Urgent help needed please manifold problem

Started by ty222, November 18, 2013, 17:15

ty222

Hi if anyone c an help me i will appreciate it greatly.

Basically my car exhaust has sounded like its been blowing for a couple of weeks, took it to kwik fit today and they said to fix the problem it would be a mere £950 -.- So i took it home took my bumper off and did some investigating. the back box seems to be fine,the problem actually sounds like it is in what i think is the manifold, it has a heat cover over it which i cannot remove as the bolts are rusted and stuck. can i snap these off or maybe hack saw them or do they go into something alot more important?

Has anyone ever had this problem with a blowing from that area? really need help asap . Thanks!!!

Wabbitkilla

The flexi pipes which are in the catalyst section can fail in time, any exhaust fabricator should be able to weld a couple of replacements in for you, for a lot less than £950.
I think KF are quoting you for a full catalyst which isn't always necessary, but then they only swap parts out, they don't tend to engage in fabrication and fixing.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

StuC

Just to confirm, is it a stock system? The manifold has the close coupled pre-cat bulges in it? Like above.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

ty222

Hi thanks for the fast replies, once i have the heatshield off ill be able to hopefully locate where the problem lies alot easier. my current exhaust sysstem is completely standard nothing removed. do the bolts holding the heatshield on also hold the manifold to the engine block ?

AndyM

No they don't, they only hold on the upper heat shield. The lower one has two bolts as well.

The manifold itself is held to the block with 5 studs.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

ty222

thanks for the reply,still havnt got it off think i will have to saw it tomorrow  s:( :( s:(  anyone know how to exactly diagnose where the problem is once its off?

mrzwei

Quote from: "ty222"thanks for the reply,still havnt got it off think i will have to saw it tomorrow  s:( :( s:(  anyone know how to exactly diagnose where the problem is once its off?

Try soaking in PlusGas, and make sure the engine is hot (mind the hands) and use a socket that fits well. They will very often just shear off anyway.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

StuC

A set or Irwins would work for you here too.  :-) :-) :-)

I bought some last month and they worked a treat.  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

ty222

Quote from: "StuC"A set or Irwins would work for you here too.  :-) :-) :-)

I bought some last month and they worked a treat.  :-) :-) :-)

what is an irwin?

i think i have now found the problem it is right underneath where it joins as two pipes leading off to the exhaust box.

AndyM

nathanMR2

I had to use Irwins to get my 3 bolts out.

Irwins are a well worth investment
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

ty222

haha wish i had heard of these before drilling through my heatshield

ty222

could anyone please tell me where would be best to get this part from?  

it is also held on by these strange star shaped type bolt with what appears to have a nuit on the end,attached is a pic to explain fuirther, does anyone know what tool i would need to get these off? i have had a socket set around them but dont want to risk rounding them off if there something i need to do first.

Wabbitkilla

Any Toyota dealership can supply the gaskets, they're not expensive.

What you are looking at are the end of the studs, you need a deep impact socket to fit over the nuts and drive them off, we generally call these the three amigoes, they can be quite annoying to get off. Give them a good soaking of plusgas before trying to move them.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Joesson

The part is a flexible section of the main catalyser.
I don't believe that these separate from the main body and so you need a complete  replacement main catalyser which would be available on here from a dismantled 2.
The star shaped item needs a - female star socket- Halfords sell them in various sizes.
They are also on the ends of the manifold studs, but at that size I found it better to use 2 nuts locked together to remove the studs as the small socket required would not move the old stud.
The larger star sockets work a lot better but use ample plus gas first.

ty222

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Any Toyota dealership can supply the gaskets, they're not expensive.

What you are looking at are the end of the studs, you need a deep impact socket to fit over the nuts and drive them off, we generally call these the three amigoes, they can be quite annoying to get off. Give them a good soaking of plusgas before trying to move them.

thanks for the help, i have some wd40 i have just soaked them in. as for the part its not the gasket thats blowing its like two weaved pieces under the gasket its on the same pipe as the cat,no idea if they can be repaired or if ill need a whol;e new cat pipe :/

Joesson

P.s.
You probably won't need the female star socket, this is used to insert the stud. At the other end of the stud is a nut and that is what you want a deep socket for.
When I did mine two nuts came of the studs and one stud came out of the flange, the nut was then easily removed on the work bench. I used the female star socket to replace the stud but you can use two nuts locked together as I mentioned for the manifold studs.

ty222

Quote from: "Joesson"P.s.
You probably won't need the female star socket, this is used to insert the stud. At the other end of the stud is a nut and that is what you want a deep socket for.
When I did mine two nuts came of the studs and one stud came out of the flange, the nut was then easily removed on the work bench. I used the female star socket to replace the stud but you can use two nuts locked together as I mentioned for the manifold studs.

Great answer thanks very much,i guess ill get looking for a whole new cat  s:) :) s:)

pauls0212

looks like you need a replacement cat from one of the breakers, ignore the star thing and try to undo the nuts above, on the stud, the three amigos. you will need some new crush washers as well for putting the new cat back on. Good luck
red 2003 standard so far

AndyM

Worth considering Wabbit's original reply...

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"The flexi pipes which are in the catalyst section can fail in time, any exhaust fabricator should be able to weld a couple of replacements in for you.

ty222

Quote from: "AndyM"Worth considering Wabbit's original reply...

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"The flexi pipes which are in the catalyst section can fail in time, any exhaust fabricator should be able to weld a couple of replacements in for you.

aahhh sorry completely didnt click that these were the flexipipes, i do know a welder so ill drop him a text and see what he can do

Micha

If you have a problem with the screw loosening try to apply the brake fluid overnight ... it will go easily
2001 RHD Silver - Greddy T517Z Turbo - TopSecret Manifold - PTR muffler - PWR CC - Blitz 525cc -  Moroso + Oil Cooler - TRD ShortShifter - Shifter Cable Bushing - JDL Body + TopSecret Fr. Bumper- TRD Strut & Underbrace F/R - Central X bar - ZenkyRacing Coilovers - Rear Arms - Front Anti-roll bar

Anonymous

did you guys use the Irwin on the 3 amigos, or the manifold to block nuts?

The nuts are 12mm I think, so 1/2" would be the one to use...

Joesson

The 3 amigos let go for me with a long breaker bar and 6 sided socket ( not a multipoint, that will round the corners off the nuts),.
I started with a multipoint socket on the manifold to block nuts and succeeded in rounding the nuts off very nicely!
I had the wrong size Irwin's so ended up griding the nuts off and consequently needed 3 new manifold studs.
A six sided socket is the best starting point on a nut in good condition.

Anonymous

Thanks...I started on the manifold to block nuts and quite quickly realised it wasn't happening. When dismantling, do you do the 3 amigos first? did you try heating it all up?

Tags: