£200 spent....STILL ticking!!!!

Started by 1ZZ-FE, May 9, 2014, 20:31

1ZZ-FE

Having initially believed my 3 amigos were not sealing and causing a 'high' speed tick and spending hundreds on new parts, the tick remains and is now causing me stress.  l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49555 l

A stainless manifold, genuine gaskets, studs, bolts and I'm starting to think it's something much more serious. It has the sound of a knackered manifold gasket - a 'hollow tick'.

Could this be worn lifters/tappets?

Please, please help. A match and extra fuel will be next. This is beyond rediculous.

Regards,
Jim
Toyota Hall of Fame = 1990 H - MR2 MK2 16v ]

bluesmoke

I don't have anything helpful to add, just that I really feel for you pal. I've been there myself and the stress an unknown issue causes you is terrible. Really wish you the best of luck getting a result on this.

1ZZ-FE

Exhaust has been thoroughly examined (off the car) for pinholes/cracked welds. All good. Tried spark plugs. Still ticking. Checked resistance of injectors - all identical/in limits. Looking at aux belt tensioner and aux belt with idlers as a last resort.

Bizarre.

Regards,
Jim

p3t3

Are you able to post a video with sound?
Any landing you walk away from is a good one!

1ZZ-FE

Will certainly try! It's almost best-heard from inside the car, window down so will do that. Pretty sure I have a photo bucket account....

Andys-N20

Depending on how loud the ticking is you may be able to eliminate the cat/manifold by simply removing them and starting her up. Will be noisy but might proove out what is making the noise. Other than that I think you have the right idea by changing parts one at a time
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

1ZZ-FE

I hadn't considered that Andy, if I can't reproduce the fault with the cat pipe off the car, that would lead me to the cat material breaking down in the main cat? I did give it a good shake and couldn't hear any rattling? I'll try literally anything to be fair! It's free at least!

The more suggestions the merrier!

Regards, Jim

Tags: