Catalytic Convertor - bites the dust !!! 61,160 Miles (doh!)

Started by darrenjuggins, August 16, 2004, 12:56

darrenjuggins

Hi Mate,

When you say import - you mean Japanese Import or European Import, as mines from Motorpoint (ie. Belgium, garage).

Well to update everyone, well they have now eventually opened her up to see what wrong....

(mini update - Assessor went Monday last week, reported NO POWERLOSS!, which was contry to our test drive on the saturday morning...... the garage didn't agree with this so didn't carry any work out, took the car out again on the wed for a comparison drive with the demo car, couldn't get 65MPH out of mine !!!! new assessor called for !!! - he arrived friday afternoon - they started work, now with a CAT change authorised to find that when it's been opened up - guess what the pre-cat or the little cat in the top has fell completely through into the main cat!!! nice!)

So - situation - driving mothers car (thanks mum) more parts on order!!!! Car SHOULD be ready for Tuesday !

seems Toyota have a serious problem with build quality on the Cat section of the engine - up until now it's been bullet proof - just really glad I had the extended warranty, else it would have been very costly!

Am really disappointed with the original assessor, bet he didn't even warm the car up to make his assessment!! (poor!)

so anyway - i'll update thread come tomorrow afternoon, hopefully.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "japimportMR2"Heard this problem is most common with imported MR2's

Dont know where you heard that, but you need to change your sources  s:? :? s:?

Aren't they all imported in the end?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

they're all made in the same factory in japan so they must be   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

darrenjuggins

Topic Drift   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

OK - update - car should be back with me this afternoon - all parts have arrived !

Fitting is commencing shortly....

I'll be interested to know exactly how much all the parts / labour have cost !

Simon_C seems to have exactly the same issue as me.... oh dear - thin end of the wedge me thicks for 2000 Roadsters !!!

Cheers

D
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

This was the main reason I started to loose confidence in my MR2. It was 3 years old and at 60K Km's. I had never had problems, but I didnt wat to take the risk.

Our new Prius will be here next month.

darrenjuggins

A Bugger isn't it.....

Cool purchase the primus - not exactly my styling taste, but the technology is certainly the way things will go, so nice one victor.

I intend to keep this (MR2) and then just get something else as well....

Once this is done it should be good for another 60 at least, but it is frustrating that an external part such as this has an inherent design flaw which is a time bomb waiting to happen !!!

Toyota - must do better !

D
Darren A. Juggins

SimonC_Here

Bet you they replace the manifold and the main cat. ONLY

Just remember to keep checking your oil on a weekly basis. Or more frequently.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Simon

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Well it's back - just picked it up - Manifold Replaced and also Cat...... (Manifold the pre-cats?)

anyway - it seems to be running great, powers back and it's flying again (apart from the rain keeping me stready)

Yeah the oil thing does worry me, but I'll be crecking it religiously now, they say keep a long and if its using any, then note it all down and then they will pick the problem up....

Felt good signing the chitty and putting amount paid - £0 ! think it's cost toyota a pretty penny, certainly over a £1,000 if not more !!!

oh well - there problem, not mine, i just want my car to work !!!

Your sorted them Simon ?
Darren A. Juggins

markiii

cost to teh dealer for tyhe manifold and precats is circa £310
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Your sorted them Simon ?

Nope, not sure if they have the engine out yet, will call them tomorrow.
They replaced the main cat and manifold last time it was in, about 7 weeks ago. Wonder if they will do it again this time or will I be writing another, "they've gone again" post in a few weeks.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Simon

Anonymous

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"I intend to keep this (MR2) and then just get something else as well....

Glad to hear your cat problems are sorted now mate !

So what you thinking of purchasing, in addition to the MR2 & would you then consider using the MR2 on track days, if it was your 2nd car, with a set of slicks ?

s:) :) s:)

darrenjuggins

oh Heck......

Can of worms - As I'm on My own (all say ahh!) i won't be getting a second car just yet - my salary isn't in the Craig arena....

I'm not really shaw what i'd get next - like the RX8 - style, innovation and practicality in a good package..... is very tempting - although - I'd have to speak to the bank manager nicely   s:D :D s:D  

I'm still really happy with the 2, for everyday transport, just had a run to nottingham then, decided to go to sheffield before coming back home, really nice to have it back - responsive, quiet and fun... I've missed her   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

As for any problems associated with the engine, certainly didn't find any, but will be keep a close eye on the oil for sign's of consumption.....

oh and yes - when / if I get a second car - i'd love to use the MR2 for weekends and track days, just need to up that income a little so it dosent hurt so much on the pocket   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Cheers

D
Darren A. Juggins

SimonC_Here

Just an update on my car.

Toyota extended warrenty have REFUSED to cover my engine repair.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

They have said that because it is a problem on the ...Avensis?/Corrolla?.. that Toyota Mfg should pay.

So now I wait to see if they will pay up. And still no car. No hire car, no chance of getting one out of extended warrenty, well not yet anyway.

Think I will call Toyota customer services to see what I can get.

Not a good end to the week.

Simon

Anonymous

Simon:

That's apalling.  Hope you get a decent response from Cust Service.  Whether they chose to admit it or not, it's a known problem.   A mate who works for another Japanese car manufacturer told me recently, "It's a problem for a few manufacturers at the moment..."  Might be worth digging into?

Andy

darrenjuggins

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear your problems still haven't been rectified, I notice your last post is today, so i guess it's pointless asking for an update ?

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Once this is done it should be good for another 60 at least, but it is frustrating that an external part such as this has an inherent design flaw which is a time bomb waiting to happen !!!

Toyota - must do better !
D

I agree. The other models in their line-up are totally trouble free (we keep national breakdown statistics where I work and they confirm it).

The pre-cat failure has really seriously damaged the confidence I had in the reputation of Toyota. I feel like talking directly to the product/programme manager responsible for the MR2 and letting him know what I and many thousands of other owners feel about the situation...

darrenjuggins

Hi All,

Just an update - New Manifold / Pre cats / Cat fitted now.....

excellent.....

but.....

still have serious oil consumption..... oh dear......

Mr T is awaiting authorisation to operate on my little baby !!!!

Simon, how about filling us in on whats happend now with you..

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

SimonC_Here

Just a quick run through then.

Took the car in to be checked over for the oil loss, after I had convinced them it was loosing oil... They checked everything visually and emmisions but found nothing wrong. Got them to check it properly.

Dropped the engine out and stripped it down. Still didn't know if I was going to have to pay for it or not. They warned me I would have to pay up for the strip down if it was found that the damage was caused by me.
Took an age for the engineers to come out and measure stuff then go back and measure the correct stuff!
Weeks passed and I still heard nothing. Eventually the extended warrenty refused to cover the repairs saying it should be covered by Toyota UK.

Finally got the OK and MrT got the parts and put my car back together.
Got it back last wednesday, been doing <3000 rpm ever since.

Only problems I can see with it are a missing stud from the under tray which means I have another rattle.
Missing dust cap on the passengers side locking wheel nut.
Crease in driver side wheel arch where it looks like it was jacked up on the bodywork.

Simon

aaronjb

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Crease in driver side wheel arch where it looks like it was jacked up on the bodywork.

Probably not what you want to be doing but.. I hope you're screaming blue murder at MrT for that one? Can be costly to fix, too.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   (it's my pet-hate after a tyre shop did the same thing to my first 300ZX on a 2-post lift)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

It pis$es me off big time to see mechanics do sloppy work on my car, especially when I always take great care!

Tem

Quote from: "phat"It pis$es me off big time to see mechanics do sloppy work on my car, especially when I always take great care!

Yeah, especially as they should be the professionals  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

SimonC_Here

'Course the trick is to find some evidence that it wasn't there before they took it in. Anyone got a close up, recent, pick of my car?!!

They suggested that it might have been done when I had new tires fitted.
All that time a go with lots of washes and waxes and I didn't notice it. Could have happened....  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Simon

Anonymous

Its very interesting to read all of this as I was in a Jap breakers yard last week buying a few bits for my 2. The owner was chatting away and asked when I was comming back for a new engine, he goe's on say that the engine is flawed and will not last and its not just Mr2 either its Avensis as well. Questions does Avensis, Celica, Yaris and anything else with our engine have pre cats close up to the block, does anyone have high milage say over 80K with an original engine and does anyone have high milage without pre cats? By the way the going rate for a non oil burning bare 2 engine is £1000 and going up due to short supply.    s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

I think he's exagerating slightly...

Our independent technical testing centres keep statistics on just about every type of car. If Toyota isn't the most reliable make on the market, they are at least in the top 3. The only known issues with the ZZ engine familly are with the 189bhp 2ZZ-GE (Celica TS model) and the (lesser known issue) with the pre-cats on the MR2/MR-S.

You should check stats for some other manufacturers (like Opel/Vauxhall, Renault, Fiat and VW) it makes you wonder what *doesn't* go wrong with their cars   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

No doubt Toyota is a reliable car and you only hear the bad never the good but we seem to be hearing quite a bit of bad here, by the way what goes with the Celica engine?

Tags: