looking to fit an induction kit

Started by ty222, December 22, 2013, 00:44

ty222

ive just read my previous message where ive put "its not working well" is a typo its meant to say its now working well !!

I went on the theory of he who dares wins and only lost a bit haha the battery was disconnected regularly through the process as the car hasnt been on the road this week and has now been taken off again. it all seemed ok though, i will take a picture tomorrow,but it is in very securely and cannot move as i have bolted it.

Everything now seems ok and how it did before me tampering, i dont think the maf is damaged, it wouldnt start up when i had it connected with no air blowing onto it luckily

AckersMR2

Ahh well that explains a lot  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Looks like you might have found a working solution then, I would try and trim off the excess plastic from around the maf pipe to neaten it up a bit (the wall of the air box) but aside from that I don't see any reason it shouldn't work, it'll just look a bit home brew  s;-) ;-) s;-)
My only car is a Ducati 

Wabbitkilla

There used to be a company called Pelican Racing, you have pretty much achieved their intake design by the sounds of things.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

purplepowermonster

Maybe a lucky result here and I am pleased you have it all bolted in securely but I would avoid looking at any braking or handling upgrades just yet  :-) :-) :-)
(written tongue in cheek but I guess it has a serious side too....)
2006 red Facelift, love it!

ty222

Looking back it was simple, i guess the main thing is not to neglect the maf sensor, who knew ey  s;) ;) s;)  the last thing to do is trim the curved plastic off to make it tidy.

Metalligator

If you want a lot of noise you could always route a hose from the filter to just behind your head or by your ear, this would be quite convoluted and not a sensible solution though. :-p

vinp182

And now your car is breathing in lovely warm engine compartment air
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

parker455

You might find it runs quite choppy and sluggish, my mod was similar to that but with the filter attached to the air box behind it. Found when it was warm and in traffic it could stutter and splut. Returned back to standard for now.

ty222

Quote from: "vinp182"And now your car is breathing in lovely warm engine compartment air

afraid not, i have got a cold air intake pipe leading off the side vent into the filter.  s;) ;) s;)

Only time will tell if it runs any different i guess, if it is major i think ill do the same and purchase a standard airbox,but will test this out well first.

parker455

Quote from: "ty222"
Quote from: "vinp182"And now your car is breathing in lovely warm engine compartment air

afraid not, i have got a cold air intake pipe leading off the side vent into the filter.  s;) ;) s;)

Only time will tell if it runs any different i guess, if it is major i think ill do the same and purchase a standard airbox,but will test this out well first.

This was what mine was running, you'll find it will be sluggish in trafic or in similar situations

AckersMR2

Quote from: "parker455"You might find it runs quite choppy and sluggish, my mod was similar to that but with the filter attached to the air box behind it. Found when it was warm and in traffic it could stutter and splut. Returned back to standard for now.

So you had an induction kit and the original air box/filter all in line? their not generally designed to work like that?

I don't think so, the filter is shielded and its further away from the engine than the original one was, he also has a cold air pipe feed to the filter extending from the original air pipe, hopefully having done away with the restricting trumpet section off the original arrangement?
My only car is a Ducati 

parker455

Quote from: "AckersMR2"
Quote from: "parker455"You might find it runs quite choppy and sluggish, my mod was similar to that but with the filter attached to the air box behind it. Found when it was warm and in traffic it could stutter and splut. Returned back to standard for now.

So you had an induction kit and the original air box/filter all in line? their not generally designed to work like that?

I don't think so, the filter is shielded and its further away from the engine than the original one was, he also has a cold air pipe feed to the filter extending from the original air pipe, hopefully having done away with the restricting trumpet section off the original arrangement?

I tried running the air filter from the rear of the airbox, with no filter in the box, very similar to what the OP was doing. Was only something I was trying out and it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

AndyM

An empty air box is one hell of a cavity to create turbulence which will ruin the air flow.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

AckersMR2

Quote from: "AndyM"An empty air box is one hell of a cavity to create turbulence which will ruin the air flow.
+1 no wonder it didn't work?
My only car is a Ducati 

parker455

Exactly, lesson learnt, hence why I removed it. I gave up on the idea of the filter, exhaust drowned any noise out anyway.

7slaterj

Well done TY222!

I'm copying this solution  s:) :) s:)  Will have something put together tomorrow hopefully. It just seems logical that this is probably the best solution for intake.
Having the filter secured behind the battery, with a cold air feed from the side vent, and the original MAF cut from the air box in there too, all for less than £50  s:D :D s:D

Bet its the best place for sound too  s:) :) s:)

7slaterj

oh just realised this thread was from 2013! Sorry :p

Tags: