Strut brace vs washer pipes

Started by AndyM, May 17, 2014, 21:20

AndyM

Hi,

After fitting my strut brace (think it's a Che) a few weeks ago I haven't had to use my washer jets. However today my car got absolutely hammered with pollen so when I pulled up in the drive I thought I'd give the windscreen a quick spray... only one washer worked.

Having a look under the bonnet it appears that the strut brace is compressing the pipes both at nearside where the pipe runs over the bottom cross-brace on the bonnet right next to the jet, and also at the offside somewhere around the Y-joint (there was even some wetness there where I assume there has been a bit of a leak from the 'Y' due to the blockage). With the heat of the past few days too it's actually lefts rubber marks on the chrome brace so you can see exactly where it's happening.

I've had a quick mess around and I can't see any way of rerouting the pipework to avoid these compression points (especially with the stock lengths of pipework). It looks like it might fit if you took the pipe the other way (i.e. even further towards the nearside and then found a way round where there is a bit more clearance) but there isn't much to attach it too and I don't want it handing loose.

Anyone else had this? Found a solution?

Cheers,
Andy
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Wabbitkilla

As it's a copy of the Cusco brace, you need to unhich the pipes from their holders and slide them back up the trailing edge of the bonnet and resecure them ... somehow.
I used those cable tie clips with double sided tape backing but they didn't last long. I found small cable ties strategically placed to keep a bit of tension in the pipes works well.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

AndyM

Thanks Nic. Had a bit of a mess about with it this morning and seem to have found a solution that is working by routing the nearside wash pipe between he bonnet skin and bracing and then spinning the Y-joint 90 degrees so it almost sits back on itself. It seems to all the pipe to naturally fall between the strut brace the largest gap.

The danger is that the hairpin style bend on the jet will close over the pipe but I've closed it all down and it's working so I'll run it for a bit and see how we go. Pictures below...

Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Tags: