toyo t1r tyres all year round use or something else

Started by zxr400, October 31, 2013, 15:14

zxr400

i need some new tyres for front of mr2 to use all year round and in the snow would you recommend toyo t1r tyres
for this or some other tyre i have dunlops on the rear which are like new. the wheels are the standard fit wheels thanks

SteveJ

Prepare to be flamed - mixing tyres on the '2 is stupid at the best of times. In the winter it is close to suicide.

AndyM

I'll be using my T1Rs rain, snow or shine. However, I'd be wary running them alongside something else (beyond the usual warnings) as they are a VERY soft compared to all other tyres I've previously owned. I think they would exacerbate any mis-matching issues.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

s12vea

I've had them on my previous and current 2 and I have no issue what so ever and mine is turbo'd ! I've drive snow / wet / dry and they have performed well. Don't risk mismatch tyres and more importantly have a 4 wheel geo as this often is over looked you will be surprised what a difference this can make.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

AndrewMason

I have mis-matched tyres   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  
All fitted by me   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  
Before I'd checked could get all 4 corners in same tyre make   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  

On PFL with standard rims in standards sizes have Uniroyal Rainsport 2 on the back and Toyo T1Rs on the front. Effectively the same tread pattern but different compounds.

For what it is worth, the front seems to grip better in the dry and the rear better in the wet. So, in the dry I bottle out before the tyres give out, and in the wet I get understeer (which is better than oversteer, even if not nice).

I fitted the T1Rs on the front in preference to the RS2s as the RS2s best size match is 195/50/15 vs OEM 185/55/15. In hindsight I wish I'd got the RS2s even though slightly wrong size - which guess means I think would be best with same tyres all round   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

If you are happy with the Dunlops and can get near enough the right size then I'd try those.
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

mrzwei

You don't say what size the Dunlops are on the rear but they should be at least 205/50/15 for a pre-facelift and 215/45/16 for a post facelift.
Just match the Dunlops on the front with at least 185/55/15.

As said, it's the differing flexibility of the sidewalls which may result in handling issues if you mix the manufacturer. Not the end of the world but an on going issue with all mid- engined cars.

EDIT: Basically as said above really   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

redcarblackhorse

I was running mixed tyres for 1+ year and she was very twitchy - some times scary. Now got Toyos all round and what a difference - like a new car - and much better in the wet too - wished I had followed advise sooner and done it!   s:D :D s:D
1999 MR-S with a few tweaks!
Circuit de catalunya
24 Heures du Mans
Thruxton
Abingdon Track day

normanh

My 2 had differing tyres front and backs when I bought it, Dunlops on the front - I hated them and soon changed to Toyo's all round. Been running these now for 7 years and love the feel. Just one thing I try not to use the 2 in snow its just to lively and a risk whatever tyres you have on, in the past I have walked rather than drive.

Norman

trickyD

Quote from: "mrzwei"You don't say what size the Dunlops are on the rear but they should be at least 205/50/15 for a pre-facelift and 215/55/16 for a post facelift.
Just match the Dunlops on the front with at least 185/55/15.

As said, it's the differing flexibility of the sidewalls which may result in handling issues if you mix the manufacturer. Not the end of the world but an on going issue with all mid- engined cars.

EDIT: Basically as said above really   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Please can you edit your post to show the correct facelift tyre size, in case someone googles this post:
FL rears are 215 45 16!
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

trickyD

I would strongly recommend Winter wheels and tyres for the Colder months (Nov-Feb)
I'm not going to argue about the relative merits of cold weather tyres, since the proof for them is widely published.
I always use them and have been happy with the switch.

Since the OP mentioned year round tyre use, I would advise against T1Rs in the cold (<7 deg) or snow.

Bits for sale!

Wabbitkilla

I've used Toyo's all year around, no problem ... I just adjust my driving style according to the conditions.
It's obviously ideal to have a spare set of wheels with winter tyres on, but I simply don't have the space or inclination to do that.
My advantage is that I have a company car for the daily commute, but then I find that is even worse in the snow than the 2 on Toyo T1-R's so it doesn't really help.
The discussion has been done to death in the past, I'm really not going to argue about it, just suggest you do what you're most comfortable with.
If I find there's a road with enough snow on to stop me getting along it, then really I wouldn't be bothered going along it even with winter tyres on.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

theredone

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla".............. If I find there's a road with enough snow on to stop me getting along it, then really I wouldn't be bothered going along it even with winter tyres on.

where`s your sense of adventure man ?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "theredone"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla".............. If I find there's a road with enough snow on to stop me getting along it, then really I wouldn't be bothered going along it even with winter tyres on.

where`s your sense of adventure man ?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

A bit of snow doesn't scare me much

Toyo T1R in the snow

Goodyear GSD3 in the snow

Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

theredone

very nice.
not this winter tho`

Chris H72

I have just fitted t1r's all round and although we haven't had snow it was pretty cold when I drove it the other morning. Everything felt good. Mind you, I think I would be inclined to leave it parked on the drive if it does snow.

seani89

They are really soft compound. In the heat you can really feel how soft they are, especially the side walls!! I wore a front pair out in 6000 miles on my 1.5 Yaris!
2002 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster / Yellow / Anthracite Wheels / Custom Yellow & Black Interior / Cobra Quad Exhaust / Stainless Steel Induction Kit / Pre Cats Removed / 6 Speed Box with Up Rated Clutch / LED Sidelights / Lego Dustcaps

Winner of the 2014 Ding Day \'Best Modified Interior\'

THE BUMBLEBEE

dori dori

for the cost when I looked few weeks back RS3s had me won over I think 36/37 for the front in 195 50 15 and 54 ish for 205 50 15 on the rear all from camskill
"You spin me right round baby"

trickyD

RS3?
Audi? :/

Bits for sale!

Tags: