No power, doesnt rev much. help

Started by GT4thomas, July 19, 2014, 16:20

GT4thomas

Hi, just bought the car and its worryingly slow.

Doesn't want to rev or gane speed, feels like there's a limiter on it. Struggles to get to 40mph  s:( :( s:( .

Fitted new air filter and cleaned maf and reset ecu. helped a very small amount. On the way home today it would not go past 40mph.

Anyone else experienced this ?. Any advice or info on what to do would be awesome.

StuC

Does the engine light come on and go out?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

GT4thomas

No engine light on. I tried driving a bit with the maf unplugged, wouldn't rev past 3000rpm.

moorx

But does the engine light come on when you turn the ignition, then go out?  Or is it not coming on at all?

Where did you buy it?  Private seller or trade?

GT4thomas

Yeh light comes on and goes out as normal.

Bought it from a garage in Plymouth.

All the plugs look like this

Maf looks like this inside.

Lower probe looks slightly charred ?, ive cleaned it twice. Could try and borrow a maf from someone and test it in mine

stupink

where abouts in cornwall are you? im plympton myself, happy to help out if i can.  if you read the codes, you maaay find a pending code,  wont cause a light untill its a fully logged code..
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

StuC

Was it a private sale or a trader?

moorx

Quote from: "GT4thomas"Bought it from a garage in Plymouth.

StuC

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
Completely missed that. Does it show?

I'd be tempted to give it back to them to sort it out.

Wabbitkilla

Oil soaked plugs, take it back and get them to sort it.
I suspect another oil burner being passed on!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

s12vea

s:( :( s:(
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

moorx

Quote from: "StuC"I'd be tempted to give it back to them to sort it out.

Me too   s:( :( s:(    Did it come with a warranty?

s12vea

Take it back to the garage you haven't had it long, let them sort it out! What's the mileage and how much did you pay?
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

GT4thomas

It would be extremely difficult for me to take it back as i need it every day for work. I live in Cornwall and the garage is in Plymouth. Didn't come with warranty, couldn't afford it at the time.

If i can fix it myself id prefer that. Was gonna get new plugs next week hope it will make a difference. Someone else needs to drive it i think to find out whats wrong.
Ill see if i can borrow a code reader to find any stored codes.

Oil has been changed few days ago and reads full (will check level again tomorrow).

Mileage is 62,000 i think Payed £2600

Shame really my view on the mk3 has been tarnished by all this   s:( :( s:(  .

moorx

It's up to you of course, but if it were me, I'd be taking it back and demanding a courtesy car while they fix it/get it fixed!

Davegtst

If I paid £2600 and it didn't run properly if be taking it back, can you afford 1k plus for a new engine.   I can't remember the exact words but the dealer has to make sure what he sells you is of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.   Your car is neither.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Davegtst"If I paid £2600 and it didn't run properly if be taking it back, can you afford 1k plus for a new engine.   I can't remember the exact words but the dealer has to make sure what he sells you is of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.   Your car is neither.

There is a lot of sense here.
You have statutory rights regardless of warranty, this car is not fit for purpose and should be taken back and rejected if necessary.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Jandaw

Let's assume the car was ok when you test drove it and when you picked it up from the garage. If not it has to go back regardless.

Or, at what point did it start to play up? After the oil change? Has it been overfilled?

What else did you do? How did you clean the MAF.

You need to backtrack to the point where it was running ok and check out what you may have done.

If you didn't cause the problem cut your losses and get it back to the vendor.

moorx

Another post from OP with more info here:

l viewtopic.php?f=75&t=50988 l

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "moorx"Another post from OP with more info here:

l viewtopic.php?f=75&t=50988 l

Back to seller, it's never been right

carolineasb

+ 1 on that too!  Check the state of the filter too on the other post if it came straight from a garage  s:( :( s:(
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

GT4thomas

Quote from: "Jandaw"Let's assume the car was ok when you test drove it and when you picked it up from the garage. If not it has to go back regardless.

Or, at what point did it start to play up? After the oil change? Has it been overfilled?

What else did you do? How did you clean the MAF.

You need to backtrack to the point where it was running ok and check out what you may have done.

If you didn't cause the problem cut your losses and get it back to the vendor.

I used electrical contact cleaner to clean the maf.

They did an oil change before i drove it home, would over fling cause these problems ?. Or wrong grade of oil ?.

Did seem ok on the way home.

Wabbitkilla

OK back to basics.
How many miles have you done since the oil was put in and how much is showing on the dipstick?

GT4thomas

This is the oil level of today, has gone down. Should i top it up ?. Done about 350 mlies

Would cleaning the plugs help ?. Cant afford new ones yet, let alone fuel to take it back to Plymouth   s:( :( s:(  .

Wabbitkilla

How many miles have you driven?

Tags: