2ZZ intermitently bogging down at 2.5-3k

Started by dcod, May 7, 2014, 18:06

dcod

Hi,

In the last 4 days, twice my 2zz has bogged down upon accelerating at 2.5k-3k. This last for about 5 minutes then everything is back to  normal.

It first happened when I had just 1/4 tank of fuel and so put it down to debris possibly blocking the fuel line. It's just happened again with a full tank.

My sports cat is no longer dealing with emissions and I need another.

Any ideas? Dodgy MAF? Blocking air intake? Cat blocking exhaust? Other?

Thanks,

Dave
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Anonymous

I have no idea but if you suspect fuel, add the in tank fuel filter to the list.

Have you checked obd codes?

dcod

No codes except the usual p420 (cat efficiency) that I have had for over a year. I'm wondering if the sport cat is breaking up, moving and occasionally blocking the exhaust flow.

Tank filter? Not sure what could be done about that.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Anonymous

The cat collapsing may cause the issue.

There is a how to on here about changing the filter

dcod

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"The cat collapsing may cause the issue.

There is a how to on here about changing the filter

Thanks, I'll have a look for that.

dcod

Just had a revelation. Now that this has happened 3 times, I have noticed it happens just as the car has come up to temperature.

Could it be a temperature sensor? When getting to operating temp, the car starts using all sensors to map fuelling, temp sensor is wrong so fuelling is all over the place and so ecu defaults to last map?

dcod

I believe the temp gauge (which works fine) works off the temp sensor therefore I believe this points to the MAF going kaput.

Fin

If you think it may be the cat causing the problem, have a read through my post about more noise, less power. See if any of the symptoms match up. I spent a month chasing down other possible causes, then changed the cat, and voila!
A blocked cat won't throw an error code because it's mechanical. Can you borrow a cat?
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

dcod

The cat needs replacing anyway but I don't think that is the problem. The bogging down occurs exactly at the transition between warming up and running at operating temperature (as far as I can tell). I'll take a peek at your post, anyway though.

Anonymous

It is worth having the cat changed first, as it needs doing anyway.

Jandaw

Mine recently threw a code that was temperature related. Cleaned the MAF and voila, all ok.

Best thing,  a free cure!

Try it before spending money?

dcod

Quote from: "Jandaw"Mine recently threw a code that was temperature related. Cleaned the MAF and voila, all ok.

Best thing,  a free cure!

Try it before spending money?

Will certainly clean the MAF before spending any money   s:D :D s:D

dcod

Car is now running as rough as a a*se. All through the rev range including idle. Checked the codes and (unsurprisingly) there is a pending p0302 (Cylinder 2 misfire).

dcod

Looks to have used some coolant. Possibly burnt more oil. Cylinder head gasket?   s:( :( s:(

parker455

Sounds like a head gasket if it's used some coolant and there's a misfire.

dcod

Quote from: "parker455"Sounds like a head gasket if it's used some coolant and there's a misfire.

And a it more oil than normal. Coolant looks the right colour and no gunk around the oil filler cap.

Need to look at the plugs but don't have a 16mm spark plug tool. Can't get the bloody bars off to get to cylinders 1 and 2 either   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

dcod

Well I think I've solved the problem. I think the coolant drop was coincidence.

This was the far left plug next to one of the others (which is cylinder 2 by firing order 1342). A mechanic friend believes I have a dodgy coil pack and I should also get 3 or 4 point spark plugs. I'll have a look at second hand coil packs on ebay.

Tags: