Clutch Going... Fix Sooner or Later?

Started by w00dhead, March 8, 2014, 18:42

w00dhead

Ok, so my clutch is slipping ...  Done the 'starting in 5th gear' test and it pulls away before it stalls... I'm also getting lots of revs and not a lot of 'oompf' when I put my foot flat to the floor in 3rd

The question is, is it ok to drive? Is there a chance it will go completely? Should I be driving it?

Wabbitkilla

I think the question really is, why would I take the risk of being stuck at the side of the road?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

s12vea

Get it done ASAP you wouldn't want to be stranded somewhere then have to pay for recovery
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

w00dhead

Sooner rather than later it is then... Trip to the garage on Monday

Alex Knight

Surely that's not a serious question?

Get it done man!

purplepowermonster

How much is the average MR2 clutch change in a garage?
2006 red Facelift, love it!

Barney Bear

I had a luk one done a while ago by local garage cost inc parts labour etc was £284.00  s:D :D s:D  
As a guide
Did my Avensis this week and it cost  £345 for some reason
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

purplepowermonster

Thanks for the info  :-) :-) :-)
2006 red Facelift, love it!

w00dhead

Quote from: "Alex Knight"Surely that's not a serious question?

Get it done man!

Well yes... I've never experienced the problem before and wasn't sure if they fade or fail completely... Also, on the basis that I've just forked out £££ for new front disks and pads and tyres there is a question of budget (or rather priorities) to consider - this is not my everyday car so I'm lucky in that respect

I'm genuinely and generally very paranoid about cars breaking down but I'm not particularly mechanically minded. I tend to read a lot of post in this section and worry about the issue happening to my car...

Barney Bear

One thing though must be the cars
04 MR2 went at 60,000
Avensis other half's car an 06 which started to show the signs at 175,000 it does a lot of miles   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  
So guess you never know when   s:D :D s:D

Mr X

I swapped mine myself last weekend and took me about 10 hours! It now drives like a dream. It would slip every now and again but only failed the slip test a week before I changed it.
When I took it off, you could see the heat marks on the flywheel. Though, it was not enough to warp it. That's the main problem with leaving it too long! It could quite easily warp it.

I was quoted 5 hours work to swap, £288. That's with me supplying the parts (I get a good discount on car parts). A different place quoted a wacking £700 inc parts!
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

w00dhead

Ok, so sent an email to Mr Clutch over the weekend and got a price this morning - £299.99 inc VAT. I called them to clarify the 'inc Vat' - "So does that mean that VAT is included in that price or do I have to add VAT...?" He babbled on for a bit and I'm still non-the-wiser...?!?!

In any event, the car is now at my local garage who have done the MOT and servicing for the past 4 yrs - £298.99 which is inclusive of VAT. I hadn't told them the price Mr C quoted so that's not them attempting to beat that price... Even if they had wanted more (within reason) I'd prob have still taken it there as they have looked after me in that past and a garage you trust is a rare thing...

redarrow

I done mine 2 years ago, i also got a new flywheel
At the same time , also got the gear box oil re filled .

Only took 5 hours all done but was a x toyota
Machanic ......

My clutch was a exedy 3 piece set ( oreganal not
Copy on ebay , as some are be carefull))

Still drives like new , love it.....

Only surgesting consider.  

New gear box oil refill
New flyweel
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

Barney Bear

New gearbox oil is what stared mine slipping   s:D :D s:D   very first thing was having to double clutch to get reverse

adscan

I am getting engine judder when pulling away in 1st. Only does it once engine is warm. No slipping from the clutch at all.
I thought it was mounts but my mechanic seems to think it is a worn flywheel.

Any way to confirm either engine mounts or flywheel??

cabbydave

Don't go to Mr Clutch they arn't new clutches just reconditioned in their own factory and you will end up being stung for flywheel skim, oil seals and anything else they can get away with. I got offered a job there once but listening to the way they work their bonus system out I couldn't bring myself to be so dishonest

w00dhead

Picked car back up today... Wow! What a difference a new clutch makes. Car feels much more solid and responsive (obviously)...

Drives better than the A Class AMG Sport I've got for a test drive. That has an irritating whinging noise coming from the left hand side...although it did stop once I'd dropped the wife off at work!

Tags: