Have I blown my car up?

Started by Carplay, April 21, 2014, 17:59

Carplay

As I said in other posts, bought my car and it hasn't been in use for 18months just sat outside, iv been working on it all week, just took it out and give it a blast up the road and back, just as I was rolling into my road it started rattling, thought it was my arch as it's not clipped up properly, then it cut out, I can restart it but it runs lumpy and smoke coming from just under the dip stick and the car stunk, the engine hasn't lost water from what I can see and I can't see water on the dipstick

Carplay

s:( :( s:(

Carplay

Lots of smoke coming from the exhaust, ps forgot to say please

simers

Sounds like big end failure to me mate.. Similar happened mine.. Others may have different synopsis tho
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

Carplay

Doesn't sound like a knocking mate

Carplay

Did a hard corner with next to no fuel don't know if that makes any difference just trying to give all the facts to help get the most help out

stupink

Sounds a wierd one, I think you'll need to be there to diagnose though..

First step visual inspection all over the engine block for leaks/cracks/bits missing etc.   then I would start a bit deeper with cylinder leak downs etc..
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

Carplay

What is on the fan belt side of the engine that could bellow smoke?

Treboeth

Get a video up, may help someone  diagnose the problem.

mrzwei

What colour is the smoke?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Joesson

Are you sure that the smoke is smoke or is it steam?
Remember the water pump is around the position you are seeing the smoke coming from!

Mr X

Quote from: "Carplay"What is on the fan belt side of the engine that could bellow smoke?
top, bottom or middle? smoke or steam? unless your head gasket is gone, I can't think of anything that would push out smoke from the chain cover.... unless your water pump seal has gone and it's pushing out coolant and that's then evaporating on a hot block??
put up some pictures.... I wouldn't run it that much if I didn't have too until you know what's wrong.
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Carplay

All I have now is lumpy engine that takes a good few cranks to start and loads of blue smoke

Carplay

When it went it sounded like cardboard in a push bike wheel, then smelt funny and conked out. It would restart but smelt very hot even tho gauge says normal and lumpy idle and the smoke starts when you rev it up

Joesson

Is the alternator/ water pump drive belt still in one piece?

mrzwei

Quote from: "Carplay"All I have now is lumpy engine that takes a good few cranks to start and loads of blue smoke

Blue smoke is generally oil burning (white is steam / water and black is fuel).

Can you be a bit more specific about the rattle the engine was making?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

Mr X

Quote from: "Carplay"When it went it sounded like cardboard in a push bike wheel, then smelt funny and conked out. It would restart but smelt very hot even though gauge says normal and lumpy idle and the smoke starts when you rev it up

Blue smoke = burning oil.
That would either be coming from knackered valve seals or knackered rings/bores. You wont know for sure without taking the head off but I'm guessing the latter. lumpy idle could point to poor compression also pointing to the latter.  "cardboard in a push bike wheel" would guess oil starvation on the crank or cams...
Just thinking...
If oil doesn't get to the big ends it could burn out the bearing shells and knock.  When it knocks the piston can wobble left/right and mark the bores causing oil to burn. I'm afraid you wont know the damage until you strip it out   s:( :( s:(
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Carplay

I am very f ed off I spent days and days getting it ready for mot, but thanks for the tips guys, I ain't stripping it down it can go in the skip I will find another engine, if I don't loose my temper and do something to it, cheers again lads  s:) :) s:)

Mr X

Quote from: "Carplay"I am very f ed off I spent days and days getting it ready for mot, but thanks for the tips guys, I ain't stripping it down it can go in the skip I will find another engine, if I don't loose my temper and do something to it, cheers again lads
Sorry it sounds like bad news... If you do take the head off and that's ok, it's worth about £250 as a second hander. would be some towards a new engine. I actually just wrote a post on rebuilding my 1zz engine a few days ago.
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49521

It's such a B!$£H when they go wrong but once they're running again, the roof is down and the engine is roaring, it always puts a smile back on my face and it seems worth it again!

Carplay

Thanks for the advice. It's just a pain in the arse when your not a mechanic or confident to just get on with it, do those corolla t engines go straight in or is it much hassle ?

Jandaw

Quote from: "Joesson"Is the alternator/ water pump drive belt still in one piece?

Any answer Carplay?

+ What's the oil situation. Any there?

Carplay

Well the belt is still going round

Carplay

The smoke might not have been blue ??? I am colour blind, without sounding like a thicko

mrzwei

Carplay, this post is going nowhere unless you can be more specific  about answering some of the questions posed.

What exactly do you know about the history of the car before it was laid up 18 months ago?
Why was it laid up?
Was it driving well before this latest incident?
What exactly have you done to the car?
Be more specific about the rattling noise or post a video.
Be more specific about the colour of the smoke (post a video or get somebody else to give an opinion about the colour).
You say the smoke is coming from the exhaust and also from the front of the engine, exactly where from the engine (as asked, top, middle or bottom)? Top of the dipstick?
Is it using oil?
Is the engine management light on?

If you can, give one comprehensive account rather than just posing a series of random scenarios.
All problems can be resolved.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

Carplay

Thanks for reply guys, an update due to my telling off  s;) ;) s;)

Ok how can I get a video from my iphone to here? The car was laid up for 18 months, taken off the road by previous owner as can not afford to run it, I have no service history although the car does appear to have been kept in good order.

I drive the car home for 20 miles and have done a few laps round the block on odd times, it drove and sounded sweet as a nut.

The car will not start unless I give it some throttle, as soon as I come of the throttle it cuts out,

The higher the revs 2k rpm the smoother the engine sounds but you can hear a noise which I can only describe as like a loose baffle in an exhaust silencer.

The smoke is coming from around the middle pulley on the belt side of the engine, this smoke is not as polluted as the exhaust smoke which is thick bluey white smoke.

Yesterday I was thrustrated so appologise for rubbish information, if anyone can help me with this one I would be most appreciated.

Tags: