Alex's 2ZZ Swapped MR2 Roadster

Started by Alex Knight, September 1, 2013, 08:26

Alex Knight

Quote from: tricky1138 on October 14, 2022, 10:46Do you have to hoist the MR2 over the wall to get into it?  ;D

Thankfully, no. I drive it through the gates like most folk!

puma2

8) well done on the start keep the updates comeing with pictures 8)
your 2 is looking good as well :)  :)

Alex Knight

Long time no update!

The garage is finally (mostly) finished, and today I went to collect the car from hibernation at the in-laws to go into the new garage  ;D

There's still quite a lot of snow up in rural Perthshire, but I was amazed at how the AD08RS tyres actually coped getting off the drive!

It's now back home, and awaiting a good wash to get the road salt off before it's put away until spring.

puma2

:) did you mention garage now i  love garage or 2 any info on this and even better pictures.
good effort to your 2 out on the main road. hope drive home went well :)  :)

shnazzle

Thoroughly jealous of your surroundings. 
That's the kind of drive I want. One without humans anywhere near it. Damn humans. 
...neutiquam erro.

Alex Knight

Well, after a bit of careful manoeuvring (the entrance apron hasn't yet been poured!) and the aid of some scaffold planks etc, it's in!

Welcome home.

Alex Knight

Quote from: puma2 on December 31, 2022, 08:51:) did you mention garage now i  love garage or 2 any info on this and even better pictures.
good effort to your 2 out on the main road. hope drive home went well :)  :)

As do I! I was promised a garage when we moved in, and after much demolition and construction, it's finally done, and exactly to my spec. There was no need for planning permission, as it was all done under permitted development, and we went as big as we could possibly go.

Next to go in is a mid-rise scissor lift, a great deal of rafter storage/organisation, a wheeled tool box and a proper work bench.

See above for pic  :D

Alex Knight

Quote from: shnazzle on December 31, 2022, 09:23Thoroughly jealous of your surroundings.
That's the kind of drive I want. One without humans anywhere near it. Damn humans.

That's very kind!

To make things worse for you, this road is 15 minutes from our house:

shnazzle

Quote from: Alex Knight on December 31, 2022, 15:18That's very kind!

To make things worse for you, this road is 15 minutes from our house:

Where is this?? Any houses for sale? :)
We're looking to move next month 
...neutiquam erro.

Alex Knight

Quote from: shnazzle on December 31, 2022, 16:16Where is this?? Any houses for sale? :)
We're looking to move next month

Here you go:

https://www.ultimatedrives.net/top-10-roads/details.php?route_ID=80023

We made the move from Bristol to Alyth last year, and it's a different world up here. We went back to Bristol for Xmas, and I couldn't believe the congestion below the border. It literally never happens up here.
Houses are significantly cheaper too.
We bought a 4 bed farmhouse with 1/4 acre for £50K less than our 3 bed terraced in Bristol.

Gaz2405

Quote from: Alex Knight on December 31, 2022, 15:12Well, after a bit of careful manoeuvring (the entrance apron hasn't yet been poured!) and the aid of some scaffold planks etc, it's in!

Welcome home.

So much yes for this garage. 👍
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

puma2

Quote from: Gaz2405 on December 31, 2022, 18:26So much yes for this garage. 👍

ooh now that is bat cave what a pleasure to have been built to spec.
what ever stress and strain your life was going through that it was totally worth it all.
ps when can i move in :))  :)) 

Alex Knight

Mid-rise scissor lift will be installed in the spring, along with floor sealing and painting, wall and ceiling insulation, and a diesel heater.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Anon on January  2, 2023, 09:06I have a scissor lift and it is one of my best purchases ever

Which one do you have?

Alex Knight

MOT passed. No advisories. Good stuff.

puma2

:) you got to love that feeling for a whole year :)
enjoy your 2 and the outstanding home it lives in :)

plus some of the best roads and scenery you have up there.

tpivette

Alex Knight

Quote from: tpivette on April  8, 2023, 17:52Still looking good.

Thanks. Still love this car to absolute bits!

Alex Knight

Indoor cover arrived today, thanks to @H1GRM.

Alex Knight

Arrived in Gainsborough for tomorrow's trackday at Blyton park.

I haven't done over 20 miles in this car since October last year.

Just did 328 miles predominantly down the A1. Just filled up for a total of 37.13 litres. That works out at just over 40 mpg. Steady 70mph with the occasional forays into lift to overtake etc.

That's pleasingly good economy for a car of such performance.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; there are no downsides to a 2ZZ swap.

I love this car.

SuperArt

That is impressive. I no longer remember life before turbo but I never see much more than 270 miles in mine, admittedly with mixed driving and mostly W.O.T.
I guess the 2zz really is just a 1zz even in economy when not using the big rev numbers.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

KRAMSNEHPETS

good track, am there sat 27th
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

Alex Knight

Well, I'm back from Blyton Park.

Firstly, props to this phenomenal car. What a machine. I drove 330 miles down to Blyton the night before, drove (hard!) around the circuit all day, then drove 330 miles home at the end of the day, with zero issues. Honestly, how many cars are capable of that? I cannot praise this car highly enough.

The circuit is a good one, and I think it really suits the MR2. Some of the corners are front limited, and I experienced some annoying understeer round Bunga-Bunga. I did have some passenger laps in a K20 S1 Elise (epic car, so nimble - you can really feel the lack of mass) and a Mini GP3 (suprisingly fast - was actually quicker than the new FL5 Civic Type-R in a straight line) - and they both were suffering from understeer through there also.

My car, as ever, (it feels a bit boring typing the same thing every time!) was fantastic. Lovely balance generally. It was particularly awesome exiting Lancaster corner. 3rd gear, right in the power band, you could feel the rear just juuuust overspeeding and helping to retain the tiniest slip angle, whilst still retaining drive. Perfection. I took the GP3 chap out for some flying laps, and he simply couldn't believe how good the balance was - so adjustable.

I did have a small panic coming back to the pits. A polyurethane exhaust mount literally melted (yes, literally) and began dripping directly onto the exhuast. This caused a small fire (yes, really) which was put out straight away by the very efficient marshalls. I was luckily right next to an extinguisher!

I spent the lunch break removing the remnants of the hanger and cleaning up the exhaust to ensure there was no more material left stuck to it.

All in all, a really good day. Epic car this, just epic.

Chilli Girl

Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

KRAMSNEHPETS

Am there 27th May and 24th June! Was watching to see if you got into 5th gear before chichane, , like me , no!
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

Tags: