Question about Air intake mod

Started by wotugonado, April 27, 2014, 15:12

wotugonado

Ive wondered for a long time why the air intake on the mr2 just stops in the engine bay  s:? :? s:?   and in an effort to help with keeping cold air flowing into the turbo,
i made this

I fitted it with a 90 degree return that fits perfectly in here

and looks like this

Then bent the pipe and pinched the end to allow it to fit through here

After a quick blast it seemed to help with the air and as an added bonus made the demented squirrel noise louder  s:?: :?: s:?:  
Just want to know why this has happened   s:?: :?: s:?:   and make sure that the flow wont be anything detrimental to the engine/turbo.
If its not a problem why was it never done from the factory.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

SteveJ

At a guess it's to avoid ingesting any water that gets splashed up in the vents when running through puddles

wotugonado

I did wonder about that, perhaps some mesh or something on the front ? Any ideas as to why the turbo noise is louder ?

SteveJ

Quote from: "wotugonado"I did wonder about that, perhaps some mesh or something on the front ? Any ideas as to why the turbo noise is louder ?

How is mesh going to stop water being sucked in?   s:? :? s:?  

The noise seems louder because you've bought the noise close to the outside of the car.

wotugonado

"Mesh or something" im open to ideas.

Wabbitkilla

The Hurricane intake has a small hole in the bottom of the filter enclosure for drainage. The AEM intake can be fitted with a section that prevents water ingestion.

It might seem counter productive but a small strategic drain hole could help.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

wotugonado

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"The Hurricane intake has a small hole in the bottom of the filter enclosure for drainage. The AEM intake can be fitted with a section that prevents water ingestion.

It might seem counter productive but a small strategic drain hole could help.

Thanks, where is the best place for this do you think and what size hole are we talking about?

Tags: