Home fabricated induction kit/air filter

Started by purplepowermonster, March 21, 2014, 21:54

dan944

Mwr sell an alloy one for about $35. Check it out I have one and it's a decent fit
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Jaanus K

MWR flange has to be welded on tube. The tube diameter is very important so the maf could read correct airflow.

I made exactly the same thing   s:D :D s:D  
Quote from: "purplepowermonster"Well, finally got all of the bits together and made this:

dan944

I used araldite to attach it but I reckon any good sealant would do (free to corrections) just made sure I used plenty to give it a nice air tight seal. I'm pretty sure the maf sits in the right position but again can't be 100%

This setup will be changed soon to give a direct feed from the side vent  s:) :) s:)
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

parker455

How does it work purple? Well? I, Like you, tried the first method.. failed miserably, run proper lumpy constantly!

purplepowermonster

Quote from: "parker455"How does it work purple? Well? I, Like you, tried the first method.. failed miserably, run proper lumpy constantly!

Hi Tom,

I must say it works perfectly, no flat spots or hesitation.  Like I wrote at the start of the thread, my last attempt was really rough running but I now put that down to not resetting the ECU after fitting it.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
2006 red Facelift, love it!

parker455

Will go for it  s:) :) s:)  

How much did it put up the insurance by the way?

mwyse005

Hi purple. Does the MAF sensor wire reach the new position without any modification?

purplepowermonster

Quote from: "mwyse005"Hi purple. Does the MAF sensor wire reach the new position without any modification?
Sure does  :-) :-) :-)

peteyb

which K&N filter is it? universal as long as its got a 70mm internal hose fitting?? does it need to be a decent size? is bigger better so to speak lol

purplepowermonster

Quote from: "peteyb"which K&N filter is it? universal as long as its got a 70mm internal hose fitting?? does it need to be a decent size? is bigger better so to speak lol
I'll check it out when I get home and post the model number.

peteyb

Cheers dude  s:) :) s:)

purplepowermonster

Hi there,

It's a K&N RC3250, here's a post of my first (unsuccessful) attempt:

l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47039 l .

I agree with your comment, you can use a universal filter, not sure it needs to be too big, but there is plenty of room behind the battery anyway.

peteyb

Why thank u kind sir  s:) :) s:)  another to add to my list of things to do, loving my 2 tho, got drilled and groove discs, pads, induction kit, alloys,tyres, steering u/j, full service, gonna be a busy few weekends for me! Then bodykit, then wrapping it  s:) :) s:)

purplepowermonster

Wow, that'll be awesome when it's done.  I got mine as a bit of a 'wheeler dealer' car so had to do quite a few jobs to get it up together.  New wing, headlight, wiper motor, wiper switch, tyres, wheel refinishing, then I could get onto the fun stuff like UD sub (well recommended), new HU, Alpine amp in cubby, lowering springs, induction kit, TRD exhaust and now I just love driving it.  Passed the MOT last week without even a comment   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  
What sort of money did you pay for the disks and pads?

peteyb

Got them from mtec, the disc where 140something, drilled and groove, and coated black  s:) :) s:)  got on there site and it explains the coating, had them before in my corsa and my god it could stop lol and my corsa was 151bhp 1.8sri, 0-60 in 7seconds  s:D :D s:D  was abit of a beasty, nobody expected it, just looked like a corsa C shape lol

Grubber

Well as it's raining and I can't drive the 2 I've ended up on eBay buying all the bits to do this for the bargain price of £26.48 delivered!

Just one question, is the k&n filter cleaner a must as it's obviously second hand for that price or would carb cleaner do the job or do I not need clean it at all before fitting?

Thanks

purplepowermonster

I would say carb cleaner would be fine but i have no experience to rely on.....

parker455

Carb cleaner works well, did a good job on mine!

Grubber

Fab, carb cleaner it is then.. Thanks

dkirkwood89

Quote from: "purplepowermonster"It comprises of:

1. Standard airbox cut down to hold the MAF
2. 45 degree 70mm silicone hose
3. K&N filter (second hand ebay)
4. 70-90mm jubilee clips

I think the whole lot came to about £40.  It took about an hour to cut down the airbox and another hour to fit it all in the car. s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Purple, sorry but a bit of an amateur, but thinking of doing your behind the battery job. did all you do was getting get the 4 things above fit them together then put onto the car? Or did you do something with the ecu?
2004 Red Edition, Hard Top, TRD Short Shifter, CBS CDA Induction Kit

Gazbills

Great write up!
Already bought the maf housing from elise parts so time to get the K&N and silicone pipe on order!
2ZZ-GE converted 03, black, TRD bodykit + scoops, hardtop, Meister R coilovers,  TTE exhaust with sports cat, Apexi PFC + TTE style bar & Rota Subzero 16\'s

purplepowermonster

Hi there,  sorry for the delay, fitting is as easy as you describe then reset the ECU by leaving the battery disconnected for a bit an then reconnect it and go for a spin (and enjoy the noise [WHITE SMILING FACE])

dkirkwood89

Brilliant  :-) :-) :-)  cheers

I ended up going with the bmc version, ordered it this mornin.  Got a maf adapter from spectre performance of eBay.

Just need to play the waiting game now
2004 Red Edition, Hard Top, TRD Short Shifter, CBS CDA Induction Kit

Gazbills

Quote from: "purplepowermonster"Hi there,  sorry for the delay, fitting is as easy as you describe then reset the ECU by leaving the battery disconnected for a bit an then reconnect it and go for a spin (and enjoy the noise [WHITE SMILING FACE])
Any particular reason why the ecu needs resetting?

Gaz
2ZZ-GE converted 03, black, TRD bodykit + scoops, hardtop, Meister R coilovers,  TTE exhaust with sports cat, Apexi PFC + TTE style bar & Rota Subzero 16\'s

purplepowermonster

Not really, but I did a mod by removing the air cleaner from the air box and fitting the K&N on the inlet and it ran terribly so I put it all back together as standard.  Then I read somewhere that I should have reset the ECU so I did when I did the behind the battery version I reset the ECU and it ran sweet.  Better to be safe than sorry was my thinking....

Tags: