Rear trailing/stabliser arm removal? (Pics)

Started by 1ZZ-FE, February 11, 2014, 18:59

1ZZ-FE

The rear subframe has been removed because a large rotten hole in it....

The idea was to remove the arms, source a replacement subframe, fit arms to new subframe - sorted. I'm assuming there must be a 'nack' to this because no amount of heating & beating would get the bolts to shift!!! I'm also feeling this is going to be an expensive day, right?

Any help most appreciated.
Jim
Toyota Hall of Fame = 1990 H - MR2 MK2 16v ]

Mark080

I had the same problem with mine.  I angle grinded a lot of the beam away from the arms.  I then took a small screwdriver, one of those glasses repair kind and picked away all the crap between the bolt and bush then sprayed lots of WD40 in there.  Left it 5 mins then started smashing the bolts with a massive hammer.  Eventually the bolts started to loosen and came out.  Was tough.

See my posts in this thread on it:

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38963 l
2001 Silver MR2 Roadster

1ZZ-FE

Well I feel much better for knowing they're a pig to remove! I have sourced a replacement subframe with arms attached so by next week I'll be sorted. Good idea about grinding the old frame away - I can have a spare set of arms and work the rot out with a precision screwdriver.

I was genuinely amazed how much punishment they resisted. Bolt stayed put and collapsed the frame around it!!!

Jim

SteveJ

Make sure the bolts in the replacement sub-frame are easy to move - they are used to adjust the toe-angle on the rear wheels. If they don't move you won't be able to get an alignment done and probably end up with a nasty handling car!

For the record - YES - you will have to get a 4 wheel alignment done after replacing the sub-frame.

markiii

id get new arms and bolts

they are a sod to remove, we had cut the head of the bolt and burn out the rubber bush on one of the worst i came across
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

1ZZ-FE

I thought as much. The car is being lowered on Tein springs aswell so was considering a full set up anyway.

By 'make sure they move' do you mean, back off the nut and see if they rotate or must the increment plates be removed also?

I will assess them when I get them - poly bushing the ones I have/get could be an option with new bolts? Is there a member-preferred place for 4 wheel alignment for the Roadster?

Regards,
Jim

Anonymous

Jim, what did you do in the end? I tried to get my alignment done last week but they couldn't get the adjustment bolts removed  s:( :( s:(

Tags: