Low pressure turbo kit!!!

Started by 450-hp turbo man, December 13, 2013, 12:48

450-hp turbo man

Hi all, have been developing a low pressure kit with good bottom end torque like a tdi and top end power similar to a 2zz !! And when driven briskly but not flat out will give better mpg than standard !! Just want to gauge how much interest there would be in such a kit   s:P :P s:P  ???

loadswine

Interesting, I am assuming that this would have similar power characeristics to the TTE turbo?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

450-hp turbo man

I've never driven a TTE but listening to what every body says then yes! What I'm trying to do though is make it a very simple and cheap bolt on! It will only be running at 5 psi so very little else will need upgrading!!

450-hp turbo man

Should refraze the cheap bit Lol, would still be Garrett turbo and all stainless manifold with standard type exhaust and fuel system!!

Anonymous

Personally I would probably aim at 10 psi kit and then that way people could select a higher power if they like. The stock clutch can struggle even with a tte turbo kit, especially when warn. Plugs would be an easy change for most people, and if they are able to bolt the turbo kit on including putting in an oil return then injectors will be easy. Low outputs of 5psi a nice idea, but if people are going to go that far in they might as well just go for a 10psi. Also how would you go about the map?

450-hp turbo man

Hi Richard, I know wot you mean and I totally agree, but the reason I said 5psi is that it would be a good starting point with a fairly low out lay for people to start with! then when they want to go next step it would just be injectors,clutch and a a remap! just thought it mite be a good way for people to get on the turbo ladder!! so to speak, all of us have these cars cos toyota got it 90% right except for power output, and once you drive a good turbo conversion you realize just how good these cars are, but I think the cost of a full high power conversion just frightens people so if there was a way of doing it bit by bit it mite make it reality and not just a dream!! well thats my way of thinking anyway  s:D :D s:D

450-hp turbo man

sorry mate forgot to mention about mapping it, im trying a way of using the original maf infront of turbo but with iat sensor after!! and using a rissing rate fuel pressure reg, I think there's enough head room in the standard maf to cope with about 5 psi hens the low cost for the fist stage   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I know where your going and could give advise. Pm a number to call you and ill walk you though some info that might help on that.

450-hp turbo man

tryed pm,ing you mate but keeps telling me users not available!!! probably me being thick Lol.

pauls0212

as this is about gaugeing interest i think a price needs to be known, as we are all interested at £500 but not many at £10,000
red 2003 standard so far

James and his MR2

I'm rather interested indeed

cptspaulding

certainly very curious
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

450-hp turbo man

Ha Ha yep I understand you would need prices! but I would like to finalize a kit with good reliable components before getting people excited!!! but I would be guesing somewhere around £2000-2500 ish and then if you want to go higher power later you would be looking at another £1500-2000 which splits the cost quite nicely!!! James Im in Wallington just up the road from you so if you want to look at some of my work Im sure we could meet some time!!!

damo66

This sounds very interesting, like the description of good torque and decent power....

MattPerformance

I wouldn't trust a kit that doesn't have a management solution.  Even at 5psi the stock ECU would run too lean and the stock ECU cannot remove anywhere near enough ignition advance to make it safe.  Plus there would be no overboost protection so any failure to the wastegate actuation operation would mean catastrophic engine failure.  I presume the 5psi version would be without intercooling (hence the post turbo temp reading)?

Having developed and supplied such kits I can also advise that 90+% of buyers want to go for a higher output straight from the off (or within weeks of getting the low output version) so having an upgrade path ready to go is vital to the success of the product.

Fabricated manifolds on these cars (for turbo applications) have not proved reliable so a proper cast unit is preferable.  If a fabricated one was properly tested and proven then I think it would be acceptable, but that would take a lot of time to prove.

Is the £2000-2500 a fitted price (including oil and filter and so on)?

450-hp turbo man

Hi matt, thanks for inputt, I do agree on most points you make, but with a little research And a few electronic failsafes I think it could work quite safely!! I'm doing some development work at mo but it's high pursuer at mo and if reliable at high psi witch it has been for 2000 miles and lots of abuse so far!! Then I'm going to spend some time in new year on low psi kit, and yes that price would be self fit, but as I sed if more power was wanted then a management system could be added, that way it spreads the cost and gives a chance for people to get used to the extra power!! I fabricate all my own manifolds and exhaust's only use top quality materials ant only tig everything so reliability seams good so far !!!

Tags: