Caliper refurbishment, brake hoses and fluid!

Started by tricky1138, February 28, 2014, 09:00

tricky1138

So after getting an advisory on my MOT and knowing the handbrake was rubbish anyway, I'm looking at replacing the rear callipers.

I managed to pick up a pair of old calipers and going to get the Big Red refurb kit.

I have a local guy that will shot blast them for me then I'll paint them up.

Question is do I need to totally dismantle them before blasting or leave it till afterwards? My concern is that the cylinder might get damaged during the process if I remove the piston?

Anyone done it before? Any recommendations on what to remove?

Caliper as it stands :

Also been looking at changing the brake hoses while I'm on. Are the uprated ones worth it? Is it worth doing the rears? Been looking at the Hel ones. Any good?

m http://www.brake-lines.co.uk/hel-brake- ... -2000.html m

Also while I'm there, is it worth changing to 5.1 fluid? I'm only planning on changing the rears at the moment. Would it be better to change the fluid later on after I've done the fronts too?
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

tomaky

out of interest how much is the kit? and the blasting?
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Anonymous

I got a pair of refurb calipers off eBay for £60 each (after surcharge refund) and I was impressed, nicely blasted, painted, etc.

I am fitting hoses too, you might as well when your in there doing it all anyway. The rubbers are probably quite perished by now and it's not a job you'd probably rush to do again just to replace the hoses in the future. HEL are quite highly rated, I would go for them

tricky1138

Quote from: "tomaky"out of interest how much is the kit? and the blasting?

The Bigg Red kit is £30 each for a refurb diy. I don't know the price for them to do it.

I can get them shot blasted for £10 then it's just a paint with some hammerite.

Think I'm going down the Hel route while I'm there.

Just deciding whether to change fluid now or later!
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

tomaky

ive gone HEL and 5.1 dot, just get it done while your there  s:) :) s:) , ill be changing a caliper near future, ill buy buying a refurbished unit, mines sticking deciding wether to do it now or after my next pay as im travelling to sheffield 3 hour drive next friday and back ha
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

tricky1138

Ok, I'm going down the Hel route with 5.1 fluid.

Just need to know what to do about shot blasting the old calipers.

Should I remove the piston before or after blasting?

Should I remove everything else too?

tomaky

Id just splash out if it had been me, might be worth replacing the springs though.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

shnazzle

Quote from: "tricky1138"Ok, I'm going down the Hel route with 5.1 fluid.

Just need to know what to do about shot blasting the old calipers.

Should I remove the piston before or after blasting?

Should I remove everything else too?

I'd definitely remove the pistons. Don't want to damage the sleeves and get grit in between.

Are these the ones I gave you?  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

tricky1138

Quote from: "shnazzle"I'd definitely remove the pistons. Don't want to damage the sleeves and get grit in between.

Are these the ones I gave you?  s:) :) s:)

Yeah they are Patrick.   s:) :) s:)  Wasn't going to name names in case you didn't want to!

And was just worried about the shot blasting damaging the part the piston sits in if it was removed!

Now looking again at the Bigg Red kit and it doesn't include a new piston!

Is a new one necessary or just best practice?

shnazzle

Haha no worries. I'm sure favours will be returned in the future  s:) :) s:)  Car Karma haha.
 I wouldn't replace it unless the sleeve was damaged or there was any evidence of wear. Don't know how much a new one is mind. For a few quid it's worth it  s:) :) s:)
I see what you mean though...hmm...there's a video of them shot blasting a caliper on the bigg red website. Did they remove the piston?
...neutiquam erro.

tricky1138

Couldn't find a video but did find the step by step guide and that removes the piston before blasting.

Have emailed them for price of pistons as they're not on the website - the mk 2 ones are £15 though.

Also asked for fully refurbished price and will add it all up and see how close it is as to which way I go.

Just a waiting game now.   s:( :( s:(

tricky1138

Digging up my old thread as it's took me this long to decide!

Well actually decided and changed mind three times!

Now getting some newly refurbished calipers, and have ordered some new hel braided hoses.

Now onto brake fluid! I know I need 5.1 but any recommendations for make and where from?

Also how much will I need?

I'm also presuming when I change my calipers and hoses that I just let all the old fluid run out then put the new stuff in and start bleeding them?

Anonymous

Don't let the reservoir run dry which will draw air into the system and make bleeding much harder.

AndyM

I may be wrong on this (I'm going to be hassling some people on this myself soon when I fit my braided lines) but one method I've read is to pipet/syphon off the bulk of fluid from the reservoir. Then refill it up with the nice new fluid and force it through the system (and each line/caliper) by bleeding it, making sure you top up the reservoir as you go. That way you avoid introducing air into the system but it takes less time to get it all flushed through.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Anonymous

Good idea. I just pumped the pedal to flush it out of the drivers side front to achieve the same effect  s:) :) s:)

Jandaw

Chatting to the lads in my local tyre depot while they changed my oil they offered to pressure change the brake fluid when I've got my new callipers etc. That way it's just a matter of cracking the bleed valve till new fluid runs through then closing.

Recommended Hel hoses and 5.1 fluid just need to decide which discs and pads now. Object of the exercise?  2 years freedom of worry at MOT time more than anything.

Fancy grooved and dimpled but not drilled discs. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Ebc are good

tricky1138

Daft question but will any 5.1 fluid be ok?

Been to a couple of local shops and all they have is Carplan, carcare or the like, no major names.

Any good?

tomaky

Ive got Motul 5.1dot off camskill.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

tricky1138

Quote from: "tomaky"Ive got Motul 5.1dot off camskill.

And is 500 ml enough?

tomaky

I was advised to get 2 of the 500ml bottles i had spare in 1 but i have had to rebleed due to claiper changes since so its good to have the 2nd bottle.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

tricky1138

Have ordered a 1 litre bottle of Toyota 5.1

Same thoughts as you - will be changing front calipers / hoses later so will need more fluid for that!

tomaky

That will do the trick  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

tricky1138

Reviving an oldish thread as I've finally got a weekend free to swap my calipers!   s:D :D s:D  

Just a quick question - should I attach the new Hel hoses to the calipers and just take the whole caliper and hose off in one go or is it recommended to connect hose to car first then the caliper?

Any other tips from the professionals?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

AndyM

Attach the line to the car first. You have to orientate it to fit the slide clip in which holds it in place (and it only goes in when in two positions 180deg apart) but then orientate the hose itself to avoid rubbing on the body/wheel.

Plus it helps to be able to spin the line to get it seated nicely in the flared nut.

I sound like an expert but actually I pretty much just watched Spit do mine 2 weeks ago.  s;) ;) s;)
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Tags: