Alex's 2ZZ Swapped MR2 Roadster

Started by Alex Knight, September 1, 2013, 08:26

Alex Knight

Quote from: tricky1138 on October 14, 2022, 10:46Do you have to hoist the MR2 over the wall to get into it?  ;D

Thankfully, no. I drive it through the gates like most folk!

puma2

8) well done on the start keep the updates comeing with pictures 8)
your 2 is looking good as well :)  :)

Alex Knight

Long time no update!

The garage is finally (mostly) finished, and today I went to collect the car from hibernation at the in-laws to go into the new garage  ;D

There's still quite a lot of snow up in rural Perthshire, but I was amazed at how the AD08RS tyres actually coped getting off the drive!

It's now back home, and awaiting a good wash to get the road salt off before it's put away until spring.

puma2

:) did you mention garage now i  love garage or 2 any info on this and even better pictures.
good effort to your 2 out on the main road. hope drive home went well :)  :)

shnazzle

Thoroughly jealous of your surroundings. 
That's the kind of drive I want. One without humans anywhere near it. Damn humans. 
...neutiquam erro.

Alex Knight

Well, after a bit of careful manoeuvring (the entrance apron hasn't yet been poured!) and the aid of some scaffold planks etc, it's in!

Welcome home.

Alex Knight

Quote from: puma2 on December 31, 2022, 08:51:) did you mention garage now i  love garage or 2 any info on this and even better pictures.
good effort to your 2 out on the main road. hope drive home went well :)  :)

As do I! I was promised a garage when we moved in, and after much demolition and construction, it's finally done, and exactly to my spec. There was no need for planning permission, as it was all done under permitted development, and we went as big as we could possibly go.

Next to go in is a mid-rise scissor lift, a great deal of rafter storage/organisation, a wheeled tool box and a proper work bench.

See above for pic  :D

Alex Knight

Quote from: shnazzle on December 31, 2022, 09:23Thoroughly jealous of your surroundings.
That's the kind of drive I want. One without humans anywhere near it. Damn humans.

That's very kind!

To make things worse for you, this road is 15 minutes from our house:

shnazzle

Quote from: Alex Knight on December 31, 2022, 15:18That's very kind!

To make things worse for you, this road is 15 minutes from our house:

Where is this?? Any houses for sale? :)
We're looking to move next month 
...neutiquam erro.

Alex Knight

Quote from: shnazzle on December 31, 2022, 16:16Where is this?? Any houses for sale? :)
We're looking to move next month

Here you go:

https://www.ultimatedrives.net/top-10-roads/details.php?route_ID=80023

We made the move from Bristol to Alyth last year, and it's a different world up here. We went back to Bristol for Xmas, and I couldn't believe the congestion below the border. It literally never happens up here.
Houses are significantly cheaper too.
We bought a 4 bed farmhouse with 1/4 acre for £50K less than our 3 bed terraced in Bristol.

Gaz2405

Quote from: Alex Knight on December 31, 2022, 15:12Well, after a bit of careful manoeuvring (the entrance apron hasn't yet been poured!) and the aid of some scaffold planks etc, it's in!

Welcome home.

So much yes for this garage. 👍
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

puma2

Quote from: Gaz2405 on December 31, 2022, 18:26So much yes for this garage. 👍

ooh now that is bat cave what a pleasure to have been built to spec.
what ever stress and strain your life was going through that it was totally worth it all.
ps when can i move in :))  :)) 

threepot

Garage/workshop looks amazing. Perfect size to work on the car and have workspace etc.

Just got to stop everyone else filling it with stuff!!

I have a scissor lift and it is one of my best purchases ever, you can move them about, and they make a good workbench for big sheets, working on lawm mowers, lifting heavy things into the boot of the car, popping tyres off the bead, slightly dodgy spring compressor....

Sealing the concrete is a good move as it keeps the dust down and reduces the staining.

Alex Knight

Mid-rise scissor lift will be installed in the spring, along with floor sealing and painting, wall and ceiling insulation, and a diesel heater.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: threepot on January  2, 2023, 09:06I have a scissor lift and it is one of my best purchases ever

Which one do you have?

threepot

Mine is the Platinum Garage Equimpemt MSL3 Mid Rise Car Scissor Lift. I got it 2nd hand on ebay from a guy pretty locally for £900... if you look at them, most are fabricated in china by the same place and painted different colours. And I'm not one for great praise, but it is possibly the best used and enjoyed £900 I've spent in 20 years.

On the odd time I want to work alot underneath like welding, I lift the car up, then drop it back down with spare wheels stacked under the tyres, then lift the car back up with axle stands/chocks on the scissor lift to get the car 18" higher - e.g. big welding jobs etc.

Scissors do have their down sides = e.g. you need to chock the car higher than the lift to get the fuel tank out from an MR2 for example... but you'll figure out those quirks.

Unlike a 2 poster, that is always in the way of opening the car doors and is a thing that cannot be moved around. No lift is perfect for everything, but I love my scissor lift more thought I would as - always strange new uses for it (lifting tonne bags of garden rubbish into the back of my van etc!). And as said, it is two amazing adjustable height work benches for extended garage bench space.

Buy a scissor, work safer, quicker, happier. Saves you hours and hours over the years.