Using 1st gear to park on a slight incline doesnt work

Started by 328, January 15, 2014, 07:17

SteveJ

Quote from: "normanh"Try leaving the car in 3rd, the gearing in 1st will enable the car to move far to easily.

Errrr - NO! The higher ratio of 1st gear means more effort will be needed at the wheels to turn the engine - hence why you change to a LOWER gear to engine brake whilst driving.

Basic engineering principles  s;) ;) s;)

Jandaw

+1

Shot yourself in the foot there Norman, this is what you were quoting.

Parking On Hills

When you park facing uphill:

park your car as close to the nearside kerb as you can (if there is one)
leave your steering wheel turned to the right, so if the car rolls backwards, the front wheels will be stopped by the kerb
if there is no kerb, leave your steering wheel turned to the left, so if your car rolls back it won't roll into the road
leave the car in first gear
apply the parking brake firmly.
When you park facing downhill:

leave the steering wheel turned to the left, so the kerb will stop ant forward movement
leave your car in reverse gear
apply the parking brake firmly.

locobuilder brian

Frogger. Google seized clutches. I am not the only person to experience it.

SteveJ

Quote from: "locobuilder brian"Frogger. Google seized clutches. I am not the only person to experience it.

I just did. Not seeing any evidence that being in-gear causes it though. 90% of the posts say the car was left in neutral and the clutch stuck to the flywheel. Also they are talking about seriously long storage times (years) rather than overnight on a driveway,

Suggest you might want to stop flogging this particular dead horse.

trickyD

Quote from: "frogger"
Quote from: "locobuilder brian"a) Dont leave a car parked in gear it can cause the clutch plates to lock together, particularly if left for an extended period.

This ^^^ is simply not true.  (so there's a good reason why people haven't heard of it before!  Its not a real thing!)

When your foot is off the clutch pedal, every part of the clutch+flywheel combination is in the same position whether in gear or not.

Nope! It's a real thing but pretty rare.
It's only for cars left standing for long periods.

Either way your clutch will be knackered (as you point out) but if you left it in neutral you can move the car  s;) ;) s;)

It's pretty old school TBH. For all I know new clutches don't seize.
But it's not a lie
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Anonymous

Quote from: "trickyD"
Quote from: "frogger"
Quote from: "locobuilder brian"a) Dont leave a car parked in gear it can cause the clutch plates to lock together, particularly if left for an extended period.

This ^^^ is simply not true.  (so there's a good reason why people haven't heard of it before!  Its not a real thing!)

When your foot is off the clutch pedal, every part of the clutch+flywheel combination is in the same position whether in gear or not.

Nope! It's a real thing but pretty rare.
It's only for cars left standing for long periods.

Either way your clutch will be knackered (as you point out) but if you left it in neutral you can move the car  s;) ;) s;)

It's pretty old school TBH. For all I know new clutches don't seize.
But it's not a lie

Or you could just knock the gear leaver into neutral without dipping the clutch (Seized or not   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Tags: