Leaking thing - inner CV boot

Started by jinxedkitten, May 17, 2014, 12:53

Joesson

My understanding is that I clean out the old gunk as best I can and " bearing" in mind the joints are in situ I then " fill" the bearing with the new stuff. I have an old Wanner grease gun that I could use or perhaps a plastic bag with a corner removed, like an icing bag. Or is it a case of fingers are best?
Whichever way I do it I don' t think it will be pretty!

Carolyn

Rubber gloves and fingers for me.  Don't stuff it too full.  Half grease, half air.  Get as much of the old stuff off the joint as  you can and slap plenty of grease on it.

Grease is rarely pretty.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

Thanks for that Carolyn.
I now have about ten days to get the grease, some more clips and prepare myself for the fun.

Call the midlife!

Anyone else reading all this with Frankie Valli playing away in their head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

jinxedkitten

MOD edited the title to something more useful!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

Bossworld

Can I revisit this please? Just failed MOT on inner nearside CV boot split. The garage (not the ones who MOTd it) are going to sort it, rough quote £60. He asked me if the gearbox was sealed, the honest answer is I don't know.

Anyone more mechanical know the answer? Otherwise looks like I'll need another 2l of gearbox oil too.

Carolyn

Quote from: Bossworld on May  7, 2019, 13:08
Can I revisit this please? Just failed MOT on inner nearside CV boot split. The garage (not the ones who MOTd it) are going to sort it, rough quote £60. He asked me if the gearbox was sealed, the honest answer is I don't know.

Anyone more mechanical know the answer? Otherwise looks like I'll need another 2l of gearbox oil too.

It will let oil out of the passenger side once the shaft is out.

Have them drain the box, collect the oil, and put it back in!!! (Unless it's been in there for many thousands of miles...)
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Bossworld

Quote from: Carolyn on May  7, 2019, 13:12
Quote from: Bossworld on May  7, 2019, 13:08

It will let oil out of the passenger side once the shaft is out.

Have them drain the box, collect the oil, and put it back in!!! (Unless it's been in there for many thousands of miles...)

Thank you C much appreciated.

Yes they offered to do that, clutch was only changed last summer/4000 miles ago.  Hopefully it's a relatively straight forward removal, I just haven't got time at the minute (kids, house rennovation) to try and look into it.

Bossworld

Thought I'd come back to this - two weeks (and 30 miles later), I came to change the shocks and noticed grease around the cv joint.  The boot also looked to have slipped.

Long story short, the garage were very good about it, took it back in this morning, had another boot delivered by 11am and had the car finished early this afternoon, under warranty from the previous boot change.  Their supplier had originally advised that the generic boot was correct - as per pictures/advice on this thread, can confirm that's not really the case - there are three notches in the proper boot (or copies there of) as mentioned earlier on in the thread.

All sorted now at least.

Captain Vimes

Digging up an old thread... any current recommendations where to source an appropriate inner CV boot?

Ardent

TCB? MR2ben?
Or Your local Toyota parts dept.
Toyota even seem to have an Ebay page. might even be toyota parts direct of something.

Edit
https://www.ebaystores.co.uk/ToyotaOfficialStore
if not listed. Submit request.

Captain Vimes

A bit of research suggests that BluePrint manufacture the correct tri-lobe boot. Part number is ADT38187.

https://partsfinder.bilsteingroup.com/en/article/blueprint/ADT38187?make=Toyota&model=MR2+1984+-+2007&vehicle=MR2+%28ZZW30%29+1.8+16V

Available from eBay, Amazon, AUTODOC etc.

I've ordered from a company called winparts as they were well priced and promise fast despatch. We'll see...

Ardent

Out of curiosity do you happen to have the difference in price

Captain Vimes

Quote from: Ardent on July 23, 2020, 10:14Out of curiosity do you happen to have the difference in price

Between the different suppliers?

My local motor factors = £25 each
eBay and Amazon = circa £17 each
AUTODOC = £10.50
Winparts = £8 each (plus £10 p&p)

All listing the same make/part number. I'm hoping that it's a rare enough item that there won't be fake/knock off items out there.

Previous posts suggest Toyota want circa £60 each so I didn't bother phoning them.

Captain Vimes

Quick update on this.

The delivery from Winparts arrived today and... they're spot on. Correct part and great quality.

The only downside is that they took nearly a week to arrive and comms weren't brilliant. Website said parts would be dispatched the next day but they weren't sent until 4 days later. Would use again if I have time to spare.

Tags: