Which uprated front Shocks?

Started by gh227, March 16, 2014, 10:10

gh227

Hi,
 I am quite new on here but after some advice on front shocks.
 I do quite a lot of motorsport but not any track time, I go rallying for much more fun.
 Anyway, I have competed in 1 navigational rally since buying the car (03 facelift) but spirited driving on normal bumpy country roads had the front bottoming out on the fast compressions. We won the event by the way.
 I have just bought some Koni inserts but wondered if these were a good option as it looks like I have to cut the strut tops off and drill the bottoms to get them to fit. I do have a set of spare struts so this isn't a problem. I don't want to use lower and stiffer springs as the car will also be competing in car trials so I need the standard ground clearance.
 I was wondering if the Koni's would stop it bottoming out. Has anyone got experience of the Koni's?
 I really need to get it sorted as my next event is on Wednesday night.
 I look forward to your replies, Graham.

stupink

I've no experience on the mk3, but have been a car fan for a long time on other makes, koni is just a brand obviously, but assuming you're talking about their ajustable range you'll find that even the soft setting is quite firm, so you'll have no issues stopping it bottoming out, but you may want to verify strutt length, as i think they're often shorter than oem shocks with the perpose of being used as part of a kit.
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

gh227

Does anyone know if all the standard front struts taper in just above the spring pan? Koni told me that the inserts I have only fit the original struts but mine taper in by a few mm so they won't fit. Maybe mine are after market ones.

james_gt3rs

I've never heard of anyone rallying an MR2, any pics?

Jiff Lemon

did you get the right inserts? Not been accidently supplied with MK2 inserts?

gh227

James, car has to look standard for 12 car rallies and navigational events. Came 2nd last night but should have won it.

Tags: