rear heated window wires.... help

Started by Anonymous, September 2, 2004, 16:10

Anonymous

hi there just bought my new mr2 with hard top etc

as it was nice and sunny i took off the hard top, unclipped the 4 latches and unplugged the wire going to the rear window.

I then tooked the wire into the side pocket area......

My question is do i need to plug anything in to make the soft top roof work???

when ive looked behind the rear parcel area i see where the wires are but dont quite know what to do

tried my local mr t and could not understand what he was on about

Anonymous

Yep, there's a similar cable running down from the softtop, plug that into the socket behind the seats that the hardtop was plugged into.

darrenjuggins

Check your user manual, the diagram for the wire of hard top / softtop is in there.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

filcee

Except that I've never plugged the cable in for my soft top - ever (I don't think).

I've never plugged it in because there's always a chance of leaving it on when the roof is down and melting the roof material (see manual for the warning).  That, and the fact that I drive with the top down every chance I get in the summer means I don't really need it to be working.

Or, I might just be too idle to connect it  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Bongo

always good to tuck the wire from the hardtop away in that little area than to leave it dangling around though.

heathstimpson

And to be honest the rear heater on the soft top doesn't work that well really  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

even with everyones help i was still stuck. Basically when i removed thehard top i unplugged the wire. I expected that i would then have to plug this into the soft top.

Anyways, i went ot MR2 today. He said that all i had to do was pull out the little wire and plug for the soft top. This is the one that is located and a little pocket of fabric next to where the wire actually connects to the glass. He was supprised to see that it was already connected. He stated that the soft top must always be connected and that the wire i unplugged would only be plugged in and used when i use the hard top.

It appears he would be right because when you feel the little pocket it does feel as though a plug is connected already.

Anyway i got the old multimeter out to test this and found that no power was going to the read window connectors, so now im stuck. Going to wait for cold weather to actually test it.

Darth Paul

Right then...

A is the 'real' electrical connector port, whereas B is just somewhere to stick the hardtop wire to stop it from rattling around.

When you mount the hardtop –

Disconnect the softtop wire from A and disconnect the hardtop wire from B. Swap them round – put the hardtop wire in A and the softtop wire in B. Then plug the other end of the hardtop wire into the hardtop, et voila!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Thanks very vyer much darth paul.... printed it out and went into the lugage bays etc and got it working.

a big  big thanks

Darth Paul

Happy to help.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Admin – perhaps this thread should be locked and stickied – for future reference?

Bongo

My wires seem to have disapeared   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I've spent a good half hour or so looking for the actual pluging in bit (i have the wire from the HT to the plug) but can't find it.

A Toyota tech took a look for me today aswell and they couldn't find it either - they suggested that i took some trim panels off and looked for it myself as they'd have to charge me at least £50 ex VAT tp have a go.

Does anyone have any idea of a likely place for the wires/connector thing to have run off to?

Anonymous

Heya,
       Err the tech didn't know... bummer:

you need to open the rear storage bin doors

then pull off the drivers side end panel (there's these cool retaining pins, one at the front and top, the other at the back of the bin in the bottom left.  Pull these and they pop out, and the whole panel comes out.

Now behind this planel to the left, there's the connector the soft top plugs into, and where you should plug the hardtop in.

It's a tad wierd but not that hard to find.

Bongo

We've both looked there...

I found it quite easily last time when i was unplugging the hardtop, which is why i'm rather confused   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

If we're talking the socket, then I really doubt it's moved/been stolen.

Must say if you've got the roof up and it's darkish then it can be a fiddle to find, but to be honest most of the problems I've had have been threading the HT wire through the closed softtop.

Bongo

I had 2 thoughts on the matter:

1. I;m being an idiot and it's right in front of me.

2. Something may have happened to it when Mr T replaced the seatbelt.

At the minute I don't know which of the 2 is more likely   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Comer

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong but what is missing?  the lead or the socket?

On my car there are two leads.  One long one to / from your hardtop and one which is fixed to the softtop.

I looked at mine at the weekend and the softtop lead connects to a proper socket with pins etc.  My loose hardtop lead that I disconnected from my hardtop is 'plugged' into a hole which is shaped like a socket but has no pins in it.  It doesn't need any power because it is just storing the end of the redundant lead.  

The lead clips into this 'hole' just as it would the powered socket because of it's shape.

This weekend when I fit my hardtop, I will be disconnecting the softtop lead from the powered socket and clipping it into the 'hole' and clipping the longer hardtop lead into the powered socket and the socket on the inside of the hardtop.

I hope this helps   s:) :) s:)

Apologies DP, I've just noticed that your post says exactly the same   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Tem

Quote from: "Darth Paul"Disconnect the softtop wire from A and disconnect the hardtop wire from B. Swap them round – put the hardtop wire in A and the softtop wire in B. Then plug the other end of the hardtop wire into the hardtop, et voila!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

So there should be a separate wire to plug the hardtop to the wires in the car? Mine came without one and I spend some time wondering how the he*l it's supposed to reach the hardtop plug  s:? :? s:?

Apparently this one?
Defroster Cable 82187-17030 £10.51
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

tselwyn

I'm going slightly mad...    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I've lost the connector block that is meant to be benhind the panel bin - as per the excellent photo at the bottom of:

m http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php? ... l=demister m

That photo actually saved my sanity - I only have the small hole which presumably is meant to hold the connector block in place (am guessing that the excessive packing for Corfu may have dislodged it, and it then just fall over the edge of the panel, vanishing from sight).

My question to those of you who have taken your car apart more than me, should I just remove the panel which has the drivers side seat belt going through it, as per:

m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2000/Oct/ ... ardtop.htm m

Or should I take out the driver's storage bin?  Is it just a matter of unscrewing the obvious screws (presuming they are screws and not some sort of bolt with an impossible to access nut - please confirm!).  And can I remove the driver's bin without taking the panel (with the seatbelt through it) off.

By the way - thanks go to Spyderchat for excellent photos once again!!

Thanks for the advice in advance!    s:D :D s:D
[size=85]03 sable, bodykit, tte springs, dev\'s keyhole covers, tte

rmowbray

Removing the storage bin isn't too much of a problem, but you might not need to go that far.

First remove the sill cover panel: Unpop it from the seatbelt cover panel, lift it starting from the inside edge close to the seatbelt panel. It should just pop off with a bit of waggling.

Second remove the seatbelt cover panel: remove the two pop studs from the top by pushing the centre in then lifting them out. Remove the panel by grabbing the inside bottom and pulling it towards the front of the car. You can pull it out of the way with the seatbelt still installed.

Hopefully you will then be able to find the connector. If not the base is held with 5 screws, 3 that also hold the door on and two at the back. You'll need to open the other locker door to manouver it out.

Richard

tselwyn

Thanks very much Richard - just what I love about MR2ROC!!!    s:D :D s:D  

Gonna be a chilly job this weekend!!
[size=85]03 sable, bodykit, tte springs, dev\'s keyhole covers, tte

TO-OLD

When i remove my hardtop i dont have any wires/connections on the actual hardtop  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

demsdad

Hi,
Am having the same problem as tselwyn.  (By the way I spent a lot of time reading the thread and got a perverse kick out of knowing that I am not the only one).  I too couldn't find the connector block.  Where it should be is an indentation presumably to seat the block, but no block.  Before we installed the hard top we tried to trace the demister wire from the soft top to find the connector but the wire just disappears behind some cloth trim and without ripping the trim off we couldn't trace where it eventually goes.  I wonder how tselwyn got on.  Did he find it in the end using Richards advice?  Well in the meantime we're gonna get Christmas dinner out of the way and have another go at searching.

uktotty

Quote from: "TO-OLD"When i remove my hardtop i dont have any wires/connections on the actual hardtop  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

So that rather electrical looking socket thing just to the right of the hardtop clip is not the electrical connector you are looking for then??

Anonymous

Quote from: "demsdad"Hi,
Am having the same problem as tselwyn.  (By the way I spent a lot of time reading the thread and got a perverse kick out of knowing that I am not the only one).  I too couldn't find the connector block.  Where it should be is an indentation presumably to seat the block, but no block.  Before we installed the hard top we tried to trace the demister wire from the soft top to find the connector but the wire just disappears behind some cloth trim and without ripping the trim off we couldn't trace where it eventually goes.  I wonder how tselwyn got on.  Did he find it in the end using Richards advice?  Well in the meantime we're gonna get Christmas dinner out of the way and have another go at searching.

Are you trying to find where to plug it in, re above? Or the wire with the block on the end?

demsdad

I'm looking for the wire with the block on the end, where the soft top cable is connected to and where I should connect the hard top cable in its place.

Tags: