2zz starts, then misses and stalls

Started by Paul1087, January 11, 2014, 22:00

Paul1087

Hi all,

Had my 2zz installed and running well for about a month and 250 miles or so.

Completely out of the blue it now refuses to start, no warning signs prior.

The engine will start fine, after firing, the revs jump to about 2.5krpm then almost instantly it starts missing, choking and will shake on the engine mounts until it stalls. I can keep it alive a bit by pumping the throttle, but not for long.

I have tried two MAF sensors, both freshly cleaned. It also does the same thing with the MAF unplugged.

There are no visible vacuum leaks.

No stored error codes.

Mods are :-

PPE intake with "Drift" k&N cone filter located behind battery coming directly off throttle body.

CHE manifold to orginal 1zz exhaust.

Help!

parker455

Have you checked your plugs/coil pack?

mrzwei

Could be a lot of things but I'd start with the crank position sensor. If it's faulty then the ecu thinks the engine isn't turning so won't fuel or spark the motor and so won't throw a code. Check the security and state of the connections.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Paul1087

@parker - new plugs so they should be good, havent checked coils - cant find my multimeter!

@mrzwei - thanks - ill take a look at the cps.

Wabbitkilla

Vacuum leak?
Check your pipes around the throttle body.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

parker455

Any luck yet paul?

Paul1087

Car was picked up by my mechanic last night. Will update when I know.

Tags: