Intermittent steering problem

Started by Zippee2020, November 2, 2013, 10:14

Zippee2020

Guys need your advice, the steering on my 2 is sometimes heavy whilst driving then returns to normal from one moment to the next!

Is this just a question if low fluid which needs topping up, if so where do I get liquid from and how easy is access to inspect and top up reservoir?

Or does this mean a new pump is needed:o

No noticeable noises when driving from steering

Your advice would be really appreciated
2001 Silver MR2 Hardtop 48k 2nd owner from new with Toyosports decat manifold

wotugonado

Have a search for lower steering knuckle, see if that seems similar to your problem. If it does matt performance in the affiliates section sells refurbed ones.
Heres a link
 l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=32611 l
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Andys-N20

I think what some people do to prove the UJ is to spray it with WD-40 just to proove a point. Then replace it as WD-40 is only a temp fix.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

MattPerformance

You're obviously not far from me so if you want to pop in I can take a quick look

Zippee2020

Great thanks Matt, gonna see what happens with the wd40 temporary fix and will report back!

Zippee2020

Update on steering problem, sprayed steering knuckle with liberal amount of wd40 and it didn't make any difference !

The joint itself is very very clean, almost like new which isn't surprising given the low mileage of my car

Any other potential reasons for this problem or solutions which may work would be welcomed!

mrzwei

This thread is worth a read and there are loads more.

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36434&p=517304&hilit=steering+hammer+fix#p517304 l

The 'hammer fix' looks interesting but obviously it's 'buyer beware'.

Assuming there are no tyre, pressure or alignment issues, and you are happy with the UJ, then it is either hydraulic (stuffed pump) or electrical. There is a post on here which mentions fault codes for the pump but I can't find it.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: