Battery issues

Started by adscan, November 8, 2013, 16:51

adscan

I don't use my car that often and it sits on the drive for days at a time. I went to fill up and it started okay but once i filled up and tried to start the car it was dead. All the warning lights came on bit it would not turn over and it just made a clicking sound. Now i don't know the history of the battery but never had any problems so far.
I removed the battery and charged it and now everything seems fine. Having read posts on here about batteries i am concerned that it is dead and will not start again. I have put a meter across it and it is showing 13v off and 14.1v when running.
Does the battery sound good still? Also is 14.1v when running mean any charging issues?

mrzwei

A healthy battery should show between 12.4 to 12.6 Volts. (Don't test it immediately after charging).

With the engine running at around 2000 revs, with all accessories switched off, a healthy alternator should show 13.8 - 14.4 Volts at the battery terminals. (source: Car Mechanics mag. April 12).

The problem is that a duff battery can lose its charge very quickly and it will also charge up very quickly so you can get a false sense of security.
I'd check the voltage first thing in the morning.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

adscan

Will check it in the morning and see what it reads.

Also, i only do short trips when i do use it so i assume the battery never really gets a chance to charge poperly.

purplepowermonster

If your battery if duff I saw a deal here:   l viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40487&p=547465&hilit=battery#p547465 l
Do you have an alarm that may be draining the battery?
2006 red Facelift, love it!

adscan

No alarm..
I have seen this offer and will take advantage of it once i have confirmed the battery is fudged.

purplepowermonster

Sounds like the battery is goosed.  Not sure how to do it on the MR2 but if you can disable the car from starting (remove plug leads?) and crank the engine on the starter you will probably find it dies really quickly.  This way tests the battery under full load.  Reconnect everything and recharge the battery and order a new one if needed.
I always think a good battery will get you out of trouble if anything else goes wayward so wouldn't be a waste of money I'm sure.

adscan

Just checked it from cold and it's reading 12.2v and 14.3v
Sound okay?

locobuilder brian

Quote from: "purplepowermonster"Sounds like the battery is goosed.  Not sure how to do it on the MR2 but if you can disable the car from starting (remove plug leads?) and crank the engine on the starter you will probably find it dies really quickly.  This way tests the battery under full load.  Reconnect everything and recharge the battery and order a new one if needed.
I always think a good battery will get you out of trouble if anything else goes wayward so wouldn't be a waste of money I'm sure.

Note. Its not a good idea to crank the engine over without trying to start, it could fill the cat with unburnt fuel & kill it !

Mikeymead

Quote from: "adscan"Just checked it from cold and it's reading 12.2v and 14.3v
Sound okay?

The static reading seems low to me but the running reading seems ok. Therefore battery looks like it's on its way out but the alternator seems fine, had a similar problem on my wife's Suzuki Swift a couple of years ago.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

normanh

If the battery is duff the first cold morning start will show it as it wont have the cold crank current needed to turn the engine over irrespective of what the voltage is, worth checking the earths at this point as well. No solution other than a new battery unless the cgharging system is at fault!

Norman

adscan

Thanks for all the comments..will get a new battery from CTP.

normanh

Try Mr T they are about £65 and a stock item as the same as the Yaris from memory.

Norman

purplepowermonster

Quote from: "locobuilder brian"
Quote from: "purplepowermonster"Sounds like the battery is goosed.  Not sure how to do it on the MR2 but if you can disable the car from starting (remove plug leads?) and crank the engine on the starter you will probably find it dies really quickly.  This way tests the battery under full load.  Reconnect everything and recharge the battery and order a new one if needed.

Note. Its not a good idea to crank the engine over without trying to start, it could fill the cat with unburnt fuel & kill it !
Blimey,  thanks for putting me right on that, would hate to damage someone's car.

Wabbitkilla

You don't say how old the battery is.

It does sound goosed though, the weather getting colder usually highlights the batteries that are getting too old.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

adscan

Not sure the age of the battery if was fitted when I got the car 15 months ago.

Tried Mr T, they wanted £60 plus VAT. CTP is doing the for £59 posted.

mrzwei

Quote from: "adscan"Just checked it from cold and it's reading 12.2v and 14.3v
Sound okay?

12.2 is a bit lower than recommended but it will turn the engine (given enough of Normans amps) and start the car and, as said, the alternator is fine and will recharge the battery.

Normans particular point about the earth is significant, a) because the terminals can be difficult to tighten properly and b) because that would explain why the 'charged' battery suddenly would not work at the garage.

PERSONNALY, I'd monitor it for a few more days. Then, If you are in a position to trickle charge it  that would be ideal, whether it's an old or a new battery because there are loads of historical posts on how quickly the battery loses charge if it's not regularly used. As has been said, this is usually down to the drain caused by the alarm.

If that cold reading was 10 /11 then definitely a new one.

At the end of the day the CTP price is good and you get peace of mind.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

OldMan

Here in the USA, many auto parts stores will remove the battery, take it into the store, and bench test it under load.  They ususlly perform the servise for free.  Don't auto parts stores in the UK do this??
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

Andys-N20

Quote from: "OldMan"Don't auto parts stores in the UK do this??

Yes they do, some will be free and others charge a small fee. Halfords do it.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

normanh

Some places do in the Uk but almost it will be using the heavy duty ballast resistor type putting the battery under an almost short circuit condition. Its common for that tool to finish the battery off and gassing is seen in one or more of the cells. Its old fashioned it works and it will finish the battery off if slightly dodgey.

Norman

OldMan

Quote from: "normanh"Its old fashioned it works and it will finish the battery off if slightly dodgey.
Euthanizing ailing batteries is good.
Isn't it??   s:? :? s:?
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

purplepowermonster

Digging up an old thread here but my problem follows on, leave the car for a week and the battery hasn't enough oomph to turn it over, jump it from a spare battery and away it goes, diagnosis, duff battery.

My dilemma is do I go for a genuine one from CTP at £59 (if Chris still has them) or a Varta from battery megastore at £43.50?  Varta should be a good battery but often the cheapest solution isn't always the best.

m http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/product/B32/ m

Any help appreciated  :-) :-) :-)

Peter Wright

Quote from: "purplepowermonster"My dilemma is do I go for a genuine one from CTP at £59 (if Chris still has them) or a Varta from battery megastore at £43.50?  Varta should be a good battery but often the cheapest solution isn't always the best.
Im on my third battery now and have found the cheapest place is a Toyota dealer
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

mrzwei

With a 4 year warranty you can't really go wrong.
The key comparison stats are the AH and the cold cranking.
If you get it fitted, get them to check that the alternator is OK.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

purplepowermonster

Eventually made my mind up and ordered at Battery Megastore.  Was £43.50 but found a voucher code (3CD3F3EC5A) so got another 5% off.

Total cost £41.33 delivered, should arrive tomorrow.

purplepowermonster

Quote from: "purplepowermonster"Eventually made my mind up and ordered at Battery Megastore.  Was £43.50 but found a voucher code (3CD3F3EC5A) so got another 5% off.

Total cost £41.33 delivered, should arrive tomorrow.

Battery arrived by 09:30 today and was really well packed.  Now all I need is some time to fit it....

Tags: