More noise, less power

Started by Fin, March 23, 2014, 12:40

vincenzo

Hi wizzard, does your exhaust sound louder than normal like fin's car?

Are your pre cats removed?

Fin

Glad to hear you seem to have found the cause.
I'll be doing mine this morning,I'll post to confirm result. I just wish I'd listened to my gut instonct when this first happened, instead of chasing my tail because of 'experts' at exhaust shops!
It would have saved me a heap of cash, and alot of hassle for alot of people trying to help me think what else it could be.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Anonymous

I think you might find that I did tell you to unbolt the main cat at the top of the page. As what can happen is pre cat matterial comes away and travels down the exhaust to the main cat where it gets stuck. This restricts flow to the point the engine is not able to clear all of the exhaust gasses so the next bang of the piston is not so strong and so on. This not so perfect bang is less power and no revs, plus it has been seen before.

Fin

I thought you were qiite probably right at the time, my own initial thought was a blocked exhaust causing excess back pressure.
That's why it's so annoying that I asked 3 'experts' to check it for me, and the idiots all said it was fine. I am assuming it is partially blocked, enough to allow some gases through, but not for the engine to breathe properly. The 'experts' saw gas flow, and thought that was it. Now I've spent a month chasing my tail, wasted a couple hundred quid on sensors (most of what I spent needed done anyway), when I could have just chucked a new cat on there, and have enjoyed driving like I usually do.
Ooooh, I could crush a grape!!!

Fin

Right, latest (and last) update on this one!
New cat fitted this morning, and a quick test drive with a great big smile on my face  s:) :) s:)
It's been so long since this started, that I'd forgotten how much fun driving is supposed to be! She's still not quite 100%, but the ecu reset won't be complete yet.
My thanks to all of you for hints and tips. And to the idiots at the exhaust centres.... well I'd best not write that here, ladies read these comments as well  s;) ;) s;)

Ardent

pleased for you. Now go an enjoy.

vincenzo

Wow, glad you fixed it, sorry for adding to the confusion.

Fin

No problems. Everybody on here was trying to help, when the 'experts' got it wrong  s:) :) s:)
Just goes to show.... An enthusiastic amateur beats an incompetent professional alot of the time!
As a side point, I have seen peple question the longevity of the fuel filter on here occassionally. Like I said to the chap at MrT: if it's a 'lifetime filter', why do you sell replacements?

Tags: