which suspension kit?

Started by Anonymous, August 9, 2004, 18:26

Anonymous

After reading many of the posts i'm still not sure which suspension kit is the best to go for. which one is the most adjustable and includes the most parts to improve the car. i was going to get everything seperatly but if it comes as a kit the it will make life alot easier.

markiii

que Sam, who is talking with Leda about a complete kit at the moment.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I think it depends on whether you want to see your car improve gradually, or have a radical suspension tune-up from the start.

Personally, I would start with the TTE anti-roll bars (big improvement to performance without sacrificing comfort), and fit the TRD member braces (applicable to pre-2003 models) to take the extra "load".

Fitting a set of highest quality rubber (e.g. Bridgestone Pole Position S03) is a good choice.

With the above set up I was pulling 1.1 G laterally (which isn't bad at all) My '2 even reached 1.2G (when a friend skidded my car off the "Circuit du Laquais" in France last April -- not that I haven't done that before   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Looking at photos of my car on the circuit, and seeing it roll too much to my liking, I wanted to further improve the suspension of my car. But since I use this car also as a means of transport, I did not want to go for a hardcore "competition" set-up.

I heard the TRD WayDo 4-way adjustable struts are excellent. However, I did not want to combine them with springs that are so stiff the car would never be "civilised" again. So I decided to combine these adjustable struts with TRD's Sportivo spring set. They are much stiffer than the Eibach and about the same as H&R coil overs, but they are linear, come with (camber adjustment) spacers and should fit the struts nicely.

I should be receiving them by the end of the week from Japan. I will post my first impressions (after fitting them and doing a wheel alignment of course  s;) ;) s;)  )

Jap GT300

I've fitted the Tein HA Fully Adjustables to mine yesterday after running with Eibachs springs for a little while.  

I think this setup costs £1545 so its not cheap however the difference that it has made is unbelievable.  It offers complete road holding the car is so much more solid and direct when turning.  I just need to lower it a bit more now   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

BTW. I also have Cusco Member Braces, Cusco Front Strut, JIC Rear Strut and Corky Breast Plate, and I can still feel the big difference that these have made.

With the HA setup you can also use Tein's electronic controller to adjust the damping etc... from a unit inside the car!

markiii

I though the electronic adjust mechanism wouldn't fit the roadster?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"Leda

What he said!  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Jap GT300

Quote from: "markiii"I though the electronic adjust mechanism wouldn't fit the roadster?

Why not?  We'll soon find out!

markiii

according to SC there isn't sufficient clearance under the bonnet or engine deck.

aaronjb

So we'll be seeing Adam's '2 with some additional 'speed holes' (or very large dents) in the bonnet & engine lid soon, then?  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

i have the leda coilovers in my garage, they do look good but haven't found the time to put them on to comment on their performance. May never get around to it knowing me.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Keep an eye in the FS section.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Sam

As Markiii said I have been down to Leda recently to get the car measured up and all for a complete set of adjustables (ride height/damping). The kit is being built at the moment and I should be getting it fitted in about 2 weeks time so when I do I will endeavour to write it up fully.
I am hoping its going to be a good setup as rather than an off-the-shelf part (which I was a bit reluctant to go for consdering this stuff isn't cheap)I am having a kit made up as per my requirements for not much difference in price.

Re: TTE bars I might be able to comment on these soon - but have been having a right old nightmare fitting them (see Maintenance and troubleshooting) although I am getting back on track now!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

Sam

Slight drift....

Quote from: "phat"Personally, I would start with the TTE anti-roll bars (big improvement to performance without sacrificing comfort), and fit the TRD member braces (applicable to pre-2003 models) to take the extra "load".

Phat - have you got the TTE bars fitted? If so any tips on getting them on - I was having a tough job trying to fir th fronts on tightest setting.
Sam

Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Sam"Slight drift....

Quote from: "phat"Personally, I would start with the TTE anti-roll bars (big improvement to performance without sacrificing comfort), and fit the TRD member braces (applicable to pre-2003 models) to take the extra "load".

Phat - have you got the TTE bars fitted? If so any tips on getting them on - I was having a tough job trying to fir th fronts on tightest setting.

Front bars are a bit tricky to fit at first. Best thing is to remove the front luggage bin to get a better view of things. It may be possible to find alternative rods (maybe Toyota has some.) But setting the front too stiff will give you terrible understeer anyway... unless you set the rear ARBs to the stiffest position too.

I don't really trust setting the front bars on the stiffest position. The connecting rod is so short, I was scared it would snap at the first "rough" corner. It's a bit crap because the rear ones are dead easy to adjust.

What I've done since, is fit TRD Sportivo springs on the excellent TRD WayDo 4-way adjustable struts (these are made by KYB). The results are fantastic and you can set it to "soft" (actually already much stiffer than stock) for every day use and then to 2 (or 3 or 4 if you're mad!) for track day or autocrossing ...

Sam

Cool so it wasn't me making a meal of things - I thought it was a bit tricky   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I settled for medium on the front in the end - and as you say the rears were a breath of fresh air after the fronts. Looking forward to the Leda adjustables now to finish the job....    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Sam

Tags: