Battery charger

Started by adscan, February 22, 2014, 22:09

adscan

Quick one...
I use my MR2 very little and it can sit in the garage for weeks without use. I have got a trickle charger to leave plugged in to keep the battery healthy.
Do I have to disconnect the battery from the car to charge or can I connect the charger straight to the battery without removing the car connections. Will I do damage if connect directly? I don't want the faff of having to re connect the terminals every time if want to use it.

mrzwei

Most modern chargers are 'smart' and will look after your battery automatically. You don't have to disconnect the battery.
What type have you got?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

adscan

It is a trickle charger...like this,

Maypole 7423A Battery Charger Auto Electronic 3.8A 12V 2014 Model

mrzwei

That should give the battery the required amount of initial charge and then trickle charge as and when required to hold it at that level. It won't allow the battery to be overcharged.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

adscan

So okay to charge with the terminals connected??

mrzwei

Yes
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

SFerrari

I personaly use a C-TEK charger (maintain charge) over the terminals, it is a great purchase that I recommand....

Tags: