Home fabricated induction kit/air filter

Started by purplepowermonster, March 21, 2014, 21:54

purplepowermonster

I would be grateful of your opinion please folks.
A while back I fitted a K&N filter to my filter box inlet and removed the panel filter but it ran really poorly with lots of coughing and spluttering so I put it back to standard, I also had feedback about the filter sucking in hot engine bay air.  Here are a couple of photos of what I did:

After that I put it back to standard and carried on researching and since have learned about mounting the filter behind the battery, resetting the ECU after fitting and using a MAF housing that is similar to the original for smooth air flow.  So my next incarnation I thought of would be to get a standard airbox and cut the tube section with the MAF housing and use standard silicone hose and mount the K&N behind the battery.

What do you think, is this a sensible mod or am I wasting my time and it will just be noisier and with a lumpy power delivery?  I'm not necessarily after a power gain (but don't want a loss) just a little extra induction noise.

Thanks for your input everyone, any comments gratefully received  :-) :-) :-)
2006 red Facelift, love it!

FGrob

Sounds like it could work, Wabbit just done a nice conversion might be worth asking him where he got the bits from he used between the throttle body and filter.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

purplepowermonster

Thanks FGrob, I had a look at Wabbit's kit, looks really good.  Where did you get the bits Wabbit?  I was thinking of using JJC R&R as they've been quite good in the past?
 m http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/rally/silicone-hose-2 m

Wabbitkilla

The Hurricane kit is from  w www.elise-shop.com w , then I added a 70mm-70mm silicone 45 degree pipe off eBay and cut it down in length to fit. Then approx 12" of 80mm ducting from eBay to the side intake.

I bought some 70-90mm stainless jubilee clips to hold it all together. It's not cheap but it works very well.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Wabbitkilla

The filter and housing are a snug but nice fit with plenty of room between it and the battery. K&N do some generic filters and housings that are pretty similar and I reckon it could be used along with a maf housing to make a pretty effective intake.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

stupink

I struggle to think anything would be an improvement on induction (due to ram-air) but if it's the noise you're after anything should work really, just give the car time to cut the ignition back a bit to account for the warmer intake temp and maybe ajust fuel trims a tad for lesser airflow.   the side-scoops have very high velocity air passing by, you wont beat this for intake location imo.
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

Anonymous

Stock also takes from behind the battery, but it is not pointing into a position where it is ram air. Also to make the most out of the side vents in terms of air being forced into the engine bay then you need side scoops.

Wabbitkilla

You miss the point, I never expected a ram air effect, to achieve that you need the high pressure at the front of the car.

My data recording shows power increase due to the larger intake capacity and big reductions in intake temperature. Intake temperature is ambient air temperature and therefore 20 degrees less than Apexi power intake temps. And 10 degrees less than standard intake minimum. Colder air is denser and therefore better for engine power.

I obviously have other mods involved but the result is very telling!

I will be refitting the e-manage ultimate for mapping eventually to make the best of it.

steeleyscoot

Most like me would fit an Induction kit for the sound - what does the Hurricane kit sound like in use then...?

FGrob

Quote from: "stupink"I struggle to think anything would be an improvement on induction (due to ram-air) but if it's the noise you're after anything should work really, just give the car time to cut the ignition back a bit to account for the warmer intake temp and maybe ajust fuel trims a tad for lesser airflow.   the side-scoops have very high velocity air passing by, you wont beat this for intake location imo.
It's not about noise it's about intake temperatures, the only place you get this benefit from is in front of the battery as all the heat generation is behind it. I've been throught the whole exercise and for sure you do have a big benefit on a hot day, Nic will also agree as he's stated above.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "steeleyscoot"Most like me would fit an Induction kit for the sound - what does the Hurricane kit sound like in use then...?

Erm yes, it is pretty loud, at high rpm I can actually hear the intake valves operating through the intake... It's a bit mad Tbh.

stupink

My post was a general post, not aimed at anyone particular, sorry if it seemed that way.
I have not got the stock setup in mine, so assumed it was enclosed onto the side scoop.. Assumption, the mother of all.....  
it appears it is not. therefore there is your best "upgrade" option for N/A imo, you'd get ram effect up front, but you'll also get it along the sides, high velocity air, high density air, all the air being forced around the car will get compressed and flow around the outer edges of the car at a fast velocity, at 50mph the airs probably more like 70mph.
get the oem box airtight up against the inlet, and maybe add a tiny "catch" lip to the inlet and bam..  pressurised intake system (dont go installing a boost guage lol)  s:) :) s:)
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

1ZZ-FE

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"The Hurricane kit is from  m http://www.elise-shop.com m , then I added a 70mm-70mm silicone 45 degree pipe off eBay and cut it down in length to fit. Then approx 12" of 80mm ducting from eBay to the side intake.

I bought some 70-90mm stainless jubilee clips to hold it all together. It's not cheap but it works very well.

Have you any pics of this set up at all please? The chip on my credit card is branding my leg!

Regards,
Jim
Toyota Hall of Fame = 1990 H - MR2 MK2 16v ]

dan944

I used a Bmc intake and re routed the standard intake through the rear quarter straight to the side vent. With my obd app I'm getting around 15 degree intake temps at 50mph with about 10degree ambient temp. Sounds nice and can hear it sucking in the world even with the roof up. Very long route though so I'm considering behind the battery but having a funnel feed from the side vent. Each to their own though.

Ps I do have a pic in my "garage" if that made no sense.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "1ZZ-FE"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"The Hurricane kit is from  m http://www.elise-shop.com m , then I added a 70mm-70mm silicone 45 degree pipe off eBay and cut it down in length to fit. Then approx 12" of 80mm ducting from eBay to the side intake.

Have you any pics of this set up at all please? The chip on my credit card is branding my leg!

Regards,
Jim

Here you go

dan944

That's a nice setup. Have you relocated your battery or is it just out for the pic? Do you know what kind of intake temps you are getting?

Wabbitkilla

Battery was just out of the way during fitting.

1ZZ-FE

A picture paints a 1000 words!!! I now understand  why a 45 degree bend had to be used and where to cut!

Just to clarify, the 45 degree hose: it's 70mm at both ends? Is this internal or external diameter? Damn my engineering intrigue!!!

Regards,
Jim

Wabbitkilla

70mm internal diameter.

These are the additional bits;
Silicone hose
Induction hose
Jubilee clips

The maf mount isn't perfect for fitting the maf into it but it does seal with a bit of care.

1ZZ-FE

You sir, are awesome! Why couldn't today be payday!?

purplepowermonster

Well, finally got all of the bits together and made this:

It comprises of:

1. Standard airbox cut down to hold the MAF
2. 45 degree 70mm silicone hose
3. K&N filter (second hand ebay)
4. 70-90mm jubilee clips

I think the whole lot came to about £40.  It took about an hour to cut down the airbox and another hour to fit it all in the car.

Fits really neatly behind the battery

And is snug with the battery in

Blimey, it certainly roars when you open the taps.

Thanks for all of you help everyone, I really appreciate it   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

dan944

Looks great and that cold feed should be much better. Your just spurred me on to do mine as I already have the parts  s:) :) s:)

purplepowermonster

Quote from: "dan944"Looks great and that cold feed should be much better. Your just spurred me on to do mine as I already have the parts  s:) :) s:)
Nice one, good luck with it.
Well worth the effort but I think your fuel consumption will go up as wide throttle openings are addictive.... Ha ha.....

dan944

Haha. I doubt my fuel consumption could go up anymore. I already have a BMW CDa, de cat down pipe and box less exhaust. It's pretty lary as it is :s lol

nickthedinosaur

Is there a universal maf sensor housing available or is it worth just getting a spare air box and reducing it down to just the sensor housing?
MR2 Roadster in Red, AC + Hardtop (when a cheap enough fitting kit comes along).

Tags: