Leaking thing - inner CV boot

Started by jinxedkitten, May 17, 2014, 12:53

jinxedkitten

Just noticed this rubber boot on drivers rear wheel assembly seems to be leaking lubricant...

Excuse the noobish question, I know its not the CV boot, is this the UJ boot?
Is it a big job to get fixed?
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

Wabbitkilla

Inner cv.boot is mot failure, if you are experienced with spammers not a big job but you need circlip pliers. Replacement kit from Toyota is £60, generics don't fit.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

jinxedkitten

Okedoke, her MOT is due soon and an oil change, might just do it all at once at the garage.
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

Markb

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Inner cv.boot is mot failure, if you are experienced with spammers not a big job but you need circlip pliers. Replacement kit from Toyota is £60, generics don't fit.

Ever tried the stretchy boots ?....they will fit most diameters,saves taking the joint apart as well....never used them on a 2 but they don't look much different to any other car.

This place is listing a specific inner boot for £12.20

m http://www.expressfactors.com/Single-Pa ... Page=PARTS m

Wabbitkilla

Like I said generic boots won't work, believe me I've worked on these. See those three scallops in the body of the joint? The Boot needs to match those to fit. The Toyota ones have the rubber shaped to fit them.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ShieldsOnTour

do NOT use a generic boot - my ex garage did and a year later the cv joint destroyed itself and cost me £800 for a new drive shaft (and I was lucky).
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

jinxedkitten

I have asked CTP to quote for the part so I can supply it to whoever will to do the labour. Appreciate the advice on that!

jinxedkitten

Quick question if any of you lot have done the job before yourselves - the boot is filled with grease to keep the drive shaft lubed properly,  guessing i have to top up the grease when i replace the boot?  Any ideas what you use?

Kaeo

This sort of thing  m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165705 m   s:) :) s:)  or you can get it from local motor factor.

normanh

Usually the boots come with a small sachet of the right grease or they did in the past, just enough for the CV joint.

Norman

jinxedkitten

Good to know Norman, ill ask CTP if there any included.
Thanks for the link, Kaeo, will be useful if there isn't  s:) :) s:)

Alex Knight

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Replacement kit from Toyota is £60, generics don't fit.

Ford Mondeo ones do!

I changed both my O/S CV boots, and my local MF told me they are the same boot for both ends of the shaft. They are not. They told me the outer was actually now different and out of stock. I played hell with them, and they matched the old boot to a Ford Mondeo one. Same size half-moon, fit is perfect.

p3t3

Just putting it out there....

A bike puncture repair kit is a lot cheaper and easier. Obviously it's a temporary fix but that been said, it's a temporary fix that had been good for the last 14,000 miles on mine.  s:P :P s:P
Any landing you walk away from is a good one!

jinxedkitten

I have the MrT replacement boot on its way (grease included).

Quote from: "p3t3"Just putting it out there....

A bike puncture repair kit is a lot cheaper and easier. Obviously it's a temporary fix but that been said, it's a temporary fix that had been good for the last 14,000 miles on mine.  s:P :P s:P

An interesting idea I hadn't thought of, and I will bear it in mind as an option if I can't get her to garage as soon as I'd like next time.  Personally, I would rather spend tens of pounds now and be pretty confident I won't have to shell out hundreds later if things go wrong, than spend pennies now, forget its only a temporary fix and have no reassurance my drive shaft will be happy some miles later. Personal preference I guess  s:) :) s:)
That and I'm saving my puncture repair kit for a sneaky softtop repair providing I can get some spare roof fabric soon to test glue durability out on...

Joesson

It is coming up to Easter so time for a resurrection.
My 2, PFL 2002 on 62500 miles is showing a leakage of grease from the same place as JK' s.
The boot looks to be intact and the seepage ( perhaps a tea spoon full with what is in the under tray) seems to have oozed from between the boot and the joint on the major diameter/ inside end.
I believe the clip could be tighter than it is, it seems to have a kink which gives under finger pressure.
The advice above suggests that a new boot from Mr T is the proper way to go for a replacement boot but it would seem that the CV joint clip is all that is needed in this case and a proprietary item is available from the bay c/w setting pliers.
Any previous experience or suggestion to share would be appreciated.

Carolyn

Quote from: "Joesson"It is coming up to Easter so time for a resurrection.
My 2, PFL 2002 on 62500 miles is showing a leakage of grease from the same place as JK' s.
The boot looks to be intact and the seepage ( perhaps a tea spoon full with what is in the under tray) seems to have oozed from between the boot and the joint on the major diameter/ inside end.
I believe the clip could be tighter than it is, it seems to have a kink which gives under finger pressure.
The advice above suggests that a new boot from Mr T is the proper way to go for a replacement boot but it would seem that the CV joint clip is all that is needed in this case and a proprietary item is available from the bay c/w setting pliers.

If you're sure it's a loose clip, then your solution will do fine.  When you've got the old clip off, peel the boot back and clean out as much of the old grease as you can (it's usually emulsified and looks like dirty cream).  Re-pack with black graphite grease.  

The after market clips are a bit tricky the first time you use them.  Get it bent to as close to the right diameter as you can and squeeze it as tight as possible with your hands (so it's already snug) before putting the pliers to it.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

Thank you for that Carolyn.
Would Mr T' s clip be any easier to fit?
The existing clip is flat with no indication of pliers being used , so maybe a factory thingy.
Whatever I use it will mean acquiring the tool to fit as well as the clip.
My first thought was a Jubilee type clip but I guess that is not typically used for a good reason.

Carolyn

You can buy the tool along with the clips.  There's nothing wrong with the after market ones.

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-ATV-FITS- ... 1893453867 m

I buy the bands in lots of ten....

Joesson

Thanks again, this time for the reassurance, I saw these on the bay but was unsure of the " quality"

QuoteCarolyn wrote:
I buy the bands in lots of ten

I guess you' ve done this job a few times!

Carolyn

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331322977344? ... EBIDX%3AIT m

(Just in case).

I've lost count of CV boots.... they're on bloody everything!!

Joesson

QuoteJust in case

What could possibly go wrong?!

Thanks again.

Dudi

Quote from: "Carolyn"http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331322977344?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

(Just in case).

I've lost count of CV boots.... they're on bloody everything!!

Is this a tried and tested blueprint boot?

My driver side inner CV boot is spraying grease and it's a pre facelift. Would this fit?

Carolyn

I used one like it on my car. (I'm pretty sure it was this one, but it's been a while).  The boot has the half-moon bits that fit in the grooves on the CV casing.  If in doubt, measure your drive shaft and casing.

Joesson

Quote from: "Carolyn"
Quote from: "Joesson"It is coming up to Easter so time for a resurrection.

If you're sure it's a loose clip, then your solution will do fine.  When you've got the old clip off, peel the boot back and clean out as much of the old grease as you can (it's usually emulsified and looks like dirty cream).  Re-pack with black graphite grease.  

The after market clips are a bit tricky the first time you use them.  Get it bent to as close to the right diameter as you can and squeeze it as tight as possible with your hands (so it's already snug) before putting the pliers to it.

We were away last week and will be next week but meanwhile ordered the clips and pliers and today I removed the old clip, peeled the boot back and the " grease" just  ran out and you were right about the colour.
It will be after Easter now before I get the new grease and repack and fit the new clip.
I guess that the thinner emulsified oil is why the joint leaked out as the boot seal is designed to hold in a viscous grease, so was lucky/ shows what a good look around can find, before the joint dumped all the thin gunk and terminated.
Will see what sort of mess I get in repacking the joint and if not too bad will likely repack the other joints sooner rather than later.
I' m supposing the other joints will be in a similar condition and that preventive/ preemptive maintenance will extend the life of the joints.

Carolyn

Yep - do them all...

Tags: