2000 Roadster-Oxygen sensor

Started by Pierce, January 4, 2014, 14:30

Pierce

Just went for an MOT and the car was failing the emission test  until the tester ran it at 3000rpm or so for 30seconds.After this the emissions fell well below the pass level.The tester said it was a sluggish oxygen sensor.As I had driven 5 miles to the testing station I would have thought the exhaust system would be quite hot.I have no warning lights so don't know which sensor is sluggish.So,what to do?

StuC

Could be the MAF, but it is worth plugging a code reader in to check or codes.
It is not unheard of for people to blank the the warning light or remove the led.

Do you have a code reader? If not there might be a member near you to help you out.  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Pierce

All the warning lights come on with the ignition so no problem there.If there is a problem such as the oxygen sensor,MAF etc. will a fault register without triggering the engine warning light? Jeff

StuC

It is my understanding that the light will illuminate when a problem persists.

Just noticed that you are in Leicester. Whereabouts are you?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Pierce

A place called Botcheston which sounds more like a disease than a place name.Its close to Desford

Pierce

Further to last message.Which would be the best reader to buy and how come they are so cheap on ebay when garage kit appears to cost hundreds if not thousands? Car is a 2000.

andyhull

OBD readers vary in price, from as cheap as £20 up to a few hundred !!  online flea-bay is a good place to start
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

Ardent

Pierce
you have post

Pierce

Further to sluggish oxygen sensor on emission test but no MIL,it struck me that it has a non-precat manifold and when I bought it the manifold heat shields were missing.Rather than pay hundreds for new ones I wrapped the exhaust manifold thoroughly but of course the sensors stick out.I suppose these could have cooled down while waiting for the test which is why they were sluggish,though I thought they had heaters in them.Anyway no faults showing on my EOBDII.

Tags: