Somebody PLEASE sell me a lower steering u-joint x

Started by nickthedinosaur, June 23, 2014, 23:19

nickthedinosaur

Honestly I've looked EVERYWHERE for a second hand one and really can't justify spending £250 on a new one  s:( :( s:(  

I'm at a loss now
MR2 Roadster in Red, AC + Hardtop (when a cheap enough fitting kit comes along).

Treboeth

Have you tried Mattperformance in the Affiliates section?

nickthedinosaur

yeah mate, no response as of yet  s:( :( s:(  might have a chance of one from the silver breaker in the sales section though *fingers crossed*
MR2 Roadster in Red, AC + Hardtop (when a cheap enough fitting kit comes along).

wotugonado

There was one on ebay the other day.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

moorx

Is this one?   s:?: :?: s:?:  

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-Ro ... 2ed3570567 m

nickthedinosaur

it is yeah, I noticed it a couple of hours after posting on the silver breaker thread.  Thanks guys!

nickthedinosaur

Just changed the UJ over and its like a completely different car, i think the one that i took off was like a weird frankenstein half oem/half home fabricated thing   s:? :? s:?   do you reckon mattperformance will still want it for refurb??

cheers guys!
Foxy -   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:   thanks for selling me it in the first place!
Les - awesome guide for changing!

StuC

Welcome to the club Nick  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Now you get to enjoy your 2!!  s8) 8) s8)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Treboeth

Glad you got it sorted , better post up some pics someone may recognise it:D

nickthedinosaur

Heres the cheeky bodge job :p

and Here's the 2 in all of its glory  s:) :) s:)  
It's going to need a bit of TLC but over time I think I'll get there.

foxy-stoat

Am sure that repair did the job when fitted, and a lot cheaper than buying new.

Glad its all fixed with genuine parts now though   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

bluesmoke

How do you know if you need one of these replacing? While I have two MR-S's on the drive I'd definitely like to be sure I've got the best UJ on the one I'm building.

foxy-stoat

Grab hold of the U joint after removing the spare wheel plastic and get some one to rock the wheel from side to side.  You will be able to feel if there is any play.  Similarly do the same to the U joints inside the car.

bluesmoke

Right. I will give that a try. But will it be obvious there's something wrong if you've never done this before?

foxy-stoat

You will feel play from the joint, ie the steering wheel turns from one direction to the other but the play in the joint means the rack doesn't move with the wheel.  You will soon know if its good or bad.

bluesmoke

Ah OK that makes sense. Thanks matey.

nickthedinosaur

you'll notice it's extremely easy to turn the top part of the UJ slightly from in the frunk (the bit eventually attached to the steering wheel), obviously without the wheels moving... unless you have an uber strong thumb and index finger!!!

nickthedinosaur

Quote from: "foxy-stoat"Am sure that repair did the job when fitted, and a lot cheaper than buying new.

Glad its all fixed with genuine parts now though   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Totally sorted spot on dude, so glad. and I can sleep easy knowing it won't go wrong in a hurry!

Standard

Arise from the thy ashes thread!

Anyone know where I can get a quality Lower UJ at a good price?

jonty

TCB Parts, you have to phone and order but they'll have it with you in a day or two. It's around £100 and seems decent quality

JoeCool

They are out of stock right now but he posted this week stating he hopes to have them back in ASAP - there's a delivery on the way I believe.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Essex2Visuvesi

Am I allowed to mention the "Scottish breaker"

shnazzle

Scottish? You mean Dick?
...neutiquam erro.

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "shnazzle"Scottish? You mean Dick?

Indeedy

shnazzle

Trusted breaker. Contact details are in the appropriate section in Marketplace  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: