 2 ( standard parts ) compared to £140 on the yaris ??
Makes sense to try things out dont you think

mrzwei

I may well be wrong, but I think you will find that Denso are the OEM supplier to Toyota.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Paulm280885

I hope I don't have import tax just spend like £400 with them

Andys-N20

Quote from: "mrzwei"I may well be wrong, but I think you will find that Denso are the OEM supplier to Toyota.

I think so. Just rebranded them specifically for Toyota. Either way denso and ntk are both respected brands.
I am 95% sure you have to pay import tax on goods. I had to when I shipped a Walker O2 sensor in from the state's. Gifts are tax exempt but monkeywrench would not send as a gift as it would be tax evasion.
I know the 2zz exhaust from monkeywrench comes with a hefty import tax bill.
A little Google'ing would confirm if you have to pay and how much.

nathanMR2

You might get lucky on the import but unlikely especially with car parts. Oh and don't be fooled to see your parts arrive and nothing to pay. You'll often get a nice little invoice a few days later  s;) ;) s;)
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Paulm280885

Can't stand the government money money money  had to order from them as I couldn't find the ppe cai anyway in uk and had my heart set on the ppe

nathanMR2

Ive had a PPE (i assume yours comes with the Apexi filter too?) and i was really impressed with it. Unfortunately you often have to pay to get the best. Lets hope they are kind on you
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Paulm280885

Yeah mate comes with the apexi power filter it's this one fingers and toes crossed hey
 m http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... hcttpf36n6 m

Paulm280885

Eml hasn't come back on since I cleaned the maf and passed my mot yesterday but my reader is still showing pending code po136

andyhull

give it a run and eventually it will either clear pending or show again as an EML light. lets hope the cleaned Maf does the trick

Paulm280885

Ahhh man eml came back on today guess I'm gonna have to change the sensor good job I already ordered one just to confirm p0136 is the sensor after the cat ?

StuC

LINKY

Yup, Bank 1 Sensor 2.  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Paulm280885

Thanks stu

StuC

No worries  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: