Using 1st gear to park on a slight incline doesnt work

Started by 328, January 15, 2014, 07:17

Hi Guys,

I left my car for a couple of weeks. Now when I drive it when I come to park up on a slight incline, I use 1st or reverse gear to lock the wheels, but it doesnt seem to work now? I dont like using the handbrake too much as it always loosens too fast over time.

Also when I drove the car off after sitting there for a couple of weeks there felt like seizing and driving away was very sluggish (like driving off with a handbrake on). Then whilst i was driving I felt something release and the car again felt easy to drive....dont know if the two things are related?

Any advice would be great  s:) :) s:)

Cheers,

Andy
Black 2000 MR2 MK3, Proflow quad exhaust system, K&N cool air induction kit, plasma glow dial dash, short shift gear, push button start, carbon fibre hardtop, TTE style bar, FL rear lights, dev keyhole covers, 17" inch alloys, HiD lights, decatted, GT carbon drift wing, 35mm lowering springs, c one vents, front and rear struts, facelift rear mesh, td lip bodykit

locobuilder brian

a) Dont leave a car parked in gear it can cause the clutch plates to lock together, particularly if left for an extended period.
b) your handbrake is not working correctly probably only one side is holding, usually caused by the "cam" within the caliper being seized or less likely a seized
cable.
c) from your description it further looks like your one working handbrake caliper had stuck on freeing itself as you drove, this sometimes happens if a car has been left handbrake on for an extended period, I am guessing your hand brake lever needs a lot of travel to apply.
In short your handrake needs attention. Steve Green has an excellent write up of on how to overhaul calipers on this site.

Thanks for your reply...is the seizing a common thing with mr2's? Is there any way to reduce the chanes of this happening?

I dont get this with my hondas?

Cheers,

Andy
Black 2000 MR2 MK3, Proflow quad exhaust system, K&N cool air induction kit, plasma glow dial dash, short shift gear, push button start, carbon fibre hardtop, TTE style bar, FL rear lights, dev keyhole covers, 17" inch alloys, HiD lights, decatted, GT carbon drift wing, 35mm lowering springs, c one vents, front and rear struts, facelift rear mesh, td lip bodykit

wotugonado

Yeah calipers appear to be a weak link, very common for them to seize. As stated there's a how too on caliper refurbishing which will answer any questions better than I can.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

nimrod

I never had this with any of my previous cars, I think it is a common fault, I always leave my car in gear, not sure it's because the calipers are exposed to the elements, especialy recently.

Jandaw

Quote from: "locobuilder brian"a) Dont leave a car parked in gear it can cause the clutch plates to lock together, particularly if left for an extended period.
b) your handbrake is not working correctly probably only one side is holding, usually caused by the "cam" within the caliper being seized or less likely a seized
cable.
c) from your description it further looks like your one working handbrake caliper had stuck on freeing itself as you drove, this sometimes happens if a car has been left handbrake on for an extended period, I am guessing your hand brake lever needs a lot of travel to apply.
In short your handrake needs attention. Steve Green has an excellent write up of on how to overhaul calipers on this site.

Don't quite understand
(a) Once you take your foot off the clutch it's engaged. There's no way it can be kept disengaged whether parked in gear or not.
(b)  In my experience it's most likely the caliper is not sliding freely.
(c)  Can be identified by excessive wear on inner pad whilst visible pad is ok.

Also don't understand why OP states that parking in gear doesn't work.

Maybe it's me??

Quote from: "Jandaw"
Quote from: "locobuilder brian"Also don't understand why OP states that parking in gear doesn't work.

Maybe it's me??

Hi there,

When I park on a slight incline. Let say my car would technically roll backwards......I turn my engine off and the put 1 st gear in....normally this should 'lock' so that my car wont roll backwards...but in my car it still rolls backwards......  

Hope this makes sense....or it is most likely down to my bad english! lol

SteveJ

Relying on the engine to lock the wheels in turn relies on the engine to not have any leakage in the cylinders - if the trapped air inside the cylinders can escape then they will move, allowing the crank to rotate and in turn the wheels.

As cars get older the pistons inevitably don't seal as well as they did at manufacture so using the engine as a parking break becomes less & less effective.

Thanks guys for all your advice....definitely taken on board  s:) :) s:)

tricky1138

Quote from: "locobuilder brian"a) Dont leave a car parked in gear it can cause the clutch plates to lock together, particularly if left for an extended period.

Well I never knew that! I have always left my car in gear (and I'm sure I got taught it by my driving instructor) as I have never trusted any handbrake, even less so with the MR2!

Never had a problem with the clutch ever, but have had several cases of handbrake rusted on!
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

cabbydave

I would have said the caliper has seized on the sliders therefore only moving one pad when applying the hand brake.

Yeah will investigate about the calipers  s:) :) s:)  

Yeah I was alway told before to park in gear....that's why I was mystified my car don't stay  s:( :( s:(

Glad I am not the only one  s:) :) s:)  lol

Cheers for the advice from everyone  s:) :) s:)

2 of the left

Park up as close as possible to kerb( without damaging your alloys ) and turn the steering so that the front wheel nearest the kerb butts up to it therefore making the kerb act like a chock !! AND NO You shouldn't leave the car in gear when parked up - You may be obstructing an area and find your car has been towed/lifted away to a compound because police could not move it whilst in gear!! - Also should your 2 have a " shunt" then you will sustain damage to gears/clutch as well as bodywork!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

nimrod

I park where legal and always use the handbrake, I have done that for 34 years no problem.

Interesting comments  s:) :) s:)  didnt think of any of those reasons!

cabbydave

Why does the smt manual say leave it in gear and handbrake on when parked on a incline

nimrod

Not sure, probably because the handbrake is c**p.

Markb

I have 4 cars here sitting in gear on the drive........been doing it for years,at work whatever i am driving sits in gear on a hill with the handbrake on,never had a problem ever.

MR TWO

Quote from: "328"Yeah I was alway told before to park in gear....that's why I was mystified my car don't stay  s:( :( s:(
To be clear, you park your car leaving it in gear.  The car will the roll forward or backwards for a distance?

It might move slightly forward or slightly backwards, depending on which way your car is facing relative to the incline.  It should not roll hardly at all.

Unless of course all the cars I have ever owned including my current MR2 were broken.
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

Quote from: "MR TWO"
Quote from: "328"Yeah I was alway told before to park in gear....that's why I was mystified my car don't stay  s:( :( s:(
To be clear, you park your car leaving it in gear.  The car will the roll forward or backwards for a distance?

It might move slightly forward or slightly backwards, depending on which way your car is facing relative to the incline.  It should not roll hardly at all.

Unless of course all the cars I have ever owned including my current MR2 were broken.

Yeah leave my car in gear like my other cars actually.....but the gear either first or reverse depending on which way the slope is...agree there will be a little movement.....but not like so it keeps rolling...that is a little too much roll  s:( :( s:(

frogger

This ^^^ is simply not true.  (so there's a good reason why people haven't heard of it before!  Its not a real thing!)

When your foot is off the clutch pedal, every part of the clutch+flywheel combination is in the same position whether in gear or not.

locobuilder brian

It happened! Left car in gear for three weeks on slope with clutch loaded, would not release even when car started in gear clutch pedal down trying to break it free against brake. Gearbox had to be dropped clutch dismantled cleaned & rebuilt. Granted it was a ford but I have never left a car in gear since!
Its also common on motorcycles left over winter but fortunately usually break free if bike started in gear clutch lever in.

cabbydave

I once had a problem with the clutch dticking drove the car from Telford to Stockport with no clutch but the nect day I went to use the clutch and it started working

normanh

Try leaving the car in 3rd, the gearing in 1st will enable the car to move far to easily. Yes I totally disagree with the comments on not using the gears - I would only leave in gear together with the handbrake either in a high gear or reverse if on a hill depending on what direction I am facing with the wheel turned to the kerb. Not using the hand brake is simply asking for trouble. If its operable it will work and using a gear gives extra security. If your handbrake is not holding your vehicle is thus defective in the eyes of the law and will fail the MOT - its nickable! You take a trip on a ferry and you are instructed to leave the car in gear!, As its been said the clutch is in the same position whether in gear or out of gear so whats being said about the clutch binding etc is shear  sbollocks bollocks sbollocks , all thats different is the gears are engaged.

Unless things have changed which I dont think they have see  m http://www.driving-test-success.com/parkingacar.htm m  thats how I was taught 42 years ago.

Norman

sh4branze

Sounds like a cable problem.Is there play in the brake lever? Try disconnecting the cable at the calipers and see if it improves.

Tags: