Pre-03 Volume knob

Started by Anonymous, August 25, 2004, 10:53

Anonymous

On my H/U (Standard Sony pre-03 thing), the volumne control is a bit dodgy.  Sometimes when i'm trying to turn it down, things just start getting louder and louder.

Anyone else had this?  got a fix?

Anonymous

yeah, I get this once in a while.  Bought the Sony remote and now don't have to worry.

Anonymous

I would second that from Phil. Sort of had similar problems with the remote and being short of arm (and short all over really), it was a stretch to try and sort this out whilst on the move. Get the Sony remote and fit it. You would think that as the H/U is only a short distance away, you wouldn't need it. Trust me, the remote changes your life!!!

(well, a bit over exaggeration, but it is VERY good..........)

Anonymous

A remote?  in that car? you're only ever 4 inches away from any point of the car!

Surely not.

I'll look into it.  I'd consider getting a new unit, but I like the way the orange display matches the clock and that nobody will EVER try and steal it.

Darth Paul

I had the stereo volume thing in my old 2. I had the h/u replaced under warranty. This h/u is now in the new car, along with a Sony stalk remote. Yep, the car is better with it. The stereo is actually further away from the driver than in my boss' E Class.

Anonymous

I didn't realise it was a stalk control.

Hmm,

Good idea about getting it replaced.  i'll give that a go i think, the previous owner scratched off some of the paint on the search control with her nails, would be nice to get that fixed.

Might also try and get my full lock knocking sorted as well.

Anonymous

You shouldn't have any problem with a warranty claim, I am now on my third head unit, because of CD skipping problems.

Interestingly my latest H/U which is only a few months old is suffering from the black finish coming off the controls.....number 4 on its way, maybe in a month or two??

Good luck...

How much do the remotes go for and are they readily available?

Andrew

Anonymous

I got my remote for 17 quid, brand new off eBay. I think they retail for about £25 or so, I think. Where from? I am not sure anymore............

Buster might know..........

Anonymous

Is this the one?

If so, it's £25 inc vat from  w www.bassjunkies.com w

Just search for sony joystick

Sony RM-X2S

My brother had it on a 10 cd changer he used to have. They are quite good. In fact my '2 has the holes in the steering coloumn so the last owner had one but took it with them.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Yep, thats the one!   s:D :D s:D  

I thought that they were about £25 but look on eBay too. Where I got mine from a lot cheaper.........

Anonymous

Here you go. Get on there quick. Only 7 hours left!

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW m

Anonymous

I have one of those stalk thingies.. Brilliant!

Although I was talking to a car-audio place the other day, and they said that Sony have changed the firmware slightly on different models. I'm sure there are very slightly different model numbers for the stalk.. ?

I switched my head unit and CD changer out for a CDX-R3300 MP3 player last weekend anyway, and it worked perfectly with my old stalk.. 9 albums on 1 CD is fantastic.. looks great too!

Darth Paul

YOU NEED THE SONY RM-X4S FOR THE PRE-03 H/U!

See this link...

http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293&highlight=sony+stalk

Liz

Totally brilliant bit of kit - buy one!!  s:D :D s:D
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Right, getting the H/U replaced first, then i might see - don't fancy drilling holes in the steering column though.

The more knobs the better, thats what i say,

Anonymous

I leave the cover on my stereo all the time now, just use the remote, so no need to see it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Here you go. Get on there quick. Only 7 hours left!

Ive got one somewhere (will try to find it tonight), but have no instructions or wires etc.

If I do find it £15 to the first person who thinks its a fair price...or is this not a fair price?

Anonymous

need wires i think,

I could probs work out how to fix it on myself.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"
Quote from: "John Woodward"Here you go. Get on there quick. Only 7 hours left!

Ive got one somewhere (will try to find it tonight), but have no instructions or wires etc.

If I do find it £15 to the first person who thinks its a fair price...or is this not a fair price?

£15 is about right. I paid £17 on eBay, so pretty good really.

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"need wires i think,

Its dead simple. The remote itself comes with one wire only and there is a jack plug on the end of it. All you need to do is locate the jack socket at the back of the unit (bottom right of the unit as you look at it if I remember correctly) and then lug it in and away you go. No woring necessary!!! HURRAH!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

What about the wires?

wont somebody think about the wires!

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"I leave the cover on my stereo all the time now, just use the remote, so no need to see it.

Do exactly the same. Don't need to see the stereo at all with the stalk.

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"Right, getting the H/U replaced first, then i might see - don't fancy drilling holes in the steering column though.

The more knobs the better, thats what i say,

It only needs two small ones. One for the screw that holds the stalk on (you could omit this completely if you rely on the sticky pad that comes supplied, but this does make it a little wobbly, although secure) and one large enough to fit the jack plug through. If I recall, the latter is no bigger than about 1/3 inch in diameter? And the holes are covered by the stalk anyway, so won't see them. It really is a very neat and easy job.

Liz

Quote from: "odub"need wires i think,

I finished mine off myself...and if a girl can do it   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Just threadle the wires down past the steering column and stick it in the back of the stereo with the jack plug, if you are unsure about where the socket is on the back of the head unit - do a search - I posted some pictures on here ages ago of where it is.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

I didn't drill a second hole like John suggests... just thread the cable through a couple of panels and then taped it to the back of them.  So only one hole to hold the remote on.

Tags: