Turbo to exhaust leak...........

Started by wotugonado, January 2, 2014, 20:31

wotugonado

Calling all knowlegable people on here with experience of a turbo, I need advice on whether a leak where the turbo connects directly to the exhaust pipe pre
cat would cause a loss of power/boost ? Ive read the installation manual over and over  s:? :? s:?  and cant find mention of any gasket but have a quite noisy leak.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

mrzwei

If the leak is after the turbo then it can't really affect boost other than by disrupting flow a bit. If the leak is before the turbo then that would affect boost more as would a sticking waste gate (in the open position).
There will be either a gasket or an 'o' ring at the turbo to cat join.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

wotugonado

Thanks, im no expert on this in fact im a total novice, but thats what i thought after a lot and i mean a lot of reading on here and many other turbo sites. It pointed to
there being a problem with the actuator, but then interestingly i stumbled across this from an old turbo thread on here..............

"Reliability wise, I did have a cracked pipe on the TTE precat where it joined the turbo. That significantly reduced power (by about 25bhp) until it was fixed. Might be worth checking yours."

This sounds exactly like my problem, but would welcome input from more knowledgeable people.................
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

stupink

depending on where your o2 sensors are it could draw in fresh air and confuse the reading.
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

Tags: