Alex's 2ZZ Swapped MR2 Roadster

Started by Alex Knight, September 1, 2013, 08:26

Escy

'I wouldn't have said it was cheap personally. Spec wise it was pretty much standard other than some lowering springs and some (marmite) alloys. The Recaros were a nice touch but can be had for around £350 second hand. It was a pre-facelift with over 100k on the clock and an open diff. I think you did well getting 4k for it.

Alex Knight

Well I'm back and the car is back!

Many thanks to Andrew (aka: tpivette) for looking after it for me   s:D :D s:D  

Spent a few hours applying a solid coat of wax today, and it still looks great.

A few things to do though:

* Replace x4 coil pack oil seals as one has let go and created a misfire.
* I've replaced the manifold to down pipe gasket as the Topspeed one supplied with the manifold finally cried enough!
* Replace the carbon bonnet with an OEM black bonnet.
* New wheels and tyres. I've gone with the same wheels again, but brand new this time and a set of Yokohama AD08Rs all round.
* Lowered the front by an additional 12mm
* Lowered the rear by an additional 5mm
* Fit OEM front bumper badge
* Fit front lip

Think that's it.

Anonymous

Nice one Alex and welcome back.

Car is looking good, has it a new exhaust too?

Paul1087

On coils now mate?

Alex Knight

Nah, same old pony exhaust. I'll replace it with something decent when I get round to it!

Yup, on Meister-R coilovers now, and had a Mattperformance underbrace now too.

Alex Knight

Fitted new coil pack oil seals x4 today, and also fitted new lift bolts - they weren't snapped thankfully    s:D :D s:D

Have booked on for Llandow on 17th October too.

Anonymous

Alex which coils did you buy? It's something I want to get but they are eye wateringly expensive from Toyota !

Alex Knight

OEM Toyota mate. Yes, bloody expensive, but they should last a good while now, fit and forget hopefully.

Easy job though, cam cover comes off in 10 mins max.

jonty

Good to see you back in this car Alex! It looks extremely tidy, very inspiring!

Mark if you are suspecting one of your coils is dodgy I have the 1zz set going spare if you need them and if someone confirms they are the same PN. Also if you like we can go for a short spin in my car so you can listen to the noises my box makes going around corners to see how yours compared... Mine is noisier than my 5spd, but it just seems the diff bites harder on this one.

Anonymous

No I don't suspect they are faulty but the entire engine is basically new so there is the part of me that wants to change them for new too....the cost is all that is stopping me though ~£250 for the set.

That doesn't sound right, it's a different noise than mine makes from your description.

Alex Knight

Thanks jonty, kind words!

1ZZ and 2ZZ coils are not interchangeable. 2ZZ coils are longer.

jonty

For me Mark they are a digital thing, OK or not. I wouldn't think there is any benefit in replacing them now, unless you can see signs of the insulation breaking down in which case you can expect an issue some time soon.

What are the plans now Alex? Is the list of things to do exhaustive, or do you see yourself taking the project on further In the future?

Alex Knight

Just a continual and never ending process of incremental refinements and improvements Jonty.
Next plan is to fit a longer 6th gear, and also might as well replace the clutch and flywheel since the gearbox will be off, and probably a good time to replace the crank seal too.

Got these delivered and fitted the other day   s:D :D s:D 

Anonymous

Nice, 15s all round or facelift sizes?

Alex Knight

Also, one of the reasons I went for a 2ZZ swap was a good balance between power and economy.

Also, forgot to mention, had the alignment done yesterday, current (requested by me) specs are:

Front Camber: -1.5 Deg
Front Toe: 0.00mm

Rear Camber: -2.0 Deg
Rear Toe: 0.00mm

Alex Knight

15s all round chap, 205/50/R15 Rear, 195/50/R15 front.

tpivette

Brings a lump to the throat seeing the old girl, especially with the Scottish flag on the rear plate - car provenance is so important!  
Remember who gets first refusal - and get a shave dude!

Anonymous

Did you buy vietts car in the end?

Alex Knight

Aww, I'm taking good care of it Andrew, don't worry!

No way am I shaving, I'm keeping the beard for as long as I can get away with, 6 months and counting. Saves a fortune on razor blades!

tpivette

No Vietts didn't happen for one reason or another. This is on my drive from today.....

m https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater m

Alex Knight

How is the Z going Andrew? I see you've removed the 'scaffolding'?!

tpivette

tbh I'm in 2 minds, its stillen s/charged and makes 500+ and the brakes are awesome (its a bespoke brake manufacturers demo car) but its a bit lardy. and I think its going to financially ruin me. bit like the wife really.

if anyone's looking for an APR gtc300 world challenge rear wing and associated scaffolding thing, I'm your man!

Anonymous

Awesome Zed, it sounds mental.

We've got a 350z, but I think the other half wants to get a 370z nismo...I just showed her the pic of yours and her eyes lit up  s:) :) s:)

tpivette

ill post the spec list......

m http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/101188-sti ... -demo-car/ m

I just liked how it looked. 260Z owner from 20 -  I mean 30 -  years ago and they've got the look right again, it is very handsome (not feminine at all)

Anonymous

I'm so glad you removed that BGW, that was a bit mental.

Awesome spec.

Tags: