manifold mod = rattle?

Started by whiteknight72, April 19, 2014, 21:56

whiteknight72

Fitted a new straight through manifold to decat and add a bit more rumble from the TTE exhaust. Ever since fitted I have a metallic rattle at 2500rpm. I've traced it to the centre of the car where the Silencer and cat are. Not yet investigated further as plastic tray needs removing, however I'm hoping the extra pressure hasn't damaged the cat which is causing the rattle? It seems to get more noticeable the hotter it gets. Anyone any thoughts?
2006 MR2, MR02 plates,TTE twin exhaust, TTE style bar, TTE rear spoiler, decat/performance manifold, K&N filter, performance spark plugs/leads, high performance gearbox oil, fresh power steering fluid, Goodrich braided hoses, refurbished callipers/red, refurbished wheels/white, TRD valve caps, unique rare wood gear knob with TRD insert, EBC front drilled/grooved discs. Full underseal.MeisterR suspension all-round.

Jay67

Heat sheilds loose? Always a favourite when there's a rattle in that area.
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

AndyM

+1 (common when the noise is at specific revs)
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Davred

+1 on the cat heat shields. Stuffed mine with brillo pads (wire wool), problem solved  s:D :D s:D
W. Red. Black leather. Facelift wheels.Toyo T1R. Pre-cats removed. Matts TTE style chassis brace. 2003 facelift front brace, FK lowering springs, Dev keyhole covers, tte rear grille. Tanabe G-Power Medalion exhaust, JSpec nose badge, mongo's, front strut brace. Matt perf engine rebuild May 2014.

Theburns1

+1 more. Mine rattles, need to sort it

whiteknight72

Not on my own then, that's good to know. Will get it on the ramps over this bank holiday and have a fiddle.
Cheers
2006 MR2, MR02 plates,TTE twin exhaust, TTE style bar, TTE rear spoiler, decat/performance manifold, K&N filter, performance spark plugs/leads, high performance gearbox oil, fresh power steering fluid, Goodrich braided hoses, refurbished callipers/red, refurbished wheels/white, TRD valve caps, unique rare wood gear knob with TRD insert, EBC front drilled/grooved discs. Full underseal.MeisterR suspension all-round.

origgs

One of the rusty bolts on my cat heat shield had come out when I got a rattle. Got a bolt and two nuts and made it fit and the rattle stopped.
I did try a jubilee clip as others have done but it didnt work for long.

whiteknight72

Wire wool was the fix for me, bought 1lb  of the stuff and wedged half of it between the cat and the shield, probably overkill but so far no rattle. Out for a run this afternoon so let's hope it stays that way.
Once again excellent advice gentlemen. Thanks.

whiteknight72

Forget that, only partial fix. Will have to see about getting more wool on the job.

Tags: