2ZZ small problem

Started by Andys-N20, February 2, 2014, 22:18

Andys-N20

So been driving my 2ZZ for about 6 months and its great, just has some teething issues with EML's.
One is P0410 secondary air injection system malfunction – now the Celica has an air pump but my MR2 does not, this never came on until after months of driving and has only done it once or twice since.
The more common one is P0420 and normally comes on when on longer runs and when the engine is hot. Most especially when motorway driving, that said I did about 60 miles on a motorway and no EML and on the way home with a cold engine it came on after afew miles, not got around to looking at the voltages of the lambda sensors but I guess I could space the post cat one out or use a resistor to correct the voltage value.
No idea with the air pump, dont understand why it would only do it once a blue moon.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

dcod

QuoteOne is P0410 secondary air injection system malfunction – now the Celica has an air pump but my MR2 does not, this never came on until after months of driving and has only done it once or twice since.

I get exactly the same. I just live with it.

I started getting 420 ~3 months after my swap. I have a sport cat and the emissions were completely fine (I compared my values with MOTs from people with 1zzs). It could be how our O2 sensors fit in our aftermarket exhausts. I guess the resistor fix is probably the best solution but maybe a spacer might help.

Can I ask where your precat O2 sensor is? Mine is monitoring bank 1 (should really be moved to just before the cat).
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

Sorry, I've just realised the resistor fix will only simulate the heater circuit part of the O2 sensor and cannot simulate the operation of receiving the sign wave (the cat efficiency operation).
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

nathanMR2

I used to get this when I had a sports cat on the odd occasion, usually cruising speed on the motorway. I fitted an anti fouler and it cured the issue.

I still have mine which I don't need any more. You can have it for the cost of postage and a donation to the club funds if your interested
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

dcod

Quote from: "nathanMR2"I used to get this when I had a sports cat on the odd occasion, usually cruising speed on the motorway. I fitted an anti fouler and it cured the issue.

I still have mine which I don't need any more. You can have it for the cost of postage and a donation to the club funds if your interested

Are you talking about both 410 and 420? Sorry for my ignorance but what is an anti-fouler?

nathanMR2

Just the 0420. An antifouler is just an extender you screw into the cat (where the O2 sensor would go). Your O2 sensor then screws into this.

It allows some of the gases to get to the sensor to get a reading but not enough to make it throw a EML
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

dcod

Ah right, a spacer(?). Would you know where to get one? Are they universal?

ray835

flea-bay
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

dcod

Andys-N20

Never heard of an 'anti fouler'   s:D :D s:D  learn something new everyday

Quote from: "dcod"Can I ask where your precat O2 sensor is? Mine is monitoring bank 1 (should really be moved to just before the cat).
My post and pre-cat are both located immediately before and after the cat.

Quote from: "dcod"Sorry, I've just realised the resistor fix will only simulate the heater circuit part of the O2 sensor and cannot simulate the operation of receiving the sign wave (the cat efficiency operation).
I know about the resistor mod you are thinking of but was not talking about that. The O2 sends a small voltage back to the ECU (I think about 1.5V). What I was thinking is putting a resistor on the output of the O2 sensor to alter the voltage that the ECU is receiving. This would only work if the voltage was high. Just another crazy idea of mine.

Quote from: "nathanMR2"when I had a sports cat on the odd occasion, usually cruising speed on the motorway. I fitted an anti fouler and it cured the issue.
Hhmmm, interesting... Mine is a sports cat.

Another thaught, I had two new O2 NGK sensors so maybe they get coked up or bed in and that's why the trouble was delayed by afew months....
When I picked the car up from the exhaust manufacturers, the boss on the pre-cat was soooo long that the car was running rich, that was altered and what a difference, I have lived with it since putting up with the occasional code popping up. I bet the post cat is the faulty one now, its quite short. Does anyone know what voltages I should expect and/or what should the difference be between the post and pre-cat sensors voltage-wise.
Also with regards to P0410 any idea why the ECU would attempt to switch it on? I heard its to do with unburned fuel, so if she is running rich, it could all be tied in with the P0420 and the O2 readings.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

jonty

I've got a zorstec system on my 2zz mr2, but have only just got it on the road despite buying it at the same time as Andy.

I also get p0420, so was wondering what was the definitive solution... Does the lambda spacer go under the pre or post cat sensor?

Also, my car ran lean at 1.03 on the MOT test, so I'm wondering of I need to get the Pre cat sensor spaced out slightly, given that Andy had it running rich on a long Mount boss?

Any ideas 2zz and sports car equipped 1zz people?!

Anonymous

I run a 200cell cat and a spacer on the POST cat sensor and never (yet) thrown a code

doodlepugg

Mine has had the post cat lambda code appear, but it hasn't for some time now. Secondary air injection one has come up aswell.
My latest is P0125 though, I'm hoping it was just an air bubble in the cooling system after changing the water pump. I jacked the back of the car right up and burped it for a while, hopefully that should sort it, as my pre cat lambda is brand new denso!

Does the apexi pfc still give you the engine warning lights as with a standard ecu?

jonty

Quote from: "doodlepugg"Mine has had the post cat lambda code appear, but it hasn't for some time now.
How far out does you pre cat sensor sit, and what was your last MOT lambda reading?

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"I run a 200cell cat and a spacer on the POST cat sensor and never (yet) thrown a code

Cheers mate, I'll give this a go. Did you use a straight spacer or a 90 deg one? How far out does your pre cat sensor sit, and what was your MOT lambda reading? On my car the rear sensor cycles faster than the front because it seems to get better airflow, so maybe this is what upsets the DTC detection logic.

Any ideas for the lean running? I'm using a stock MAF housing with the vanes still installed, connected directly to a cone filter and silicone joiners to the TB. Not sure what I should do... Jimmy around with the inlet or do something on the pre cat sensor.

Anonymous

Mine is a straight one but it depends where your sensor is, either are fine just as long as it doesn't foul anything.

jonty

OK cool, I'll see what I can find that doesn't look too aweful, and I'll have a look for some copper washers or something to put under the pre-cat sensor to try and push it a bit richer...

Anonymous

I wouldn't try and fool the pre cat sensor, personally, I'd try to find the route cause of that problem

jonty

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"I wouldn't try and fool the pre cat sensor, personally, I'd try to find the route cause of that problem

Yeah I've been thinking whether there could be an actual issue, but it's strange that Andys-N20 had his car running really rich with the same exhaust but a long boss, and then it was sorted by chopping this down..

Things it could be are:

an air leak in the inlet
air leak in exhaust
not enough fuel being injected
lambda sensor position

so I guess I've got to work my way through this list gradually...
I got 300 miles to a tank of motorway driving, so how does that compare to you? If I am getting much different then maybe that hints at an actual issue, otherwise it could be just the tailpipe reading...

Anonymous

I have only done one full tank , I've been just putting small amounts in. But I got about 300ish from that tank, so not far off. That's mixed, mostly short journeys though

Tags: