The appliance of turbo science!!!

Started by 450-hp turbo man, December 18, 2013, 22:13

mrzwei

I know there are different views on this but, for me, it's nothing to do with spelling or grammer (  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).
It's about communication.
My German is not bad but if you ask me to write it it's a grammatical disaster BUT I can be understood in print.
The best sales person I came across actually couldn't read or write.
Some of the best English grammar I've come across on here was actually posted by a German.
There are quite a few posters on here whose spelling and grammar is not A+ but so what? That's not the point of a car forum.

On my campervan forum most of the members are probably in their 60's and I can assure you that the overall standard is much worse than on here.

Everybody chill    s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

loadswine

This is going off topic a bit, but to clarify, the reason we have rules on the way posts are written, is because we have many members and readers who's first language is not English and they want to understand as well. The odd mis spelling is not the problem, it is the use of contractions like 'cos' and lazy text speak that are the real issue. This was explained by Nic , a few posts above.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

chimpman

more air + more fuel = bigger explosion

reliability will almost certainly suffer when the forces involved are applied to components, whether part of the engine or elsewhere in the drive train or bits that make you stop. if you accept that then fill yer boots, nothing wrong with experimenting with tunning but you dont get something for nothing.
2005 Chilli Red. Mods.... Pine magic tree

mrzwei

I take your point but don't totally agree.
I had a stage one remap on my Saab which increased the torque by a massive 33% and the BHP by 40%. I should have done it the other way  'round because I then had to sort the suspension and brakes.
I've had the car like that for around 12 years and it's over 100k with no issues whatsoever. I still get torque steer if I'm too foot happy at the lights.
Only reason I keep is it's not worth selling.
I guess some engines can take the modifications and others can't.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

Micha

In what concerns turbo vs NA connecting rod load, turbo man is 100% right. And as conrods are the weak part on the 1ZZ it is relevant to underline that advantage.
2001 RHD Silver - Greddy T517Z Turbo - TopSecret Manifold - PTR muffler - PWR CC - Blitz 525cc -  Moroso + Oil Cooler - TRD ShortShifter - Shifter Cable Bushing - JDL Body + TopSecret Fr. Bumper- TRD Strut & Underbrace F/R - Central X bar - ZenkyRacing Coilovers - Rear Arms - Front Anti-roll bar

chimpman

Quote from: "mrzwei"I take your point but don't totally agree.
I had a stage one remap on my Saab which increased the torque by a massive 33% and the BHP by 40%. I should have done it the other way  'round because I then had to sort the suspension and brakes.
I've had the car like that for around 12 years and it's over 100k with no issues whatsoever. I still get torque steer if I'm too foot happy at the lights.
Only reason I keep is it's not worth selling.
I guess some engines can take the modifications and others can't.

thats a single anecdote, its like saying that peter o'toole smoked heavily, drank like a fish and lived to 85. therefore neither of those things are harmful. take 1000 sabb engines, do the same mod and compare to 1000 un modified engines. if they both retain the same reliability and both require the same maintenance regime then i stand corrected.

mrzwei

Quote from: "chimpman"more air + more fuel = bigger explosion

reliability will almost certainly suffer when the forces involved are applied to components, whether part of the engine or elsewhere in the drive train or bits that make you stop. if you accept that then fill your boots, nothing wrong with experimenting with tunning but you dont get something for nothing.

At least my example is real life evidence.
You just make an unsupported statement with no evidence whatsoever.
From posts on here the clutch would seem to be the weakest link when going turbo. I can't recall any posts about people blowing engines but that's not to say that they don't exist. You would need to do some research. Anyway, we,re off to Germany   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

loadswine

No, remaps on turbocharged petrol and diesel cars are different situations to modifying cars like the Roadster which were designed as NA. When manufacturers design their maps for a mass produced turbo car, they dial things back a little to allow for poor fuel, extreme conditions in some markets, poor servicing and unsympathetic driving. Most aftermarket remaps liberate that redundant performance, with a fair amount of ease and the gains are significant. The resulting uprated vehicle can be quite reliable, but may not be entirely without the odd issue. Bear in mind though, that all the internal components would likely be over designed from the factory anyway.
The 1zz engine does not have those  components over designed in the same way, so it is more of a minefield, but experience has shown some areas more vulnerable than others, once the output figures start to climb. Conrods are a particular area, as Micha has pointed out, as is the chocolate gearbox.
Its not all bad though, when you think that these components don't actually hold up too badly at outputs close to double their original intended amounts. Above that level and historical feedback shows you will be into replacing failed items regularly, unless stronger components are used.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

shnazzle

I can with some certainty say that, as loadswine says, turbo'd cars can quite reliably be pushed to far more power for an extended period of time with little to no negative effects. Sure the engine life is reduced a couple years in the end, and they need a few more services, but all in all I can point out hundreds who have done this reliably (I'm one of them).

As for NA engines, diving back into the 90s and early 2000s, I remember quite a few people blowing their engines or causing expensive damage after doing cam mods, NOS, turbo kits with insufficient cooling, turbo kits with too much boost, turbo kits on crappy engines. Everything including Hondas, Toyotas, Renaults, Opel/Vauxhalls.

So it does seem to be a case of having to strengthen internals and gearbox on NA engines.

So as Nic has suggested many times; unless you're prepared to spend big bucks and do it properly, focus on handling mods  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

450-hp turbo man

The simple answer I think is if you don't know all that much about this subject then only increase power by 60 ish % that way with regular servicing and a good conversion you should stay as reliable as standard!! But if you have the know how and the facility's to experiment then 200-300 or even 400 % increase is possible. I'm still running my first setup on 12 psi and doing some experimenting with fuel at the moment! And on pump gas I get 250 hp and 218 lb reliably, on 105 gas I get 316 hp and 268 lb of torque, all with same boost, however the timing is much more aggressive with 105, and it's all possible because with boosted cold charge you get a much much longer burn!! I'm building a new engine at the moment, 1zz all forged and that will be running with 1.5 bar of boost and should produce about 450 hp and hopefully high 300's in torque, but will it be fit and forget? Of course not it will need a very good maintenance program to keep it healthy !! But with that sort of power in such a light package it won't be stressed for as long as my 250 hp motor because at 250 hp I'm on full throttle a lot longer than with 450 hp!! So as with lots of things in life it's not always as strait forward as it seames!!

chimpman

Quote from: "mrzwei"
Quote from: "chimpman"more air + more fuel = bigger explosion

reliability will almost certainly suffer when the forces involved are applied to components, whether part of the engine or elsewhere in the drive train or bits that make you stop. if you accept that then fill your boots, nothing wrong with experimenting with tunning but you dont get something for nothing.

At least my example is real life evidence.
You just make an unsupported statement with no evidence whatsoever.
From posts on here the clutch would seem to be the weakest link when going turbo. I can't recall any posts about people blowing engines but that's not to say that they don't exist. You would need to do some research. Anyway, we,re off to Germany   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

It's a single data point, interesting but inconclusive. Higher forces (and we're not talking a couple of hp) will cause more stress which if the components are close to the limit will have an effect - and not a good one. Like I say, good luck, it's interesting to mod cars but please don't claim that it will usually have zero effect on reliability.

450-hp turbo man

Well all I can say to that is if your the type who likes to keep everything 99% reliable ( because nothing even standard cars are not 100% reliable) then turbo mod's are not for you!! In which case this tread really is not aimed at those types, this thread is aimed at people who want lots more performance for relatively little out lay, but as You say you don't get nothing for nothing, but I'm sure people into modding all ready no and except that fact!!

Tags: