People who run AD08/R

Started by Stifler, February 2, 2014, 14:35

Stifler

Hey all,

I noticed a nail in my front left tyre this morning as I was washing it  s:( :( s:(   I have AD08s on ATM and really like them.

However it seems they have been superceeded by the AD08R.  I still have 6mm tread on the other front so was hoping I could get away with just buying one.  

I'll go and search for a AD08 now but if I can't find one do you think there would be any issue with throwing an R on?  I presume the compound is different and I don't want to upset the balance.

Thanks for any and all help  s:) :) s:)

-Mark.

wotugonado

If its in good condition and depending on where the nail is, you may be able to have
it repaired, not sure of the cost these days but i reckon £20 quid would cover it.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Stifler

I had thought about that but as I use the car on track I wasn't sure if I'd be comfortable with a plugged tyre being put under that load.  

Or am I being over cautious?

wotugonado

Oh not sure about track days, may still be worth an ask.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Stifler

Thanks for the input, I'll ask around tomorrow  s:) :) s:)

stupink

over cautious imo. if it can be repaired do it  s:) :) s:)    (they'll only repair tread, not sidewall/end tread).
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

mrzwei

Interesting point here, I was in a similar situation with my daughter's Rover a couple of years ago.
Thing is that if you want it repaired properly then the tyre has to come off and a vulcanised plug inserted from the inside (or something like that   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).
The tyre / wheel has to be rebalanced and refitted.
So you pay all of the labour charge as you would for fitting a new tyre plus the cost of inserting the plug.
The guy said that given the wear on my tyre I might just as well fit a new one. I'd just sold the car and said to the buyer I'd fix the tyre but what I saved was very marginal.
Good call for 'how much for cash?' really.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Alex Knight

Quote from: "wotugonado"Oh not sure about track days, may still be worth an ask.

I've done several trackdays in my ST205 Celica GT-Four in a tyre with two puncture repairs. Had zero problems.

Stifler

Cheers Alex,

Been swamped at work so haven't had a chance to do anything about it yet but a quick glance this morning and the tyre *looks* to be at the same pressure.  Will double check tonight however.  

I'll nip it into a place to get an opinion before taking things further.

Thanks for all the comments so far guys, it's been a big help.

ETA: should have said, nail looks to have gone in centre tread at a slight angle.  Nail was probably about 2.5cm long.  Fingers crossed it has only gone into the tread block and not the actual carcass.

Stifler

Looks like I might have got away with it after all.  The PSI hasn't dropped and looks like going in at an angle means it has only got the tread block, not the carcass:

nimrod

I had the same on the MOT, took it to a tyre place and they removed the screw with no puncture.

Two's Company

Where's the cheapest place to buy AD08R?

Stifler

I bought mine from EARS motorsport: http://ears.co.uk/

Looking at my cost tracking sheet they set me back £370 - that was for a FL car back in August last year.

You might be able to get cheaper if you shop around.  FWIW Ears were pretty spot on and were delivered next day.

mr mr2

I'm a few weeks  I'm getting a new set off tyres ad08s are top on my wish list are they worth it or should I just get toyos tr1s ????
Excelsior

shnazzle

They grip like nothing else on my car. Tramlining can be a bit mental sometimes but worth it overall now that I'm used to them
...neutiquam erro.

nimrod

Never had problems with tramlining with Yokohamas, I did with Bridgestones.

shnazzle

Coming from Toyos to Yokos...tramlining smacks you in the face. Maybe it's the roads here. Haha. Granted, it was worst up the A1 from the south
...neutiquam erro.

Two's Company

£412.76 delivered for a set of facelift sizes from Camskill.  Not many places seem to stock them.

mr mr2

Right just spoke to a man at ears £220 fully fitted for toyos and £400 fully fitted for ad08s        185 55 15 and 205 50 15
Excelsior

shnazzle

FYI I'm running 195/50/15 and 225/45/16, bit wider than normal. Works well
...neutiquam erro.

Two's Company

Are the wider sizes cheaper?  If not, I don't see the point.  The steering is better with 185 on the front.

Two's Company

195 & 225 £8 per set cheaper on camskill.

shnazzle

Steering is indeed better with 185, but looks a bit better hAhaa
...neutiquam erro.

Two's Company

Has anyone found anywhere with AD08Rs in stock in facelift sizes?  I'm struggling to locate anywhere with them on the shelf and they are on backorder from Yokohama until 17 July.  

Cheers

SteveMK3

Quote from: "Two's Company"Has anyone found anywhere with AD08Rs in stock in facelift sizes?  I'm struggling to locate anywhere with them on the shelf and they are on backorder from Yokohama until 17 July.  

Cheers

Don't know if it's still the same but I bought some very recently from Blackcircles and stock was fine at the time.

Tags: