Best place to locate a battery isolator

Started by ajmuir, January 9, 2014, 17:25

ajmuir

Hi everyone, I'm interested in getting your opinion on the best place to mount a battery isolator in the engine bay.

My MR2 gets used sporadically and if I let it sit unused for >4 weeks, the alarm tends to run the battery dry.

To avoid this (and keep the battery in good condition) I'd like to fit an isolator so that when I expect the car won't be used for a while I can unhook the battery without having to get my tools out.

Are there any mounting locations I should avoid? Any recommended "strong" points near the battery tray?

Really appreciate your help.
2006 Sable MR2 TF300 (#81) - Hard top, air conditioning and TTE twin exhaust.

turbo 500

hi the only problem with switching off the battery supply is it can tend to screw up the alarm system my own battery went flat to lack of use.fitted new battery and had alarm faults  went to Toyota and they told me the alarm would to learn again. gerry

dj2k21

You could always swap the terminals for those from something like a peugeot 307 like I have. I noticed my peugeot ones were quick release so very easy indeed to remove the battery. I got some spares from a scrapyard for £5 and put them on the mr2. There perfect and the battery is so so easy to take in and out now
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

theredone

or you could consider getting a small solar panel to trickle charge the battery when the car is not in use.

dj2k21

Quote from: "theredone"or you could consider getting a small solar panel to trickle charge the battery when the car is not in use.

No good if the cars in a garage though?

I do have a very good charger I got from Demon Tweeks made by Ctek.
It's brilliant because it has a full charge and winter charge and top up functions etc. It comes with some special terminals with a kind of usb affair attached which you can mount somewhere easily accessible or something and simply plug it in and walk away
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

DannyN

Mount solar panel on roof of garage, wire through to car
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

ajmuir

I just wanted to liven up this post again to say that I've found a much easier solution to my battery-draining woes.

I found a product on eBay that requires no attachment to the body of the car, just the negative terminal of the battery. Simply unbolt the right-angled terminal from the negative lead coming from the battery and put this on instead.

Then it's just a case of turning the knob clockwise to engage the connection, or loosen anti-clockwise to disconnect the battery completely.

It works great and at only £5.50 it's money well spent if your MR2 spends a lot of time sadly tucked away in your garage.

2006 Sable MR2 TF300 (#81) - Hard top, air conditioning and TTE twin exhaust.

mr2matt

another vote for the trickle charger, I have used one on a couple of my cars and they work very well, especially on a small battery like the ones in MR2's and as I did an MX5.

I had this one,

m http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/solar-powered ... rger-l58bf m

Tags: